Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Kawasaki v.s Briggs

Default Kawasaki v.s Briggs

Currently looking at a few different Zero Turn Mowers and most offer a choice of engine.

Looking at the 48" Scag for instance, they offer the choice of a 19hp Kawasaki V Twin or a 26hp Briggs ELS V Twin, a huge difference in suggested horsepower but it is difficult to quantify this, I can't find any ratings regarding the torque output or any other useful data for comparsion of either all though I suspect the Kawasaki would be up there.
    Given that it is commonly said that there is no substitute for Horsepower then the choice should be simple...but...

Reliabilty and Performance are key factors so does anyone have any real world experience with these two engines, what would you recommend and why?

Incidentally the price differential between each is minimal.

Cheers

Premier

Default Re: Kawasaki v.s Briggs

My John Deere 48" has a 19 hp Kawasaki but had it souped up to 23hp when it was purchaced. Didi something with the carbie. Even at 23hp its a bit under powered I reckon. 19hp to me just isnt enough power to operate a 48" deck efficiently. I'm no mechanic but pretty sure kwaka are a far better motor than briggs but the extra load on it being underpowered could shorten its life and reliability
    Is a larger kwaka engine not an option on the Scag? I've heard the Scags are alot cheaper now due to the aussie $ ?
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Default Re: Kawasaki v.s Briggs

Jason...
    The only options on the Scag 48" are the 19hp Kwaka and the 26hp Briggs.
    The Scag pricing is very competitive right now but I need some confidence in regards to picking the right engine.
    If a larger HP Kwaka was available I would snap it up but given the choice I have I'm a little unsure.

Has anyone had any experience with the 26hp Briggs V Twin ELS engine?

Cheers

Premier