Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Makita

Default Re: Makita

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post
    I get ya points

but

Are u all saying that the pope blower is better and more powerful than the Stihl bg85/86 blower ?????????

Stihl

Model BG 86 Easy2Start
    Displacement (cm 3) 27.2
    Max Air throught Put (m3/h) 780
    Maximum Air Speed (km/hr) 306
    Weight (kg) 4.5
    Vibration Level (m/s2) 1.7

Pope

The Pope Spitfire Petrol Blower features a powerful 25.4cc 2 stroke engine with a 0.75kW power output. The Petrol Blower features an easy starting electronic ignition and produces a blowing speed of up to 250 km/hr.
    Rob, you can't put BG85 & 86's in the same category mate!

Having run BG86's & BG85's side by side, I am in no doubt that the BG86 is an inferior blower. No matter what Stihl says, it does not blow the same volume of air as a BG85, no where near it! It has several failings too; the main one is that the return spring on the carb fails (did so on 3 out of 4 bought at the same time within 6 months of purchase) This spring is not sold separately, you have to buy the whole carb (>$140) They don't make BG85's any more, so Stihl is off the list for replacement blowers. I know someone who has a Pope & is happy with it, same with the big cc Echo. Me, I'm looking at 4 stroke Makitas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Its amazing what the marketing dollar can do for a name!! Some people just have to look the part with the biggest, best name brand products (not saying that is you rob) or just feel safer using these bigger better name products. Some others will do what they consider is right for them and try other stuff that may stand up to what they have to put it through. I am prepared to give anything a go nowadays if it has some reliable review!
    +1; the most expensive hedge trimmer I've bought was a Husky ($765) & it was a POS off the 1st order! It never completed one single job without a trip to the mower shop to get fixed!

My most disappointing piece of equipment other than the Husky? A Shindaiwa combo hedge trimmer. I'd been running my Stihl for about 8 years when I got to use one of these. I'd read so many good things on forums & heard so many guys bragging about them at the dump that I was quite excited, until I tried using it! After using the Stihl, the Shindi was to me, heavy, gutless & the blade flexes as you use it! Not much cop if you're trying to get the top of a hedge straight (which I was!)

Yeah well, get a Shindaiwa C4 backpack blower and it will make both of them look like toys, so.....

I get ya points

but

Are u all saying that the pope blower is better and more powerful than the Stihl bg85/86 blower ?????????

Stihl

Model BG 86 Easy2Start
    Displacement (cm 3) 27.2
    Weight (kg) 4.5

Pope

The Pope Spitfire Petrol Blower features a powerful 25.4cc 2 stroke engine with a 0.75kW power output. The Petrol Blower features an easy starting electronic ignition and produces a blowing speed of up to 250 km/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    Yeah well, get a Shindaiwa C4 backpack blower and it will make both of them look like toys, so.....
    Dont they make a Pope backpack blower

Dont they make a Pope backpack blower
    With a few adjustments you probably could .I've got the spare curvy pipe from a vac model if someone wants to try.

I get ya points

but

No but it can still do a job on par with one. For a back up they are pretty good
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Very Helpful Member

I get ya points

but

Stihl

Model BG 86 Easy2Start
    Displacement (cm 3) 27.2
    Weight (kg) 4.5

Pope

i think you forgot to add
    stihl $490
    pope $118
    as for spare parts for the pope if it breaks just buy another at that price then as long as you don't have the same problem you have spares

p.s i don't own one but at the rate i seem to go through blowers i may buy one next time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    stihl $490
    pope $118
    as for spare parts for the pope if it breaks just buy another at that price then as long as you don't have the same problem you have spares

p.s i don't own one but at the rate i seem to go through blowers i may buy one next time
    Buy it now Ian!

[QUOTE=kakegc;68329]+1; the most expensive hedge trimmer I've bought was a Husky ($765) & it was a POS off the 1st order! It never completed one single job without a trip to the mower shop to get fixed!

+1,my Husky hedge has also packed it in,just 6 months old,so called mower shop where i bought it wanted nothing to do with it,wouldnt cover it under warranty,hasnt done that much work,the Husky is very poorly made in my opinion with the driveshaft merely held in place with a circlip,not in a groove or anything just on the shaft,as it gets a bit of end play in the shaft it gets looser in the clutch hub and flogs out the square drive on the driveshaft,easily avoided if a goove was there for the circlip to seat in.Alleged mechanic in shop told me that you can only expect to get around 20 hours use out of them,at over $1000 for the unit and attatchments i expected a lot better.Got a Husky blower which is really good and my saw is a Husky which isnt too bad,but the split shaft combo unit is rubbish.Mick
    "If you grab a wildcat by the tail,you will learn things that can be taught in no other way"...Mark Twain.

The exhaust also drips hot 2 stroke oil onto the bush being pruned. There are roller bearings in the gearbox, making it near impossible to sharpen it yourself & it weighs A LOT!

What Husky saw have you got mate? After my experience with the hedger I was very bitter about husky for a while, but I'm softening! I have a bad case of chainsaw addiction disorder (CAD). I really like the look of the 346, the 357, the 372 & the 390.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    stihl $490
    pope $118

My Echo is finally almost dead and maybe need another cheapy when the subbie is around. Do they still have the "Pope Professional" for $118

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    My Echo is finally almost dead and maybe need another cheapy when the subbie is around. Do they still have the "Pope Professional" for $118
    according to there website yes
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

A reliable source tells me that pope are discontinuing 2 stroke machines, so be quick if you want one! (Bunnings have discontinued them already)

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc View Post
    A reliable source tells me that pope are discontinuing 2 stroke machines, so be quick if you want one! (Bunnings have discontinued them already)
    I got into W today and grabbed one while i could,did see a few on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc View Post
    Will have to call Fred's Mowing for spare parts then!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast