Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toro Grandstand/ Ferris Evolution

Default Toro Grandstand/ Ferris Evolution

Hi folks,

has anyone here demoed both brands?

which is generally the better machine, duabilty, ease of use, cut quality?

could either of these be seen as a cheaper alternative to a walker for the smaller jobs where cut quality is important?

I am unable to demo either at this stage, just hoping for some general feedback...

Are these machines friendly on the turf, or a bit prone to tyre marking?

thanks.

Default Re: Toro Grandstand/ Ferris Evolution

yep toro was heaps better. The Ferris was still a good machine but the seat was kinda pointless and not as comfortable as the Toro, The Ferris had a poor cut on long wet grass. Toro was built much more solidly. Ferris cut up the turf very easily wher the Toro hardly left a mark. Toro gets 3 blades on the 40" deck, Ferris only gets 3 blades @ 48". Toro had much easier controls (same configuration just more precise). Ferris was a little faster and has one extra horsepower, but when you go to 3 blades on each the Toro has more hp per inch. Both had a list price around 10k, but Toro gave a considerable discount. Toro had 6.9% finance, ferris doesn't have finance.

No way Budd Re: Toro Grandstand/ Ferris Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by jimrtl81 View Post
    yep toro was heaps better. The Ferris was still a good machine but the seat was kinda pointless and not as comfortable as the Toro, The Ferris had a poor cut on long wet grass. Toro was built much more solidly. Ferris cut up the turf very easily wher the Toro hardly left a mark. Toro gets 3 blades on the 40" deck, Ferris only gets 3 blades @ 48". Toro had much easier controls (same configuration just more precise). Ferris was a little faster and has one extra horsepower, but when you go to 3 blades on each the Toro has more hp per inch. Both had a list price around 10k, but Toro gave a considerable discount. Toro had 6.9% finance, ferris doesn't have finance.
    And how many Toro's would you sell a year jim???

get over yourself mate. just bought one last week.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

I had a demo on a ferris on a mango farm on a dry day and the cutting decks where set high so it wasnt a real good indication but the 60 inch one gees it flew and i was actually a bit scared on t the 42 inch one was not bad to ride around on theyhad one of the ones you sit on it like a motorbike but they didnt let me get it on it whic was what i went there wanting to look at and the guy that was the demo guy said there bit of mucking around to get used to and tear up the grass when your new on them and he was trying his best not to tear the rass and still he left a tear mark where he first took off nd that turned me off them. There is a couple of guys floating around townsville with the grandstands vj has one I tried one guys one here in townsville i think his was a bit off though as it kept wanting to go left unless i had my left hnd slightly back from my right. I have seen them tear up some grass in the wet and have actually had to help vj get his out of a yard cause it was bogged to the axles but it was really badly wet at that time and even my victa 550 was leaving tracks in some yards. Any way if that was your two choices i would go grandstand but check around as i am looking at a dixon 42inch with fabricated deck for 7 with the comforty of sitting down and a 10 inch extra cut butu then again if you have the smaller gates the toro may get in where the dixon is too big.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

we own the toro, 4 of them. 3 48s and 1 36. awesome on turf with a fantastic crisp cut. cutting our grasses, it is almost impossible to clump(i havent yet all year) and rarely every scrape the deck. it cuts in all conditions. then, the baffle is adjustable and i have found the more i use it the more i am glad to have it. here especially cuz each lawn may be dif grass, better or worse condition.

we got the higher HP models.

we liked these so much and the G3 that we have almost replaced out whole fleet with toro machines.

i have demoed ferris machines(but not the icd deck) and found the cut to be ok at best but the riders were really smooth with suspension. that was the only thing i liked on any ferris

Quote Originally Posted by Grassman177 View Post
    we own the toro, 4 of them. 3 48s and 1 36. awesome on turf with a fantastic crisp cut. cutting our grasses, it is almost impossible to clump(i havent yet all year) and rarely every scrape the deck. it cuts in all conditions. then, the baffle is adjustable and i have found the more i use it the more i am glad to have it. here especially cuz each lawn may be dif grass, better or worse condition.

we got the higher HP models.

we liked these so much and the G3 that we have almost replaced out whole fleet with toro machines.

i have demoed ferris machines(but not the icd deck) and found the cut to be ok at best but the riders were really smooth with suspension. that was the only thing i liked on any ferris
    there not grandstands though are they. The grandstand is the one you stand up on the back there only 32 inch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    there not grandstands though are they. The grandstand is the one you stand up on the back there only 32 inch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo
    TLLG Grassmans in the U.S and grandstands are available in all different sizes over there up to 60"
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

yeah, thought you knew i was over here. all sizes, why cant you get all sizes?

32 is weak, 48 in and 52 are the common sizes for resi lawns over here for sure.

sorry didnt read the us thing.

Grandstands are only new in the market here. Ferris are still new as well

the grandstands are really super man, they are the most productive mower i have ever used.

as far as being in the US, i am here to learn more about your way of doing things, and of course to answer any ?s you guys have about machines, and other topics. it is fun for me.

so, ask away if there is anything i can help with i will

I am looking at a dixon at the moment there totally american even have a american flag on it. I am getting the speedztr 42'se any thing you know on them be helpfull. Also what self propelled mowers you guys use over there for the smaller yards.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    I am looking at a dixon at the moment there totally american even have a american flag on it. I am getting the speedztr 42'se any thing you know on them be helpfull. Also what self propelled mowers you guys use over there for the smaller yards.
    they just get wider gates
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

we do get wider gates!!! haha

dixon is a good mower these days, cuz they are part of husqvarna/yazookees etc. therefore, the new series are very good.

but this is a homeowner model with not commercial warranty. you will break it fast if you use it everyday in and out like one.

we see many a guy here using those "types" as new start ups and stuff and those mowers go out quick trying to put hours on them. the engines are junk too with a short life overall.

not trying to burst your bubble but i see it how it is, a cheap mower

Its suppose to be a commercial machine it has welded deck

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...2618036&type=1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast