Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: New Member/Masport Reel Mowers

Default New Member/Masport Reel Mowers

hi everyone,
    long time lurker here, finally joined up today. i have learned a lot from everyone's posts and it's great to see everyone so eager to share their experience!

im in the process of setting up a lawn and garden maintenance/cleanup service here in perth, will be starting off part time and then hopefully moving to full time as soon as it is financially viable. my partner and I plan to run it as if we are full timers, registering our business name, insurance, police clearances and all of that. she will be drumming up the business via contact with estate agents, schools etc and dropping flyers. she will also hopefully be very busy writing invoices i'll be pushing that bad boy around the green stuff!

after reading all of the info on here we are really going to be aiming for quality over quantity when it comes to clients, and i think the first step with that is getting a reel mower.

So, after that lengthy intro, what is the general consensus of Masport Reel/Cylinder Mowers? obviously down the track i would love to get my hands on a d&f or mey, but i am thinking of starting with a masport due to the lower price which will then be a good second reel when we upgrade. our budget unfortunately really doesn't stretch to the cost of the Mey or D&F even second hand.

Default Re: New Member/Masport Reel Mowers

Welcome to the forum. Sorry can't help you with the reel mower decision. But I'm sure some people can. Stripes and some of the guys from WA. I've got an old scott bonnar but it doesn't get used for work only to play with at home.

I bought a 26 inch Masport cylinder mower about a month ago for 2k. They are very cheap compared to the MEY, but of course they are not as well built as the MEY. The second day I used mine, the link in the drive chain snapped, and the 3rd day I used it a plastic bit in the throttle cable lever snapped. I'm not too worried about the lever as I am just using the lever on the engine now. I am selling mine with my business but If I was keeping it I would buy a metal lever like on the Rover mowers and put that on instead.

It cuts nicely and the Briggs engine is excellent. Heaps of power and very easy to start. The blade actually looks decent quality and is very thick and so far it has no little nicks in it. The mowers now have grooved rubber rollers unlike earlier models having a smooth roller, so now it is much easier to control. It can cut higher than my other cylinder mowers which is handy as the lawns get away from you. The clutch lever looks flimsy and I don't expect it to last forever. The Masports have a different setup with the blades. The blades engage when you put the revs up and stop turning when you put it back to idle. Mine is not actually stopping and is a pain in the ass because when I empty the catcher I have to turn it off to stop from leaving a burnt strip on the grass. There is nothing in the manual about adjusting it so I will have a little play today and see if I can adjust the clutch.

Overall they are worth the money and if you make a few modifications on it, it should be a decent mower, but as you said I would start with the Masport and buy an MEY or D & F when you have the money. If I were to keep my Masport I would get something made up so the handles off a Scott Bonnar would fit on it. The clutch is a bit awkward in the middle and when it is set on a higher setting it tends to bounce around a little when on a slight upwards slope because of the angle of the handles. The Scott Bonnars are much more upright rather than being on a 45 degree angle.

If you have a choice in catchers, I would go for the plastic version rather than the steel too!

If you have any more questions just fire away.

if a masport cost 2k you may aswell buy this for 1300 that there asking might getting it for less if your good at hagling

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-...AdIdZ250406405

Theres heaps of second hand ones around or buy a full setup cheap to i was up at mey a few months back and they have refurbished units there i think there was a 02 model for 3k that was in perfect condition and that would last you decades.

thanks very much for the feedback. i had noticed that mey on gumtree. do you guys think its better to buy something like that other than a new masport?

also, how long did it take you guys to build up a solid client base of say 40-50 regulars? i am going to get as many magnetic business cards and flyers printed that i can afford and just go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
    thanks very much for the feedback. i had noticed that mey on gumtree. do you guys think its better to buy something like that other than a new masport?

also, how long did it take you guys to build up a solid client base of say 40-50 regulars? i am going to get as many magnetic business cards and flyers printed that i can afford and just go nuts.
    Everyone is different, IMO magnetic business cards are for long term customers, flyers get the phone ringing but remember up to 5% is a really good result. In terms of 40-50 regulars it's up to you how long however while you're doing it don't rule out do as many once off clean ups as you can. You can make good money and some of them become regulars anyway. Talk to people and do good work, you'll get there.