Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu 200 or similar, fuel / acceleration

Default Isuzu 200 or similar, fuel / acceleration

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone using a small cab over truck can give me an idea of fuel consumption.

Thinking an Isuzu 200 truck (maybe even with the AMT automated manual transmission - if any good) would be an ideal work vehicle for this industry???

Ideally would have it set up as an all in one unit without a trailer , as thats how we have our hilux set up at the moment. Looking at the truck mainly for the extra weight carrying capabilities.

The other thing I'm wondering is are they sluggish to drive around all day stop start driving?? Still want it to be fairly zippy point to point not slowing me down.

http://trucks.isuzu.com.au/media/482...75_ark0494.pdf

Any feedback appreciated

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: Isuzu 200 or similar, fuel / acceleration

Im surprised its not on there broucher most cars utes have it on there brocher plus a sticker on there window saying it.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

yeh thats what i thought but maybe doesnt apply to trucks coz i cant find it anywhere on the net??
    I'm after real world figures anyway, such as what ppl get with a load working in this business.

It would be a good setup where you would be able to have lots of room and the extra weight would be a bonus if you need it. I was looking into buying a small truck like an Isuzu or Canter until I saw the price. I need a dual cab so I can drop my kids off at school/pre school and they start from about 55k. I'm undecided what to get next. Even an older truck over 5 years old is still over 30k! I wish they still made the Toyota Dyna but they seem to have scrapped the trucks in that size.

Yeh crew cab would be handy. One thing I like about them compared to a ute is you save about a metre or more with the engine underneath rather than sticking out.. so you can basically have a longer tray but the overall length of the vehicle is similar so still easy to park etc.

Another thing is safety, much safer with one of the new models with braking / traction control etc especially with the extra weight compared to the back of a ute or towing a trailer.

Plus the driving position would be awesome combined with a rear view camera i rkn would be sweet as.

Ive got plans in my head for an ultimate setup lol!

couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should see how much it cost with at box between the cab and tray to lockup mowers and tools and a tipper tray with high sides and underbody tool boxes. All ways thought something like that would be the ultimate setup.

Quote Originally Posted by chatza View Post
    Should see how much it cost with at box between the cab and tray to lockup mowers and tools and a tipper tray with high sides and underbody tool boxes. All ways thought something like that would be the ultimate setup.
    Yeh that would be ideal, but is it possible to have side toolboxes that dont tip? coz not sure would be enough room for everything with underbody toolboxes???

if your big one for the mower has 2 sections top and bottem or something there might be enough room. Not to sure would be worth looking at. I doubt you could have a side tool box that didnt tip unless you modified the tray around the box.

We use a isuzu 200 tipper, will try to attach some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by andy056 View Post
    sweet as.. whats it like on fuel / handling and whats the acceleration like?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Yeh that would be ideal, but is it possible to have side toolboxes that dont tip? coz not sure would be enough room for everything with underbody toolboxes???
    Yes, you can get a smaller tray to suit your need. There is a council truck around the road with side tool boxes and a short tipping tray. I'll try and take a few snaps.

My old Mazda T3500 tipper is a 3.5ltr Diesel and I get 13.5ltr/100k's on a consistent basis.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Quote Originally Posted by andy056 View Post
    Now that is exactly what i have in mind Andy. What type of price are you looking at and can you get higher sides. Is that the esky behind the cab where you get your beers
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Hi Chris, 4 a dedicated work vehicle, we find this our best option considering the way our business is set up.
    We have a 94 model dual cab Mazda T4000 tipper which we have had since the late 90's, & it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned.
    We used to pull a trailer (& still have the option to) until recently, then reconfigured so it is basically set up now to run solo.
    Like SCW, I also average around 13.5l/100km, & 4 a vehicle with all the areodynamics of a brick, I think thats quite reasonable. Pulling the trailer it was closer to 15L/100km.
    Its not too sluggish & will happily sit on the speed limit all day but it aint no race car.
    Trucks like these r fairley low geared suited to carrying loads, rather than being nimble. I have a 3 ton payload but that is more than overkill 4 more 95% of our work. I once loaded an entire 30'x3' brick wall into it & could hardly feel any diff.
    Depending on what do will proly play a part in deciding single or dual cab.
    Our dual cab may be slightly under utilized considering the front will hold 3, so we took the back seat out & use that as storage space. U may prefer extra tray space?
    Behind the cab, a mate of mine (lets just call him Fat Kevy) who's pretty good with a welder built a custom box to house my mower & heaps of other tools.
    I still haver arouhd 5m3 of remaining tray space 4 green waste & its amazing what u can condense into it with a little effort.
    If your going to the bbq next Sunday, I can drive the truck if u'd like to check it out.
    B4 the Maxda I had a single cab Ford trader with a massive 14m3 rock body. Ppl would stare at such a little truck with such a big body, & that was also an excellent truck b4 the cab rusted out.
    Another consideration with the cabs is the access to the motor, single cabs r great, dual cabs r carp! Nothing more frustrating than not being able to something easily.Dont know what happens if I ever have a big mechanical failure & the motor needs to come out?
    One diasadvantage to running our truck in its current state is that in the event of a break down, it would be alot easier to hook up another vehicle 2 a trailer than to unload all our gear into something else & continue.
    Longest post Ive ever written, my 2 digits r killen me!
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Fred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast