Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out, equipment and your local mower shop

Default Starting out, equipment and your local mower shop

I have looked at the "Starter packages" available from Dean and they do represent good value for money......but
    I have also been in consultation with my local mower store. They too have offered me a very good package that is equal in value for money.
    So how much do you depend upon your local store for parts and pieces? I am looking to develop a relationship with them for obvious reasons but with everything being available online and often at a discounted price do I really need to rely on them?
    I am a small engine mechanic and have a sound knowledge of plant and equipment and so can easily maintain my own equipment.
    My conundrum is. Do I purchase from Indy and keep up with consumables and spares via the internet or front up to the counter of the local store for parts and pieces that I require urgently when they have never seen me. Or do I buy through them and develop a rapport that will hopefully see me in a favourable position for customer service and possibly even loaner equipment if the worst case arises?

Where did you lot source your equipment when you first started out?
    What sort of relationship do you have with your local suppliers?
    Theres an elephant looking over my left shoulder and a giraffe looking over my right as I hit "submit". We are all intrigued but are not sure if this is another trivial matter we are over thinking.

Default Re: Starting out, equipment and your local mower shop

get an makita 2510 whippy, a pope blower and a ebay chinese honda from AGR or similar(theres stuff all difference between the "genuine" & the copies, just the opinions of people living in the past)

I would say just be careful with the local mower shops. I have found it's hard to find a good one and most can smell a newbie coming a mile away. This is just from my experience in my area. They will feed you some **** about the brands they sell, bump the price up and tell you you are getting a really good deal. It took me 12 months and some really bad experiences with "the local mower shop" to find a good genuine dealer/repair shop. So shop around, ask a million questions and be prepared to get burnt occasionally.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

In townsville all the shops seem to be s*%$ none seem to have parts. I couldnt get blades for my 550 had to get them ordered in on wednesday and it looks as though i will be getting them tuesday to bad if i had snapped one. Been looking online for a place to get victa blades if someone knows one let me know.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Hi TLG i buy 10 pair of blades at a time,then rebuy when down to 2 pair..some times cheaper to buy in bulk and 10 pair should last at least 5-7 months per mower..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Hi TLG i buy 10 pair of blades at a time,then rebuy when down to 2 pair..some times cheaper to buy in bulk and 10 pair should last at least 5-7 months per mower..
    Where from though

I think it important to buils a relationship with your local shop. However Its also very important they know if you can get a cheaper price elsewhere thats where you'll go. Important you say your looking for some info on their machines and prices your lookig to start up and your shopping around for best value for $. They want your business. Be foreard in telling them it's cheaper elsewhere if it is. Theres heaps of stuff on here reviewing all types of equip, for mine if you start out with a Honda 196 or sp 216 and a T270 Shindy snip and a Sthill blower you on the right track. Only my opinion though, Honda have changed a bit on their new models but so shop around. Often if you google a piece of equip their will be product reviews attached. Eg I've had a relationship with my mower shop for 4 years. Needed 2 hydro filters for my Toro, my shop $91 each, Rang around and get them from Townsville for $65 ech including postage. I made sure I told my local bloke bout it too.
    As far as blades I get mine from Dean. Even with postage nobody has been able to give me a better price.
    Best of luck to ya mate
    Last edited by mowjoman; 01-05-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: miossed a bit
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Thanks for the input guys.
    As far as "smelling a newbie a mile away" I basically walked in and laid it all on the table
    1.I'm completely green and looking for good quality equipment that will not give me grief in the initial start up phase
    2. I'm looking for the best price I can get.
    3. I will be repeat business if we do this right in the begining
    To that end the proprietor was very forthcoming and spent almost an hour with me answering my questions and pointing out the pro's and cons of each piece of equipment he stocked. Husky, Honda, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Victa. He was very forthcoming and in my opinion very honest. At the end of it all he offered 10-15% off RRP if all purchased in one hit, which I will do of course.
    They too are a new business in a very large premises with lots of stock on the floor and so I can see from their point of view that they also need Gold Customers to keep things ticking over. I came away very pleased with the initial interaction and hope for that to continue.
    On the flipside I can purchase a "Turn Key" package through Indy and have the support of spares and consumables a mouse click away. Doing this no doubt benefits Indy buying power by increasing turn over and also benefits others.

This is not about what equipment to purchase but more so where from.
    So in terms of customer service and dependability how much do you rely on your local store?
    From some posts above I can see there a few unhappy campers but has anyone developed a good rapport with the local store / dealer?

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    Where from though
    I used to run a workshop and we used either
    http://www.bynorm.com.au/index.php?page=20

Or

GB products

I'm not sure what it takes to establish an account and whether they have an annual target spend to qualify but I will be looking into it very shortly. Bynorm here in Melb deliver same day if not overnight and stock a huge range.

You should support local businesses but sometimes you just can't get what you want. I do most of my own repairs and source blades from ASP or this site, it really does pay to shop around e.g. a genuine fuel filter for my Toro was over $25.00 but I got a generic in-line one from Repco for about $4.00, does the same job just as well if not better. While I was there I got a few Ryco Z386 filters which are a fraction of the price of a Genuine Kawasaki oil filter. Tyre shops are a cheaper place for replacement belts than genuine. I buy my SAE 30 monograde in a 20 litre drum, much cheaper than 5 litre bottles. Get your w-snip cord in rolls instead of small packets, poison what ever you can and you will save time, w-snip cord and fuel.

Better still have 2 of everything: mower, snipper, blower, ride on so if you get a breakdown you can keep going and fix your broken one later. You can often find bargains on the net and in this day and age you're mad if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Aido View Post
    So in terms of customer service and dependability how much do you rely on your local store?
    From some posts above I can see there a few unhappy campers but has anyone developed a good rapport with the local store / dealer?

Adrian
    I rely on my local bloke a bit ay. When I have a break down I take it in and they prioritise it. It is a two way street. Some stuff I buy there but I look around too. Comes down to how you want to buy your gear I guess. Personally with machinery I like to touch it and use it first, you know see how it feels etc. Your consumables though would be fine to but online etc for me anyway.
    Sounds like your local bloke is fairdinkum to me. I believe its a good relationship to have and support him when you can I reckon.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

if your lucky and find the local shop , its a god send,they back you up when you really wont that ugent repair,its a good feeling to drop in your busted start cord and they fix it there and then ,although we have double of everything its terrific to have back up service...the guy we go to always gives the best prices for parts and provides repairs at a moments notice..mind you it takes time to build the relationship but once you are achieved a good spend it seems to work...not worth mucking around for hours when these guys can fix it quickly...like a good book keeper i gues lol

I have a good local bloke and he is excellent. I support him and he supports me. He has sent a fair bit of work my way and I even clean up his compound once a week. But I still buy gear elsewhere.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Can someone post a link to Deans starter packs?
    Friend is thinking of starting out and might be a good way for him to go. I couldn't see them on the site.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aido View Post
    I used to run a workshop and we used either
    http://www.bynorm.com.au/index.php?page=20

Or

GB products

I'm not sure what it takes to establish an account and whether they have an annual target spend to qualify but I will be looking into it very shortly. Bynorm here in Melb deliver same day if not overnight and stock a huge range.
    spoke to there bynorm guys today and there getting there rep to contact me. If there cheap enough i will use them and contact the other contractors here in townsville and see if they want to get cheap gear thhrough them as well. I am over the **** dealers here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast