Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Makita

Default Re: Makita

I have some Shindaiwa gear, on a few of occasions the home owner has asked me what brand of snipper or blower is that, I say Shindaiwa and they look at me funny and say, never heard of it. So that proves that all the advertising that Honda and Stihl does is effective.

Once a guy said to me " I thought all Contractors used Hondas"
    Well, not this one. There is nothing wrong with Honda at all, just over rated and over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMS View Post
    I can understand why contact like that with any company would leave a bad taste in your mouth.
    that.

All contact I have had with Makita has been with knowledgeable technical staff.

I do agree with Bluey though and don't believe top name brand is always best.

That said most of my gear would not be recognised as any brand except by professionals. Hard work and pressure washing tends to render most of the badging/decals unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    i would rate my makita 4 stroke blower (BHX2500) up until 2 weeks ago as the best blower i have ever had(a mculloc,3 echos,a shindy and 2 hondas i hate blowers) unfortunately as i finished the 16th lawn for the day it seized (low oil)damn i now officially hate 4 stroke small engines 3rd 4 stroke blower i have done this to but a hell of alot cheaper mistake than the hondas i have destroyed now have the makita 2 stroke(RBL250) goes well starts easily not as good as the 4 stroke but still as good as or better than the other 2 strokes i have had
    I've read a few things on here about the small 4 stokes seizing.. are the oil levels low because they burn oil or are they just not topped up enough during oil changes??

how about a stihl ian?

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    Once a guy said to me " I thought all Contractors used Hondas"
    Well, not this one. There is nothing wrong with Honda at all, just over rated and over priced.
    Most, if not all, the Council crews I see around town use Honda brushies and trimmers now. The local dealer must be rubbing his hands together!

Also saw a groundsman at a local boarding school with a nice new Shindaiwa articulated hedge trimmer today too. Was almost tempted to go and wrestle it away from him and run!

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I've read a few things on here about the small 4 stokes seizing.. are the oil levels low because they burn oil or are they just not topped up enough during oil changes??

how about a stihl ian?
    i think they just burn a little oil it's been pretty much a case of getting side tracked while i'm servicing the equipment and thinking i'll do that latter then forgetting to change and check the oil both the honda and the makita would probably have been done on the weekends if they had lasted but both have died on thursday or friday both of which have been heavy days

i'm stihl waiting for them to bring out something worth buying
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    i think they just burn a little oil it's been pretty much a case of getting side tracked while i'm servicing the equipment and thinking i'll do that latter then forgetting to change and check the oil both the honda and the makita would probably have been done on the weekends if they had lasted but both have died on thursday or friday both of which have been heavy days

i'm stihl waiting for them to bring out something worth buying
    haha
    you just gave me an idea though... swapping equipment for a day..

for example I've got a bg86 Stihl blower and really happy with it. however i'd love to try out maybe the honda or makita 4 stroke for a day just to compare. Im not convinced enough from what I read to actually go out and buy one as the Stihl is workin for me. this would also give the other person the chance to experience the Stihl

gotta be good condition top brands though!.. dun wanna be swapping some talon blower or similar...

Very Helpful Member

both the honda and makita 4/ started very easy basically first pull everytime with no effort in the pull but the makita is a lot lighter , has more guts and is a lot cheaper. Seizing a $330 makita is a lot easier to take than seizing a $500 honda
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    haha
    you just gave me an idea though... swapping equipment for a day..

for example I've got a bg86 Stihl blower and really happy with it. however i'd love to try out maybe the honda or makita 4 stroke for a day just to compare. Im not convinced enough from what I read to actually go out and buy one as the Stihl is workin for me. this would also give the other person the chance to experience the Stihl

gotta be good condition top brands though!.. dun wanna be swapping some talon blower or similar...
    ive got a pretty snazzy broom i could swap you for the blower?

I recently bought a C4 back pack blower and it makes all hand helds look like toys !!!

