Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What sort of Grease for Whippy and Hedge Trimmer gearcase

Default Re: What sort of Grease for Whippy and Hedge Trimmer gearcase

I do mine monthly but if I am using it really hard on clean ups I will do it earlier.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Guys. The Honda UMK425 doesnt have any grease nipples or anything in the manual about how to change the grease in the gear head.
    Ive been looking around the net for ages and still nothing on this.?
    Ive been running the Honda for nearly 2 years now and have never put grease in the gear case.?

Just making sure ive got this right tho. The gear case is where the blades or trimmer line attachment bolts onto the whippy isnt it?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Guys. The Honda UMK425 doesnt have any grease nipples or anything in the manual about how to change the grease in the gear head.
    Ive been looking around the net for ages and still nothing on this.?
    Ive been running the Honda for nearly 2 years now and have never put grease in the gear case.?

Just making sure ive got this right tho. The gear case is where the blades or trimmer line attachment bolts onto the whippy isnt it?
    yes it is
    i don't know about the honda but on the shindy 260 there isn't a grease nipple but a nut on the head they don't use nipples because the pressure so close to the head could force dirt into the nipple and then into the gears

now on the shindy head there are three bolts the one closest to the motor bolts the head on the next one down simply goes into a hole and stops the head rotating on the shaft and the last one which is closest to the blade/trimmer head is the one for greasing the gears you remove the trimmer head and all the other bits including on the shindy a spacer then remove this lower nut and simply pump grease in through until the old grease has been pushed out then reassemble
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    yes it is
    i don't know about the honda but on the shindy 260 there isn't a grease nipple but a nut on the head they don't use nipples because the pressure so close to the head could force dirt into the nipple and then into the gears

now on the shindy head there are three bolts the one closest to the motor bolts the head on the next one down simply goes into a hole and stops the head rotating on the shaft and the last one which is closest to the blade/trimmer head is the one for greasing the gears you remove the trimmer head and all the other bits including on the shindy a spacer then remove this lower nut and simply pump grease in through until the old grease has been pushed out then reassemble
    Probably the correct way to do them but my kaaz sticks I just pump it in - also have put a nipple on permanently. One of my kaaz sticks is 18 yrs old with an old cheapy motor on it but the gear case is still ok!!!

shindaiwa t260 manual says every 50 hours so about once a month
    So would Ian do 50hrs b/cutting monthly????

I do mine fortnightly, just pull the bolt out and pump the high temp bearing grease through with the grease gun.
    I put nearly 5 hours on my brushie just today and probably average close to 20 hours a week.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Probably the correct way to do them but my kaaz sticks I just pump it in - also have put a nipple on permanently. One of my kaaz sticks is 18 yrs old with an old cheapy motor on it but the gear case is still ok!!!
    Mate I tried to pump grease in through bolt hole but was a pain so got a couple of grease nipples and just screw one in when I grease the bearings. Took some time sourcing the correct nipples though for the Kaaz.

Member of forum watlebird mowing's Avatar

Thanks guys, my snipper is about 6 month old now and I have never done this, off to get some grease tommorrow.

I just checked the UMK honda. It does have a small screw on the lower side of the casing.
    I unscrewed it and it was full of grease....
    Screwed it back in. If there is grease in it , it should be OK i suppose?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

yes it is
    a lot of grease nipples you can get have a small cap on them to keep dirt out

try a bearing place

i mentioned somewhere else that i read in the stihl manual that too much grease is bad and can stuff your gearbox but wasnt sure why.. anyway found this on the net:

Too much grease causes the seals to blow out or leak. When you are running your trimmer, the grease heats up and expands. Seals can't handle the expansion if there is too much grease.

makes sense to me now so keep in mind ppl

Thanx Chris, I have been guilty of this.
    You need it on the moving parts, not clogging up the gearbox.
    My old echo multitool hedger would just push it out through the felt pads.
    Cheers Fred.

off the top of my head the stihl trimmers pretty much have no where for the excess grease to go so maybe other brands are different?
    i notice with my stihl hedgetrimmer the grease has somewhere to escape though.

Twice a month would be a good idea on your brushcutters .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

With the stihl is what i do take off trimmer head whip all grease out of gears....then replace with stihl grease....just the way i roll....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast