Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick of people wanting quotes

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Sick of people wanting quotes

I am sick of people ringing me wanting quotes. I am completly booked out untill monday so 5 days away and people are asking for quotes. Had some guy today said he had rung 7 contractors wanting his yard done by friday with no luck.

I tell them look my prices are pretty reasonable there are a lot of guys out there dearer than me if you want to book in the yard ill give you the price on arrival but im not making a special trip. However this doesnt seem acceptable for people. I am happy just doing the ones that dont ask the price.

I also had a lady ring me at 5 past 5 saying come mow my yard the address is *&^** i said to her hang on when would you like it mowed. Her replie "now" I said to her i have just got home after working since 630 this morning. I am tired and done 12 yards (wasnt quite that many and i had been home nearly an hour) and im booked out till monday any way she replied with "thats pretty useless for me, well if you dont want the work than you can get ****ed" and hung up on me. She was probably a pita wanting to pay **** all anyway.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Default Re: Sick of people wanting quotes

Make the most of it. When the work drops off you will be waiting on the phone to ring. Unfortunately this is just part of the game. Just pick the eyes out of the calls or if you like refer work to another contractor looking for work. I had one on the way home yesterday pushing to have it done asap. Said I would have a look and it was a reasonably small yard of buffalo not to badly overgrown. Doubled my price and said I would do it on the spot. Got the job and it was done in 20 mins flat. She was happy and I got a bonus for the day.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Geez tender,sounds like a rude ***** ..i think when she said "now" i would've done the hung-up. Im pretty much in the same boat as you, when you have a little bit on the last thing u wanna do is quote lawns and then return to do them, especially when they could be for a $35-40. If they cant wait 1-2 days stuff em, just impatient pitas that in the long run stuff ya around anyways.
    Cheers.
    MIGHTY MOW Lawn & Garden Services
    Brett Youlten
    Mob: 0415 112 163
    Web: www.mightymow.com.au

Email: info@mightymow.com.au
    Proudly Australian Owned

Unfortunately that is part of the job, You need to allow time to do quotes and book in new jobs, if you are going to be in the area in a day or two say you will quote it then, but also let them know that the job can't be completed until at least monday as you are already booked up til then, If you are up front with that then I find people are usually happy to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjaryan View Post
    Unfortunately that is part of the job, You need to allow time to do quotes and book in new jobs, if you are going to be in the area in a day or two say you will quote it then, but also let them know that the job can't be completed until at least monday as you are already booked up til then, If you are up front with that then I find people are usually happy to wait.
    Some are, some hang up in your ear. This time of the year when there is that much work you cant get it all done i don't want to be wasting my time with the one's like i did today where they go how much is this oh arm how much if this oh arm leg.

Stop complaining!! The phone is ringing and you are booked out!!
    Let them know your terms and if they dont like it , move on. Do as Bluey says and make the most of it, as it doesnt last.
    Work with it and not against it. THATS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST!!

I simply tell them straight up, "Sorry no use giving you a quote, I just simply don't have the time at the moment"

jas

Very Helpful Member

tell them when your in the area you can do the quote otherwise they will have to get someone else then if you do the quote charge extra as it is supply and demand make the most of it while the demand for work is high and the supply of labour is low
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Here's a thought TLLG. Tell them you have a $50 quote fee. Bet you won't have too much trouble after that. Who knows you may make a bit of an earn.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Here's a thought TLLG. Tell them you have a $50 quote fee. Bet you won't have too much trouble after that. Who knows you may make a bit of an earn.
    yeah you would. 50 quote fee than 45 for the yard to be mowed. lol

mate after twenty plus years i never get sick of people wanting quotes....you never know whats around the corner ..plenty of gold mines out there , you just have to find them ...wont do that by putting head in the sand..........

Take their name and number and offer them a quote when your not so busy, two quotes I did today were people wanting a regular service starting before xmas, they got cowboys and now we'll see if they change over.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Have to admit I am sick of the phone ringing for quotes. It has been worse the last 2 weeks. Had 9 messages and 12 missed calls yesterday and that doesn't include the ones I answered.
    Come on Rick come back from holidays its driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    mate after twenty plus years i never get sick of people wanting quotes....you never know whats around the corner ..plenty of gold mines out there , you just have to find them ...wont do that by putting head in the sand..........
    Up here a quote usally means i have a really overgrown yard and want to pay peanuts. worse thing too is you turn up to quote and after driving half way across town you find out that they decided to get there brother to do it.

Quoting is all part of the game
    You don't quote you don't work,you don't work,you don't eat,you don't eat............................................... ................................
    you know how the rest of it goes
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast