Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Working SMARTER not HARDER Thread...

Default Working SMARTER not HARDER Thread...

Please share what you have learnt from your experiences.

ie

* How YOUR simple business restructure meant higher profit, satisfaction and stress-free management of business

* How different ways of planning changed the way your business operates.

* How various equipment meant you are still fresher at the end of the day.

* Equipment choices being the wisest decision for the long run and least hassles.

*Marketing Strategies

Feel free to add...even better with comparison from past experiences.

Default Re: Working SMARTER not HARDER Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by VJinTownsville View Post
    Please share what you have learnt from your experiences.

* How YOUR simple business restructure meant higher profit, satisfaction and stress-free management of business:

Using computer/internet technology - printing own forms on ad hoc basis; doing our own finances (Quicken software), email & calendar function for business (yahoo) free website (webs.com) and links on various others - Being able to do so much in-house cuts costs (so increases the profit margin) and I find it personally satisfying, but I doubt there is such a thing as totally "stress-free" management - if so, I've yet to experience it

* How different ways of planning changed the way your business operates:

using on-line calendar as it can be flexed easily, esp in wet weather; learning to say "no" to every Tom, Dick and Harry who wants us to mow their lawn when there's already more than enough jobs piled up

* How various equipment meant you are still fresher at the end of the day:

using the ride-on mower wherever possible...Squincher/water mix to keep workers hydrated and working to optimum...another set of hands (ie having more than single operator)

* Equipment choices being the wisest decision for the long run and least hassles:

having 2 of everything, so there is always a back up OR two workers can concentrate on a specific job when necessary

*Marketing Strategies:

limit your paid advertising avenues to what works in your area (we only use the Local Directories); utilise free advertising on websites, etc.

Feel free to add...even better with comparison from past experiences.

Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Hmmm... I'm not sure how this example of duplication is convincing of it's benefits! lol
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

* How YOUR simple business restructure meant higher profit, satisfaction and stress-free management of business
    Create a niche market. For me it was cylinder mowing. More money at each job, all jobs are weekly. As I grew the cylinder mowing jobs I dropped the rougher jobs. So instead of slashing poo infested rubbish lawns, I was mowing lawns that looked like bowling greens and striping them up. They gave me a lot more satisfaction and I always took photos so potential clients could see what I do.

Drop the jobs furthest away each time I picked up a new client so my run is condensed.

Buying a 26inch cylinder mower instead of my 20 inch saved about 10 minutes on each job. Also having a decent backpack blower saves 5 minutes on each job.

* Equipment choices being the wisest decision for the long run and least hassles.

My Kawa brushie never let me down so I didn't have a sore shoulder from trying to start it all day unlike other machines I have had in the past, and didn't have a headache from the stress of trying to catch up because I had wasted so much time at each job. I always bought commercial Japanese made products in the end as they never let me down. Buy the biggest and most powerful mower that will fit at most of your clients places. Learn how to use a whip with bull handles so you can slash small patches and make them look as if they have been catcher mowed.

*Marketing Strategies

Changed my business name to target the niche market I was chasing. I didn't do a huge amount of advertising but I was planning on getting a large photo of a striped lawn on each side of my trailer. I didnt bother once restrictions on sprinklers were lifted. My goal was to have 30 weekly cylinder mowing clients and just do them and nothing else. 6 jobs per day. Drop my kids at school/pre school in the morning and be back in time to pick them up and still earning good coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Create a niche market. For me it was cylinder mowing. More money at each job, all jobs are weekly. As I grew the cylinder mowing jobs I dropped the rougher jobs. So instead of slashing poo infested rubbish lawns, I was mowing lawns that looked like bowling greens and striping them up. They gave me a lot more satisfaction and I always took photos so potential clients could see what I do.

Drop the jobs furthest away each time I picked up a new client so my run is condensed.

Buying a 26inch cylinder mower instead of my 20 inch saved about 10 minutes on each job. Also having a decent backpack blower saves 5 minutes on each job.

My Kawa brushie never let me down so I didn't have a sore shoulder from trying to start it all day unlike other machines I have had in the past, and didn't have a headache from the stress of trying to catch up because I had wasted so much time at each job. I always bought commercial Japanese made products in the end as they never let me down. Buy the biggest and most powerful mower that will fit at most of your clients places. Learn how to use a whip with bull handles so you can slash small patches and make them look as if they have been catcher mowed.

*Marketing Strategies

Changed my business name to target the niche market I was chasing. I didn't do a huge amount of advertising but I was planning on getting a large photo of a striped lawn on each side of my trailer. I didnt bother once restrictions on sprinklers were lifted. My goal was to have 30 weekly cylinder mowing clients and just do them and nothing else. 6 jobs per day. Drop my kids at school/pre school in the morning and be back in time to pick them up and still earning good coin.
    Stripes, that all makes perfect sense to me, you're a legend, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Stripes, that all makes perfect sense to me, you're a legend, thanks again.
    No worries mate! How are you going with your cylinder mower at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    No worries mate! How are you going with your cylinder mower at home?
    Credit where credits due mate. They've both been in the shed for awhile unfortunately, been working other skills though to get into the right market, been cleaning out regulars that are feral too, like you I'd rather do stuff that looks good and I'm proud of.

i built a tipper trailer that saves 20 min a trip at the dump and no bags just a wheel barrow.We bought a hansa chipper we take we we do over grown hedge's and small tree's this gets more in the trailer . friends and family get the mulch no dump fee but custumer charged for disposal if they dont keep mulch
    big steve garden and handyman service

Lol Ive stopped taking greenwaste. Id rather maintain/mow 2 yards to make the same money scooping greenwaste and get absolutely covered in crap.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VJinTownsville View Post
    Lol Ive stopped taking greenwaste. Id rather maintain/mow 2 yards to make the same money scooping greenwaste and get absolutely covered in crap.
    Mulching thats the best way.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I reckon I will be putting the mulching plug in to one of our push mowers soon, as some of the lawns could do with a nutrient boost, and there isn't as much length to contend with.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Yea ive been looking for mulch only yards. I cant take on catch ones i try to flick them onto other contractors. Id rather have the time and energy to look for mulch only yards. Besides I have other stuff other than mowing to keep me fresh on the side

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

I just mulch and if they dont like it they can find a new contractor good luck finding one that does catch there aint many
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care