I've been considering their backpack trimmer so I can take a bit of weight of my right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by C.O.R.Y.S View Post
    ive got a pretty snazzy broom i could swap you for the blower?
    I could probably put a Stihl sticker or coffee cup on the table for that

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post

I source all my equipment from Big W (that was a joke)

Do u think Pope etc would be able to do 75 lawns a week plus gardening work for 2 years straight.
    Oh and how is it getting spares for these machines

Sorry to say the only reason guys use Pope is cos they dont have enough capital to buy Echo, Stihl and the like

And if u use the reasoning they are cheap i will just buy a new one when this breaks, what a crook
    "Do u think Pope etc would be able to do 75 lawns a week plus gardening work for 2 years straight"

yup! I've got one in the shed that's done just that!

"Oh and how is it getting spares for these machines"

No probs out this way, Mower's Plus have a complete
    range of spares

"Sorry to say the only reason guys use Pope is cos they dont have enough capital to buy Echo, Stihl and the like"

I have 2 x FS85's, did have 3, but just sold one because I don't mow much any more ($560 each), a Stihl Combi tool power head, a 216, did have 2 but just sold one ($1,350 each), 2 x BG85's ($460 each), a HT75 (bought when they were $1,600), a MS260C ($1,250), a 350T ($650), a 7901 ($1,350), a 231T ($490), a HS45 ($750), a Echo hedge trimmer ($650), 2 x Metabo hedge trimmers, a brand new Navara 4x4 dual cab, a 8x5 cage trailer recently sold a Ryan LA28 coring machine, MTD rotary hoe and quite a bit bit more!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Hi Rob, my last pope blower outlasted my last echo blower by a considerable margin.
    My pope whippy I have stopped using on regular jobs as after many years due more to weight issues, its still going strong, but is kept 4 ferral cleanups.
    I have had just about all the so called commercial brand equiptment, some has been great, some has failed dismally.
    I agree that u should buy the best gear that u can possibly get/afford, but buying the most expensive does,nt always garantee the best.
    If this was the case, threre is no such thing as a bargain or a lemon.
    I will continue trying to buying the best value 4 money products that are reliable & do a good job. Thats where the forum discussions allow ppl to put forward their opinions, & others to consider them.
    Cheers Fred.
    Agree 1,000%

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post

I source all my equipment from Big W (that was a joke)

Do u think Pope etc would be able to do 75 lawns a week plus gardening work for 2 years straight.
    Oh and how is it getting spares for these machines

Sorry to say the only reason guys use Pope is cos they dont have enough capital to buy Echo, Stihl and the like

And if u use the reasoning they are cheap i will just buy a new one when this breaks, what a crook
    Its amazing what the marketing dollar can do for a name!! Some people just have to look the part with the biggest, best name brand products (not saying that is you rob) or just feel safer using these bigger better name products. Some others will do what they consider is right for them and try other stuff that may stand up to what they have to put it through. I am prepared to give anything a go nowadays if it has some reliable review!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Its amazing what the marketing dollar can do for a name!! Some people just have to look the part with the biggest, best name brand products (not saying that is you rob) or just feel safer using these bigger better name products. Some others will do what they consider is right for them and try other stuff that may stand up to what they have to put it through. I am prepared to give anything a go nowadays if it has some reliable review!
    Yes agree with that. I have brand name gear as my main work horses but I have a Pope blower. You need to have the mind set of giving it a go. Many of the now top brand names started out as cheapies. Many of the top brand names are not up to par with some of the cheapies. Too many people rely on having brand name stuff for everything. I sprinkle some of the cheaper stuff across my stable of gear.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I get ya points

but

Are u all saying that the pope blower is better and more powerful than the Stihl bg85/86 blower ?????????

Stihl

Model BG 86 Easy2Start
    Displacement (cm 3) 27.2
    Max Air throught Put (m3/h) 780
    Maximum Air Speed (km/hr) 306
    Weight (kg) 4.5
    Vibration Level (m/s2) 1.7

Pope

The Pope Spitfire Petrol Blower features a powerful 25.4cc 2 stroke engine with a 0.75kW power output. The Petrol Blower features an easy starting electronic ignition and produces a blowing speed of up to 250 km/hr.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast