Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    great googling!....my 90 y.o. dads car has been the victim of a scammy mechanic this last week or so, to the tune of $1100.......so well done Steve and f**k you Ultratune
    Unbelievable Redeye. That is very troubling to hear. As if being 90 years old in this day and age wouldn't be difficult enough you hear about stuff like this.

I often wonder, sometimes it feels as if the world has gone mad and it moves too fast. What must it feel like for those amongst us who were born in the 1920's and 1930's?

$80/hr plus parts seems about right at 10 hrs work, what did they actually do??

Very Helpful Member

probably pumped up the tyres and if he's lucky they also replaced the airfilter and oil
    this reminded me of when I started and was looking at mowers and the salesman was giving a big speal about the Rover and the virtues of the Briggs and Stratton I/C Integrated Circuit engine,I didn't say anything but was thinking what and how would a Integrated Circuit help a small self propelled lawnmower engine work better made no sense to me later after leaving I realised I/C stood for Industrial and Commercial not Integrated Circuit and the salesman just had no idea what he was talking about.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    probably pumped up the tyres and if he's lucky they also replaced the airfilter and oil
    this reminded me of when I started and was looking at mowers and the salesman was giving a big speal about the Rover and the virtues of the Briggs and Stratton I/C Integrated Circuit engine,I didn't say anything but was thinking what and how would a Integrated Circuit help a small self propelled lawnmower engine work better made no sense to me later after leaving I realised I/C stood for Industrial and Commercial not Integrated Circuit and the salesman just had no idea what he was talking about.
    Yesterday I got one a tyre fitted to a spare wheel. When I got home with it to fit it on the car I thought I'd better check the pressure.

They had set it at 60PSI. WTF. I'm not expecting them to work out the correct pressure but that is pretty bloody high for a passenger car tyre.

Every time its the same, there are very few who pay attention to detail. They over tighten ****, they leave bolts loose etc etc. Once I found a really good snap on ratchet tool wedged in the engine bay that a mechanic had left. Years ago I got tyres fitted to my old kingswood at a tyre fitter. It had monaro mags. When I picked it someone had pinched the original mag cap. They denied it but I could tell, they looked guilty as sin.

And this bull**** of the manufacturer not releasing the workshop manual is a licence to print money.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Unbelievable Redeye. That is very troubling to hear. As if being 90 years old in this day and age wouldn't be difficult enough you hear about stuff like this.

I often wonder, sometimes it feels as if the world has gone mad and it moves too fast. What must it feel like for those amongst us who were born in the 1920's and 1930's?
    Happened to my late father too at 83-89 yrs old was ripped off by local mechanic in Central Victoria & at a Retail Chain Auto Service Centre in Central Victoria. Plus an Estate Agent until my brother and I stepped in to recover Thousands of $$$.
    Then we moved Dad 320kms closer to my home some two streets away from me.
    Then a Religious group when dad was 89 and failing in health, where hovering like seagulls everyday including Sat/Sun and even entering the backyard via open roller doors and persuading enough to also gain entry to the front door of his house swooping like magpies. I became aware by sheer luck. A good customer of mine in the same street with vision of my fathers house were then calling me when they saw the R/Group. Plus a retired Police Sergeant in the said street also helped us.

It's a rapidly changing World Folks.
    Cheers Garry

Anyone who takes advantage of the elderly are nothing but scum in my book. And I have seen plenty of lawnies rip off old people. Karma boys, one day you will be old , if someone doesent get hold of you first, and teach you a few lessons,

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Happened to my late father too at 83-89 yrs old was ripped off by local mechanic in Central Victoria & at a Retail Chain Auto Service Centre in Central Victoria. Plus an Estate Agent until my brother and I stepped in to recover Thousands of $$$.
    Then we moved Dad 320kms closer to my home some two streets away from me.
    Then a Religious group when dad was 89 and failing in health, where hovering like seagulls everyday including Sat/Sun and even entering the backyard via open roller doors and persuading enough to also gain entry to the front door of his house swooping like magpies. I became aware by sheer luck. A good customer of mine in the same street with vision of my fathers house were then calling me when they saw the R/Group. Plus a retired Police Sergeant in the said street also helped us.

It's a rapidly changing World Folks.
    You only need to see how they are treated in many retirement villages and nursing homes to understand they are an easy target. Together with slack government regulations protecting them and a legal system we have adopted that offers them very little - too hard and too costly for too little reward. (They seem to be able to use the system in jail though)

I dodged a bullet last week with the Kawasaki engine on my ztr.

Finished mowing and parked the mower beside the trailer while I did some trimming. When I backed the mower onto the trailer, it left a trail of oil on the floor. No oil on the ground where it was parked though.
    Got home & oil everywhere over the floor of the trailer. I'd just had the shaft seal replaced so I thought maybe it was damaged whilst being fitted.

But apparently there is a welsh plug in the sump plate and it had popped out. It must have come out just as I was loading the mower as the mechanic found it sitting on top of the clutch.
    Tried to get a new one from the dealer, but they could see the plug on the diagram, but it didn't have a part number. They rang the distributor and they'd never heard of one needing replacing, so they had none in Australia and would be 5 weeks getting one in.

The mechanic cemented and peened the old one back in and it's back at work again.

If it had let go 5 minutes earlier while I was mowing, it would have been one dead engine.

Being self employed, sitting in bed at 1.45am and can’t sleep. Got myself a big party bag of Smith’s and me loyal Golden Retriver sitting beside the bed who wants to eat the whole packet. Not just the ones I’m flicking at him. Have my first short day this season in the morning. So I don’t care if I wake up tired as a coffee will fix that.
    Got love being self employed.

Edit; 1.50am and 134 guests online WTF, go to bed peoples
    Cheers Garry

Well it took two coffee's to get going this morning, first irregular customer goes off for her lawn being so high, but she holds of 4.5weeks between mows. Absolute nutter and me a nutter as well for keeping her on books. But Home by 2.00pn so I'm a Happy Mowerman.
    Cheers Garry

Unexpectedly went to my great dentist for some dental work at 10.30 today, whom I maintain his private house & surgery lawns/gardens and totally lost interest in working for the day.
    Then got me backside into gear after lunch whilst home.

Went and picked up me 2 new front ride on tyres and had them fitted to rim by tyre chap.
    Removed both front L shaped axles and re welded inside anti movement thick spacer washers on the inner axles. Removed all steering linkages and replaced a bearing in wheel, hard to extract.
    Grease everything, reassemble with no wobble free play to the wheels and thin/medium gauge over wired the steering nipple linkages encase they jump out.

Happy ass to pull my finger out and do that starting mid arvo. One of those jobs that needs doing but gets put on the back burner.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Well it took two coffee's to get going this morning, first irregular customer goes off for her lawn being so high, but she holds of 4.5weeks between mows. Absolute nutter and me a nutter as well for keeping her on books. But Home by 2.00pn so I'm a Happy Mowerman.
    Just this morning?? Takes me at least that every morning

Everyone must be busy, been a little quiet here lately

When you go to collect payment for a job that's taken longer than you quoted, and the client says "do you want to reconsider your quote?"
    Then happily pays the new amount,

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    When you go to collect payment for a job that's taken longer than you quoted, and the client says "do you want to reconsider your quote?"
    Then happily pays the new amount,
    sounds like a dream customer, 99.9% of people would just pay quoted price

Page 135 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast