Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mans best friend

Default Re: Mans best friend

Extra hot chili in their favorite piece of meat can do the trick. Have a few really good ones but don't think I can post them on a public forum!!!
    I agree with bluey though, healers especially are the ones likely to nip you when your not looking!! Got me a few times the buggars - doesnt tickle either!

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow, have a new 2 1/2 year old border collie. She is absolutely beautiful. Loves coming in the car and such a nice natured dog.
    After leaving her for 2 hours in the house for 2 hours the other day, I can forgive her for destroying $2000 worth of blinds but she only wanted to come with me and it was probably too soon to leave her by herself.
    Still.... the thought of sending her back never crossed my mind. I have never had a dog like her. The whole family absolutely love her..........well everyone but the cat!

This is my Stafford Oscar. I used to do alot of obedience trialling with him before I retired him.
    And my older Bull Terrier Beejay.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow, have a new 2 1/2 year old border collie. She is absolutely beautiful. Loves coming in the car and such a nice natured dog.
    After leaving her for 2 hours in the house for 2 hours the other day, I can forgive her for destroying $2000 worth of blinds but she only wanted to come with me and it was probably too soon to leave her by herself.
    Still.... the thought of sending her back never crossed my mind. I have never had a dog like her. The whole family absolutely love her..........well everyone but the cat!
    You wanna know how smart those dogs are Cranbourne!! Smart enough to know what she has just done and likely to keep doing similar unless she gets the training and exercise of body and mind she needs as a working dog.

'Wikipedia" -The Border Collie is a herding dog breed developed in the Anglo-Scottish border region for herding livestock, especially sheep. It is the most widespread of the collie breeds.

Typically extremely energetic, acrobatic, and athletic, they frequently compete with great success in dog sports, in addition to their success in sheepdog trials, and are often cited as the most intelligent of all dogs.[1]

In January 2011, a Border Collie was reported to have learned 1,022 words, and acts consequently to human citation of those words.

With border collies if you don't wear them out they will wreck you house and garden. My brother in law had two. They really are not suited for urban environment unless you take that extra time everyday to exercise them. They are so energetic. My brother in laws last one used to round up the fish in his pond
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

That is something that concerns me but apparently the long haired collies can be a bit less energetic. She is getting a lot of exercise and attention. She needs the exercise anyway, she is a few kilo overweight.

The intelligence is very obvious. She learns very fast and takes a keen interest in things that I wouldn't have thought a dog would take any interest in.

Hopefully things will work out. Other than the blinds there is no other problems...yet.

Glen I have a 2 1/2 year old Border Collie. I don't take her every were with me but she does love to go to the tip with me. I walk her for an hour every night and she is fine the next day. I went away for a week and she dug 5 holes in my back lawn and chewed up a heap of pots I had set aside for growing on Bonsai. Very intelligent dog,when she gets out in the paddocks she rounds up sheep and anything else. When she is walking along the road she behaves like a dog that went to doggy school. She will push the point to learn what she can and can't get away with.
    Cheers David

Piccy Cranbourne???

Stump those dogs of yours look like good solid dogs, bet that staffy is a proud family member!

Yeah AndyB, He loves the kids. I have 5 skin kids, and all of them have tested his temperemant over the years, and he has never blinked an eyelid at them.
    He only hates the cat, which i'm sure he learned from me.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Yeah AndyB, He loves the kids. I have 5 skin kids, and all of them have tested his temperemant over the years, and he has never blinked an eyelid at them.
    He only hates the cat, which i'm sure he learned from me.
    Have to ask this...what is a 5 skin kid?????
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Glen I have a 2 1/2 year old Border Collie. I don't take her every were with me but she does love to go to the tip with me. I walk her for an hour every night and she is fine the next day. I went away for a week and she dug 5 holes in my back lawn and chewed up a heap of pots I had set aside for growing on Bonsai. Very intelligent dog,when she gets out in the paddocks she rounds up sheep and anything else. When she is walking along the road she behaves like a dog that went to doggy school. She will push the point to learn what she can and can't get away with.
    Cheers David
    I just left rebel in a kennel that is just starting to get used to him. Even though he is great with people (for an Akita) he is 55+ kilos and only 1 guy is really confident with him doing anything extra. I asked if anyone could have a go bathing him before I pick him upshould be interesting.
    He also will push everyone as he knows what he is doing but really does not want to be told to do anything-you need to know him or know Akitas

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Its a 4skin kid, with a little extra!
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    I just left rebel in a kennel that is just starting to get used to him. Even though he is great with people (for an Akita) he is 55+ kilos and only 1 guy is really confident with him doing anything extra. I asked if anyone could have a go bathing him before I pick him upshould be interesting.
    He also will push everyone as he knows what he is doing but really does not want to be told to do anything-you need to know him or know Akitas
    You should see if there is someone like my wife over your way John. She does pet minding at the dogs house. Not pet sitting where the people stay at your place but she attends for however many visits a day the people want to pay for. It is much easier on animals such as Rebel. They are in their own environment and stresses them out less. Plus she does the security check of the house at the same time.
    Cheers

Bluey

You should see if there is someone like my wife over your way John. She does pet minding at the dogs house. Not pet sitting where the people stay at your place but she attends for however many visits a day the people want to pay for. It is much easier on animals such as Rebel. They are in their own environment and stresses them out less. Plus she does the security check of the house at the same time.
    Great idea! We have a friend do this and my dogs love her, takes some of the stress etc out of going away. One time my father in law picked up his dog from a kennel a day early and within a hour or so realized they had drugged the dog with out telling him. He rang them and they admitted it saying he would stop barking...

Skin kids = Children
    Fur kids = dogs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast