Default Re: Renters R Bad Payer's

14 days on my invoices, most pay straight away

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    If i feel suss about a client, I usually text them to confirm the job is done and payment options as a reminder. ( generally gets the guilt feeling going if they dont pay on time)
    Great advice there Matt... the key is to be in constant communication with the client.

As i don't see most of my clients, they get a complementary (and free) SMS to remind them that i have been if they are paying via direct deposit... if they pay cash, it's a FREE SMS reminder sent they night before to remind them i'm coming.

Really simple stuff and very cost effective way to run this type of business!

Simmo.

Yep. Most customers are trained to do the direct transfer as soon as i sms ( for free)
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

How does 89 days sound ? That's what I have to deal with at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    14 days on my invoices, most pay straight away
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    3 months to pay.... no thanks.

Is that just 1 client, a few clients or all of them?

Simmo.

One major client who is about 65 % - 75 % of my business.

Wow thats a lot to have tied up in 1 client. I guess they can call the shots if they make up that much of your work but it would worry me having that much work in 1 client you might lose tomorrow unless of course you have a long term contract
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Ive had a few shockers in my time, never had any renters themselves sting me on a big bill though (maybe a mow or two over the years). one thing I do know is that whether by coincidence or bad luck every commercial rental property Ive ever done has been a minefield of rubbish, vehicles, pet toys, kids toys even the occasional syringe! YUCK...
    My tactic is to literally work around anything not garden related even to the point that an overgrown lawn once ended up just looking like crop circles. scouts honour, forget "easiest", it was the funniest $XXX i ever made
    Ive lost a few as a result but most stay on and if 2/3 of the joint is not workable then its 1/3 of the work at the originally quoted price!!! whoop

Stick up for yourself, if you wanted to be a garbo why did you start a Landscape / Horto / Lawnie bizzo?

Oh and for the record Ive been a renter since my mid teens and may have been a little ratbag that didnt trim the shrubs and mow the lawn as I should have but Ive never ripped a contractor (obviously being one now I just couldnt do it) and all renters who arrange the gardens to be done themselves, in my experience are quite decent people who DO pay (sometimes with a reminder albiet).....knock on wood

ps.....Garbo is a cool job too, they probably hate cutting grass and raking leaves! haha.............each to their own

No way Budd Re: Renters R Bad Payer's

Actually, make it 122 days and counting......... and they wonder why I'm not doing any more for them, down tools so to speak.

Very Helpful Member

Guessing they owe over $5000 if so threaten to start bankruptcy proceedings
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Actually, make it 122 days and counting......... and they wonder why I'm not doing any more for them, down tools so to speak.
    Im guessing it's a company that your dealing with? lets hope they don't liquidate!

Have you had much communication with them regarding the debt or is the manager/owner never in?

Simmo.
    New website coming soon...

www.mowinglawns.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Guessing they owe over $5000 if so threaten to start bankruptcy proceedings
    Yes it's more than $5000 ( try nearly 5 times that amount) not all of it is over 122 days but most of it is over 30 days. How do I start bankruptcy proceedings ? I was talking to another guy who subbies to the same mob and is owed about double what I'm waiting on. Any advice you could give me would be great. As I said, they are a major part of my business but I think I'm going to have to quit with them and find something else to do. Working for them is good money , but that money is not much good to me if I don't have it. They try to tell me that they aren't getting paid but it's government contracts so I refuse to believe them. I have government work outside of them and I get paid every time and have done for over 7 years.

wow, gcs, i feel for ya !!!

that story RIGHT THERE is one reason i stay away from comercial work, and would probly shy away from subbying from anyone, or taking on a big contract

when you put all your eggs in one basket (or a good portion) , you put yourself over a barrel, and THEY KNOW IT

i bet its like "if you just keep mowing for us, we can come up with some money next month" ie if you quit on them they may just pay the next guy and keep you waiting forever?

i have a policy - if you dont pay me for the LAST MOW, i wont mow THIS TIME.

to date ive NEVER been gypped by someone. I have collected EVERY LAST DOLLAR ive been owed.

had a few learnig experiences at the start, but now its sweet.

on the odd occasion someone forgets to pay me by direct deposit, i just text them a reminder, its generally in the bank the next day (as its genuine, some people forget, or misplace the invoice, or she thinks HE paid, he thinks SHE paid)

couple times people have given me extra dough when this happens to say sorry!! (i regard these as A customers and very trustworthy people !!)

gcs, surely its time you went thru a debt collection process and just moved on - theyre obviously not worth working for mate.

i think david knows the process, maybe PM him and ask how to do it?

crikey mate, all ican think of is WOW.

good luck with it !!

GCS I would be going to the Sheriff's office and finding out what they can do, if it gets bad enough they can go in and take stuff in value of whats owed to you but you need to act quick before someone else beats you. Also you better find another client they won't to deal with you !!! LOL

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789