Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going on the front foot

Default Re: Going on the front foot

Sounds good! have u worked out the details & legalities of this?
    Do u have past experience with this type of set up?
    Cheers Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    great attitude Dean, nice to know you can teach someone well, not only the physical aspects of the job, but also the wherewithal to self-improve & prosper - good on ya!
    Ah, shucks Redeye, now how am I gunna get out of this room???.
    Cheers Dean.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves View Post
    Sounds good! have u worked out the details & legalities of this?
    Do u have past experience with this type of set up?
    Cheers Dean.
    It would be best set up as a company, say you own 50% and two partners have a 25% share each for example... or all 3 have 33.333% share in the compay. So you would be paid 33% of the profit after your wage and cost etc.

My point is you would be better off having a group of motivated staff that have a share and "interest" in growing the business. You would inturn attract more quality staff and some may be happy to be just employees.

It is about giving people that have helped build your business -options.

I haven't done this for lawn mowing yet, but i know it wouldn't be hard to find people who would be interested in this type of arrangement. In my previous business, i had a similar system that worked great and retained staff and why i thought it would be great idea for this industry.

I guess you just have to decide if you wanna be a one man band with no staff, work long hours dont get paid when your on holidays, sick etc, or a one man band with a casual/part time staff with possibility of high turnover of staff and hours wasted on training and development etc or you become a decent size business with a few business partners with similar goals to get a strong foothold in your region and establish a profitable business where staff want to work for the business.

There is no right or wrong... but i know what i would perfer as a long term business.

Again, just a thought

Simmo.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Rockin Re: Going on the front foot

Due to our super spring down here in Melb, cant seem to keep up with our gardening regulars, particuarly the pruning side of things.
    Thinking about being up front, explaining the situation & asking 4 extra time to maintain a high standard.
    What do u guys wreckon? Good idea or sound like winging?
    Concerned they may think Im just trying to up sell, u know, like when u need new brake pads & they always want to machine your discs
    Cheersd Dean.
    Honesty is the best policy, 99.9% of clients will understand. I would not worry a single bit. The worst that could happen is they go elsewhere. A good problem to have I say.

There is a million jobs waiting with our names on it. I have not worked for over 3 weeks and I'm chillin kicking back watching the grass grow knowing that I will be back into the thick of things very very soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    It would be best set up as a company, say you own 50% and two partners have a 25% share each for example... or all 3 have 33.333% share in the compay. So you would be paid 33% of the profit after your wage and cost etc.

My point is you would be better off having a group of motivated staff that have a share and "interest" in growing the business. You would inturn attract more quality staff and some may be happy to be just employees.

It is about giving people that have helped build your business -options.

I haven't done this for lawn mowing yet, but i know it wouldn't be hard to find people who would be interested in this type of arrangement. In my previous business, i had a similar system that worked great and retained staff and why i thought it would be great idea for this industry.

I guess you just have to decide if you wanna be a one man band with no staff, work long hours dont get paid when your on holidays, sick etc, or a one man band with a casual/part time staff with possibility of high turnover of staff and hours wasted on training and development etc or you become a decent size business with a few business partners with similar goals to get a strong foothold in your region and establish a profitable business where staff want to work for the business.

There is no right or wrong... but i know what i would perfer as a long term business.

Again, just a thought

Simmo.
    Been thinking this through, but cant really see the point?
    The income is obviously split 3 ways & we,ll still need employees.
    Just because the business is bigger, does'nt necessarily make it better or more profitable IMHO?
    Food 4 thought though, thanks 4 your imput.
    Need to do something though, as the last couple of guys Ive booked work in 4 have'nt shown.
    This has become frustrating & embarrassing, I hate letting ppl down
    Cheers Dean.

Been thinking this through, but cant really see the point?
    The income is obviously split 3 ways & we,ll still need employees.
    Just because the business is bigger, does'nt necessarily make it better or more profitable IMHO?
    Food 4 thought though, thanks 4 your imput.
    Need to do something though, as the last couple of guys Ive booked work in 4 have'nt shown.
    This has become frustrating & embarrassing, I hate letting ppl down
    Cheers Dean.
    I don't know about everyone else but I know why I went into this business. It was because I wanted to be my own boss and do what i wanted to do. I actually shudder at the idea of going into business with other people. Just about everything I have seen like this has ended up in disaster. Might be good for some but definitely not for me. I like doing things the way I do and not answering to anyone else.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

OK, not looking to over complicate this matter, perhaps just a double visit to catch up.
    Prob is, even if they allowed this Im not sure I could find the time.
    The Xmas rush certainly isnt over 4 us yet its still going nuts.
    Tried a few guys out just prior to Xmas, who were OK,but thats not good enough!
    Really need to find a young guy with the right attitude that WANTS the job. Wiling to pay them a good rate & teach them all I can, but want someone who,s serious about getting into the caper.
    Nothing worse than spending a couple of months teaching, only to find out that their hearts not really in it, & you're back to square 1.
    Last young fella that spent 2.5years with me is now working 4 himself & has more employees than I.
    Got an ad in seek .com at the moment, will see how we go???
    Cant remember what I was gunna waffle on about the other night
    Cheers Dean.
    Dean
    Not sure if you have been down this path at all but a local employment agency contacted me yesterday regarding taking someone on for unpaid work experience.

This is part of the info sent to me
    UNPAID WORK EXPERIENCE DETAILS:-

Unpaid work experience provides your company an opportunity to find staff, at no cost or liability to you what-so-ever, for a period of time and to assess suitability while providing you a free “pair of helping hands” so to speak.

Specific work times are according to your schedules, work can range from 12 hours to a maximum of 25 hours per week.

Placements cannot, under any circumstances, be extended beyond 4 weeks.

As a Job Services Australia Provider, TURSA Employment & Training will cover clients for all insurance liabilities at the work site(s) for the duration of the work experience subject to conducting our risk assessment.

· You do not pay the client remuneration.

· Work Experience clients attend an interview with you prior to placement.

· You are NOT bound to have to place any client.

· Max time is 100 hours over a 4 week period.

· A timesheet is completed to track hours worked.

· An Agreement and Risk Assessments are completed as proof we have a good faith agreement and you observe OHS requirements.

· TURSA covers clients at the work site for all insurance liability, according to the agreement.

· We expect to be contacted if clients display unacceptable work habits, so we can redirect to other appropriate organisations for assistance. (work ethic issues, personal presentation etc).

· Unsuitable clients can be removed from the placement at any time .

· Paid staff cannot be dismissed or hours reduced due to having a free placement.

· Wage subsidies may apply if a client is subsequently placed in paid employment with you, during or after the work experience period. (Depends on clients profile).

· An excellent opportunity to find suitable staff.

The young fellow they were looking place here had already done cert II Hort .
    Maybe worth a try down your way.

Cheers
    Glenn
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Thanks Glenn,
    but I would'nt take someone on even on a trial basis without paying them, thats just not right!
    If u do a fair days work, u should get a fair days pay, even on a trial basis.
    We are actually trying a young fella out from Brissy at the moment & he's doing quite OK.
    Thanks 4 your interest.
    Cheers Dean.

"unpaid work experience" sounds suspiciously like "work for the dole" with a new name

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    "unpaid work experience" sounds suspiciously like "work for the dole" with a new name
    now redeye that's just a silly thing to say everybody knows work for the dole was an evil scheme put in place by the howard government "unpaid work experience" is a great ,wonderful scheme brought in by our benevolent and fantastic Gillard government in no way are they similar for a start one has 4 words and 14 letters and the other has 3 words and 20 letters so totally different
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123