Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferris 3100 ztr

Default Ferris 3100 ztr

Hi,

anyone own/operate a Ferris 3100?

I'm chasing general feedback, cut quality, and average feul consumption with the 32 hp vanguard engine....

See they come with gas now too.....cheaper to run, but could be a pain if ya run out, guess they could run all day on both tanks...??

for an extra $5000 I can get the big diesel 5100, is it worth spending the extra? They are heavy.....

thanks

Default Re: Ferris 3100 ztr

There is a bloke up here who has the Diesel Ferris 60 inch and he didn't recommend it to me. He's had a few dramas with drive belts and silly little problems, he also has a new Toro 60 inch petrol and he uses it more, simply because it is a better mower on hills, banks etc. Although he did say it (Ferris) is good for open areas, very comfortable. I demoed one once and you can go as fast as you want over the rough stuff and it is like sitting in a lounge chair. Lots of moving parts but.

Thanks for that mate.

the diesel model is a big bugger, even looks very heavy, I have not been on one though.

the seating position looks like a very forward position.

Glad you mentioned belts, this is something I'm interested in knowing more about, when others are making shaft drive units e.g deere and toro etc on their bigger lines why ferris is making them still with belt.

build cost I guess....

The ferris are good looking units though, but I don't think I've ever seen one working, but I see several toro 7200's, jd 997's etc etc.

thanks again.

There would be a lot of torque going through the belt on the diesel. Shaft driven deck would be the go IMO if going large diesel.
    Id say the 3100 would be fine with the 32 Briggs.

Ive heard the 3100 is pretty good on slopes but havent even seen one in person. I drove the diesel once in a car park. Very heavy and took time to get up to speed and time to slow down. Lighter petrol models would be quicker on smaller properties.
    If your doing a lot of large open acres, thats what diesels are for, but if just doing smaller ressy properties petrol machines would be the go. $5000 is A LOT of money to make back. I'd bet the machine would be beat to death before that would happen.

I'd like to demo a 3100 myself actually but so many moving parts is a worry. Conditions are tougher over here than in the USA.

Ferris has a recent new deck (ICD I think its called) and is much better than the old deck by all accounts. If you demo a Ferris, make sure it has that deck!

Bushranger or Encore Prowler has a shaft drive, pivoting front axle and articulating deck. They look like not a bad machine but pretty uncommon so I don't know what parts back up is like. I priced one a few years ago and they were pretty dear (probably because of being shaft drive), but maybe with the aussie dollar they have gone down in price a bit. The discharge chute does look a bit small. Anyone used one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgR4Golq6g8
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Hey guys, wanted to open a new thread but thought might as well use this one.

Wondering whether anyone in Sydney on here owns a Ferris 3100? Or anyone on here own one, what can you tell me about your experience with it.

Im seriously considering a purchase, have only been able to demo an is2500 with a 61" set up for mulching. The ride was good & couldnt get it to scalp so I was pleased but it was only 3-4mins. Usually issues with ZTRs dont wont show up until youv put a few hrs on them.

Anyway hoping that someone around here owns one. Cheers

Hi Cylo, I'm just heading to town to demo the 36hp 3100 this morning. I'll let you know my impressions of it tonight. fwiw. Not sure what the grass is like or if any slopes, but I'll definately try to guage how the scalping might be etc.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Hi Cylo, I'm just heading to town to demo the 36hp 3100 this morning. I'll let you know my impressions of it tonight. fwiw. Not sure what the grass is like or if any slopes, but I'll definately try to guage how the scalping might be etc.
    That'd be great, will be looking forward to hearing from you! See if you can give the suspension a good workout over any bumps you can find, give it a go at full speed. The 2500 I demod has a 16kph ground speed, the 3100 is 19kph.

What mower will you be replacing if you buy a new ZTR? Cheers

I've got a Gravely Compact Pro 44" ATM, but I'll keep it for the smaller jobs. My main concern is if the Ferris is as strong as the Gravely. The suspension moving parts don't really worry me. Those knuckles would be easy to replace, but if something bends, that's a concern.

Well I did the demo and had a good look over the machine.
    First off, I've only done 850 hours on a well used little workhorse so stepping on this 12 hr old limousine was a whole different animal. Everything seemed tight & jerky but after half an hour I had adjusted to it.
    Took it into a rough, chewed down cow paddock of mostly kikuyu with some love grass tussocks and it cut them off ok. Not flat out of course, but certainly quicker & easier than my Gravely would have done.
    I didn't get much of a go on better type lawn though as it was already cut, but I set the deck to their cutting height and tried it out for scalping and wheel marks. Had to really try hard to leave any tyre scuff marks in the turf (Kikuyu). Had the suspension working by jerking backwards/forwards and side to side, but I didn't see any signs that the deck was digging in and cutting uneven. But remember, this is on a pretty ordinary area. Visual results might be different on a pristine lawn.
    There was only one little bit of a slope around 2 sides of a tankstand. Barely long enough to get up onto but it got up and around the corner easily without scalping the corner or the bottom edge of the cut. Hardly a test though.

Suspension is nice. No trouble travelling at top pace over rough ground, but I couldn't say if you could mow properly at this pace. The grass just wasn't there to test it out.

The machine itself looks well made. This deck had the ordinary fixed anti-scalp wheels on the front corners, not the adjustable swivelling ones that are in the brochure.

I like the Hercules spindles with the 10" diameter mounting flange and 1 1/4" shaft.

So I still don't know how the deck handles grass, but otherwise it looks like it would do the job for me. I have done a full day on a 30hp IS2000 with the old deck on it in demanding conditions and thought that it would be good enough for my needs, so if this ICD deck is any better it should suit me.

They other thing in my mind now is that Gravely will soon have an improved X Factor deck with wider discharge chute and adjustable front baffle. If they ever get it on a 460 to AU it might be worth considering.

Is that Ferris deck just a side throw or does it mulch or catch as well?

You can get collection systems and mulch kits up to 61" deck Paul.

Interesting. Possibly a more economic option for me than a Walker although the hi-lift dump is what I really want.

edbeek - Much appreciate your info! Sounds like you spent a good half hour on the machine, my dealer only allowed about 4 minutes tops for me and mind you he was watching me closely the whole time!

Pleased to hear you couldnt get any scalping, its sounding more & more like the deck is very well set up with the suspension!

Shame about the lack of decent grass to show how well it cuts, was the same thing for my quick demo but other thing is mine had a mulch kit, id like to see how the ICD distribute clippings.

Yea I agree the machine looks strong and well built, apparently the 2013 models moved away from the 360' anti scalp wheels, ppl were bending them too easily.

The extra moving parts from suspension wont be an issue, im happy to spend more time maintaining them if need be due to better ride, from what im told they dont take much extra to service anyhow.

So your not in any rush to purchase a new machine by the sound of it. Im just wondering now whether to go ahead and buy or find someone that owns one nearby to go and see it in action some more!

I'd still like to try it in some grass though Cylo. Looks like your lawns need to be much better presented than mine. As long as the grass comes out of the deck I'm 90% there on most of my jobs

My mowing has just about stopped for the season now so I told them I wouldn't buy until Sept. No good wasting 4-5 months warranty to have it sitting in the shed.

Paul, i think you can get double/triple baggers. Hold about 4 cubic ft/ bag. Not as easy as a hi lift, but still manageable I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast