Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Contractors List

Default Preferred Contractors List

I have been asked if i want to go on a Preferred Contractors List for a Body Corporate/Owners Corp Company. How it works is you pay them $169 a month and during that month you and up to 5 other gardeners will get preferred treatment when it comes to receiving gardening/lawnmowing work.

In the past we have received this for free but they now want money for it. On the up side its regular work and they pay a decent wage.

Whats your thoughts is it worth it?

Default Re: Preferred Contractors List

as far as my thoughts go????

Extortion

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Especially after getting these jobs for free for the last 20 years lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    I have been asked if i want to go on a Preferred Contractors List for a Body Corporate/Owners Corp Company. How it works is you pay them $169 a month and during that month you and up to 5 other gardeners will get preferred treatment when it comes to receiving gardening/lawnmowing work.

In the past we have received this for free but they now want money for it. On the up side its regular work and they pay a decent wage.

Do it for a month and gauge the amount of work you get as opposed to the cost of the fee. Can you look back on your books to see how much work you have got off them and in which months. Seems a bit steep to me and if I were you I would be adding a bit extra on my fees.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

The work they supplied was up and down one week you would get nothing next might be a reg worth $180 a visit, they have promised more consistant work if i pay up and of course i always believe people when they are trying to sell me something .

Do you play two up. Come in spinner.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Sounds like a scam to me are they giving you any gurantee you get work after you pay the money.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

They already have a list of preferred contractors, they won't waste their time, energy and money chasing around for the best price. It's not like they're paying anything for your services, they would build it in to the body corp management fee.

It's just plain greed. Having said that bet the work stops coming your way if you don't pay.

Personally I wouldn't even consider it unless you upped your rates to cover the fee - add at least 25%. Like I said, they aren't paying so won't care what the costs.
    ~ Joanne ~

Sounds a bit like you'd be paying for competition... you pay them to supply 1 quote while they get 3 more payment and 3 more quotes...

Unless they are going to guarantee you work over and above your fee I would be dubious about it. I would be worried about having 5 other contractors as competition in this environment. With $169 from each of you they are taking in $1014 a month and how do you know they don't have more than 6 other contractors. I agree with Joanne they are just being greedy seeing an opportunity to make a bit extra and hoping you will take the bait.
    Cheers

Bluey

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post

I would be calling in to have a word to them and let them know your thoughts. Your reliability and work over the last 10 years must count for something and if they dont think it does then I would tell them to look elsewhere. Unless of course they would put everything in writing with guarantees - WHAT COULD YOU DO WITH $169 ADVERTISING MONTHLY???

Is it even legal??

It sounds ridiculous to me. Isn't it why they get paid fees by their clients to organise contractors? Now they are trying to make profit twice out of each job that needs doing. I would tell them to shove it up their ass.

The world is about negotiation, bargaining and haggling.

Counter with - "We give preferential service to preferred clients. To have your business added to our Preferred Client list and participate in this program, please forward your $169 each month"

Perhaps you might agree for mutual membership in each other's programs at no net cost each?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Is it even legal??
    yeah true, it's like having a scheduled monthly kick back... bet they won't put it in writing, some so called brainiac is trying to justify their position by inventing a hair brain scheme! It'll fall over scooby just make sure they remember you when it does cause they'll need to get the work done regardless of their financial position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast