Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mans best friend

Default Re: Mans best friend

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    now i think this might beat leaving the dog to protect the car http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacu...nd-town.glance
    lol thats pretty much Martys favourite thing in the world! and i hear ya about locking stuff up Andy. was kinda why i asked my initial question in my post. I figure anyone game enough to reach into my trailer or the back of my van when there is a 65kg beast smiling at them can have whatever he wants if he doesnt mind swapping an arm for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Here's my two boof heads. Back in the days when I first moved down here before the new trailer. I take one of them when it's cool enough, and spend heaps less time unlocking and locking stuff up.
    Thery look like they would be good theft deterrants
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

nice Andy - love shepherds

Andy....I have come up with what your dogs are thinking.

Dog on the left. "If he touches the mower I am going to bite him"
    Dog on the right. " No let me bite him...please"
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

my dogs are too wussy to stay around lawn equipment!! hahah

Saw an Indy today with a big kick arse german sheperd as I was on my way to a quote. He was mowing a pretty big front yard and the dog was around the corner investigating the area. Totally out of sight and sound. Not very good responsible dog management if you ask me. Plus as fine for wandering at large straight up if Council came along. I know it was his dog as he was loading up his ute when I came back and the dog was in the back. I would be too worried about what might happen to take my dog to work. Enough trouble looking after the offsider let alone a dog. But to each their own.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Saw an Indy today with a big kick arse german sheperd as I was on my way to a quote. He was mowing a pretty big front yard and the dog was around the corner investigating the area. Totally out of sight and sound. Not very good responsible dog management if you ask me. Plus as fine for wandering at large straight up if Council came along. I know it was his dog as he was loading up his ute when I came back and the dog was in the back. I would be too worried about what might happen to take my dog to work. Enough trouble looking after the offsider let alone a dog. But to each their own.
    As you know Bluey, there is a big difference with a Sheperd and an Akita. A sheperd is more like the boy in the front row at class getting top marks and praise from the teachers while the Akita is a little more like the one in the back row looking for attention and a little trouble. He will pay attention when you are "on his case" but given the first chance he just has to see what else is happening. He is so very inquisitive and always checking things out.
    When I leave Rebel at boarding the guy who runs it always gives Rebel to the new trainers because he knows how to do everything but when a newer trainer has him he just has to "test" him Sheperds and Akitas are very much different - Sheperds eager to please, intelligent and very obedient if trained right- Akitas, somewhat the same but maybe not so obedient with some aggressive traits. So taking them to work unless you have them extremely well trained could cause real problems and even if they are really well trained they can always cause problems for a person who does not have knowledge. Saying that you have to be really sure your dog is trained well to let them off lead but you "must" still have them under your control - by the sounds of things the sheperd wasnt.

Yeah I know what you mean John. Tash is pretty good under voice command but I would hate to see what she would do if a cat or small dog presented itself in front of her out of my line of sight.
    Cheers

Bluey

Hey Courty, totally agree with you if some low life is game to stick their hand into a vehicle or yard with a dog like that it's a fair trade. And it's one less meal you have to pay for.

Yeah I know what you mean John. Tash is pretty good under voice command but I would hate to see what she would do if a cat or small dog presented itself in front of her out of my line of sight.
    Me too, mine are good at home or out in the bush or on a lead but if they are into something a call or whistle won't stop them in their tracks, sure they'll come back but after they've scared the crap out of whatever they're into and it's submitted. I had a kelpie years ago that would stop and drop anywhere anytime but I believe the key there was that I'd had it since it was 6 weeks old not over 12mths like mine now. Too many bad habits need to be corrected and it's challenging at a distance if you let them wander.

It was fun the two of us trying to train three 40kg rotti's to stop in their tracks like that (not) but we got there. I miss those dogs they were gorgeous.
    ~ Joanne ~

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

I had a council guy one day pull up well i was mowing a yard and tell me he was going to fine me for having my shepard runnning around with no lead. I told him it wasnt mine but if he couldnt find a owner here is my card ill take him when the time is up, never got a call so i assume the owner eventully picked him up from the pound. seriously i dont think i would have a dog if it wasnt a shepard or cattle dog maybe a labradore but some of these over grown rats my customers have i think what a waste of dog food. I dont know if it is cause i was raised on a farm or just that i expect to get what i pay for but a animal should earn its keep the cat collects rats the only reason he hasnt dissapeared. If i got a dog i would expect it to let me know if soome one was around and if it was some one suss especially one of the ones with a blue shirt than it should chase them off.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

totally agree with you TLLG - shepherd or blue/red, I also have no time for upholstered rats.....or cats

I don't trust cattle dogs. I was brought up on a sheep and cattle station and cattle dogs are sneaky biting buggers.
    Cheers

Bluey

I don't trust cattle dogs. I was brought up on a sheep and cattle station and cattle dogs are sneaky biting buggers.
    Any heal will do.

Went to a place today, for crying out loud I'm a dog lover but I felt sick. Lady had 5 full sized poodles in the house and there was sh1t and p1ss everywhere. Her comment was "lucky I have floor boards." Unbelievable, I had to hold my breath it was feral! How do people live like that???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast