Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Occupational Health & Safety

Aussie Occupational Health & Safety

Hey All. Boreing topic I know ; But has anyone put together an up to date OH & S manual for the lawnmowing industry ? Have seen some posts on this topic but they were from 2004. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks BRAD READY SET MOW!
    BLUEBOY

Default Re: Occupational Health & Safety

i have a been a lot of work for another industry for their OH&S, i will check up with Dean and if we don't have one I'll do up a package and pass it on for the ILMCOA members only as we all paid for the membership; i must warn you though a lot of it might seem like bull**** but that is the way things are going now.

Hey Owen that would be great if you put something together although I fear that is alot of work. I have seen some manuals from other industries and they are very complex documents. Would your manual have to be certified by some authority? Someone told me this could be the case. Thanks Brad
    BLUEBOY

Quote Originally Posted by owenj View Post
    i have a been a lot of work for another industry for their OH&S, i will check up with Dean and if we don't have one I'll do up a package and pass it on for the ILMCOA members only as we all paid for the membership; i must warn you though a lot of it might seem like bull**** but that is the way things are going now.
    Was just speaking to Dean about this very thing this morning. I am sure many paid up members may chip in a little something for your time !

Red face Re: Occupational Health & Safety

dont worry about chipping in, to my understanding we are about helping each other here, if i get work out of that will be thanks enough.

the last policies and procedures i wrote was for "Dial-A-Driver" and it took 5 months from scratch but i have a lot of information from that which will apply to our industry. i'll call Dean about it in the morning and start from there.

Where are you located owenj?? Many of us have work going this time of year. Let us know your area - suburbs!

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Dial- a-driver as in the townsville company that drives your car home when your pissed
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

trouble with using something someone else prepares, is if its wrong, and YOU get sued, you'd be looking to pass the buck to the author.

then where will you all be?

Anyone know if any thing came of the incident in North Queensland a while back where a woman died after being hit by an object thrown from a ZTR or slasher while it was doing a vacant lot?

I’m located in Hervey Bay and the “Dial-A-Driver” I mentioned is based here.
    In response to Happy Lawn Mowing’s comment; no matter what Policy or Procedure (P&P) is given you will almost always find the author will put in a disclosure of some sought because at the end of the day the individual has to use common sense ( foresight) into situations and take appropriate action for safety. If a person takes the P&P as gospel and not as guidelines then that person is a bit of a nutter. If you take them on you do it at you own discretion, and should ALWAYS take further precautions without going to ridiculous extremes.
    At the end of the day it is up to the operator of any hand tool, machinery, plant or work site to practice safe work habits and ethics, as well as try to constantly manage, assess and upgrade their work environment.
    Wouldn’t you agree?
    But give a month or so and it should be ready. A P&P is better than nothing.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Anyone know if any thing came of the incident in North Queensland a while back where a woman died after being hit by an object thrown from a ZTR or slasher while it was doing a vacant lot?
    I belive the guy commmited suicide in the middle of facing manslaughter charges
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

alls i'm saying is that if you take for granted what someone you DO NOT KNOW has written, youre a bit of a fool in my book.

i appreciate you would do your best to get it right, but who ever uses what you produce would be doing so at their own risk, and could not be sure YOU hadnt missed something.

are you a certified wh&s professional? are you a qualified solicitor? what experience do you have in the mowing industry?

personally, i think a LINK to the appropriate government rules would be more suitable to pass on to someone, rather than what YOU wrote for YOU.

but hey, all i wanted to point out is that if you trust what someone gives you, and you get bitten, you shouldnt blame anyone but yourself.

to look at the guy from townsville who killed that lady, for example, would you want to be the guy who wrote his safety manual?

and disclaimers aside, it does not stop someone suing the author in the case of a manslaughter charge, nor does it mean that your $30,000 solicitors fees to keep you out of jail will be refunded by anyone.

the police can name you in the charge, then you have to get a solicitor and defend yourself

you just DONT want your name associated with that type of thing.

get some legal advice on the matter then talk to me, lol

Hey Unhappy mowing. All you need to do is read the manual and add any extra information that applies to your business. These manuals are always a work in progress and sould be updated as required. I find your attitude fairly pessimistic. What Owen is suggesting would involve alot of work and I know would benifit many contractors on this site......Owen how does the P&P you mentioned differ from an OH&S manual? I posted this thread in April and it has taken 4 1/2 months to get a reply. This is important to me. Thanks Brad
    BLUEBOY

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast