Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 16 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: G'day from Sunbury Vic

Default G'day from Sunbury Vic

A very big hello to all of you
    Name is Adrian aka Aido.
    Live in Sunbury Victoria.
    Absolutely jack of my job and working for others.
    For many years I have been keen to start my own business and be rid of the daily grind. I have even given it a crack a few years ago in a small niche area but failed miserably due to lack of time and the human body doesn't like to work 16 hrs a day between 2 jobs. I have for a long time had my head up my ass and been looking for that "one thing" but have now decided that I don't need to re-invent the wheel. Afterall you blokes / lasses make a living from this industry, why cant I?
    Besides it "seems" relatively simple in terms of start up and day to day operations......Not to sound too blasé and full credit to all of the successful crew. It seems that those that cant make it are just not cut for managing themselves let alone a business.
    Have been cutting lawns and gardening for 25 years - I'm 35. Used to tie mums old Masport to the back of my bike when I was 10 and trundle around our neighbourhood mowing holiday houses for $10 a go. From memory I think I had 5 lawns regularly.Have since only done my own. So if I could do that from the age of 10 then I shouldn't have too many problems at age 35....surely . Problem these days though is that with mortgages and responsibilities its difficult to see the clear path because you over think it all.....I currently have a elephant and a giraffe standing beside the fridge wondering why they are not at the Lion Kings meeting ( I got the book and those that have also read it will understand )

So anyway. I'm going to start up in the next week or two in the Sunbury region. I have joined up and got the handbook. I will be speaking with the accountant next week. I will be purchasing equipment shortly thereafter and I will only be looking for weekend work for the next 4-6months and maintain my current job until I see the time is right to jump in boots and all. Cant wait!
    Have been reading the forum for the last month and there is alot of useful information and some very good people here. Keep it up.

Adrian

Default Re: G'day from Sunbury Vic

Welcome and best of luck! you are already off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Welcome and best of luck! you are already off to a great start.
    X2,
    Starting up now, give it a crack now but it will come in much stronger from Oct onward.
    Here in Melb I would suggest that the next 5 months r slower with winter + a month either side.
    Dont let this deteur u from starting up now, just bear it in mind.
    Its great to have an income whilst building, good luck!
    Cheers Fred.

Thanks fellas.
    Plan is to start slowly over winter and get established before launching around sept full tilt.

Aido for what is worth i started over twenty ago ( here he goes again lol ) and started in May like you...actually although the work is slow to start with you can get into the groove at your pace...i went alone and it was tough but if you some income thats better but at least you are planning to give a crack as fred said....mate you will do fine as long as you and especially your family believe in you .always works

Welcome Aido and best of luck, I was a bricklayer for many yrs and decided to dive into this, sacrificed alot and tried to do both, it workd for a while but in the end I was turning alot away due to doing it. Trying to go full time and going to push advertising in the next few weeks with hope of staying on.

You have great support here m8..keep us updated on ur venture.
    Cheers.
    MIGHTY MOW Lawn & Garden Services
    Brett Youlten
    Mob: 0415 112 163
    Web: www.mightymow.com.au

Email: info@mightymow.com.au
    Proudly Australian Owned

hey brettly, make sure you put up a flier in Bernies window!

Quote Originally Posted by C.O.R.Y.S View Post
    hey brettly, make sure you put up a flier in Bernies window!
    Would that work..do u know the area?
    Cheers.
    MIGHTY MOW Lawn & Garden Services
    Brett Youlten
    Mob: 0415 112 163
    Web: www.mightymow.com.au

Email: info@mightymow.com.au
    Proudly Australian Owned

Welcome Aido,from another newbie,Sunbury is a nice part of the world,,cheers mick
    "If you grab a wildcat by the tail,you will learn things that can be taught in no other way"...Mark Twain.

Cheers to all
    Some progress today.

Didn't get a before pic but most of you know what a rusty trailer looks like.
    And here it is after a couple of hours of tidy up.

Another coat next week. Had to add the bling bling wheel covers when it came up looking all neat with shabby old wheels.

Welcome Aido,

As has already been said it is a quiet time of year but that gives you the time to get used to your machines, make sure you get the best out of them and learn the quickest and best way to do things, then when spring hits again you will be ready to kick that old job and go it full time.

Alot of people have started part time, its hard to give up a full time income if you dont have the clientelle waiting there for you.

Good luck with it, read everything you can and if you cant find something ask a question, there is always someone who has the answer (and always someone else with a different answer )

Cheers Drew

Quote Originally Posted by brettly View Post
    Would that work..do u know the area?
    why wouldnt it? it does good trade and is the central take away/convienence store for the area and they always have a heap of ads and fliers in their windows. i know i always used to read them while waiting for my chicken burger and corn jack! lol! moved out of luemeah just before christmas, go the tigers! (magpies actually)

hey welcome Aido, im still new to and this forum is a goldmine. trailer looks good to mate.

Welcome aboard Aido. Ask away if you need any help. Plenty of ppl on here to lend a hand. Good luck.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

G'day Aido. I'm Melbourne born and bred and relevently new to the business (been in the industry a little while longer though). since day one things just kept on looking "up and up"....been going a while now but if your willing to get your hands dirty there is absolutely no shortage of potential clients.....smash it mate!

Just re-read all the above posts and want to say thanks to all of you. You all portray a level of enthusiasm that washes away the doubts and niggling "whatifs".
    Watched a bloke ( Reedy's Property Maintenance down Geelong way) go about his job at a site I was working at this morning and he made it all look too easy.
    Called into Rays outdoors today and picked up 2 pair of King Gee strides and 2 polo shirts to get kicked off on the weekends. Also braved the after 4 o'clock traffic ****fight that is the Sunbury shopping precinct and picked up a pope blower from Big w.
    More shopping to do over the weekend and so far I am well under budget!!

Page 1 of 16 12345678910111213141516 LastLast