Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Proud dad, a trip of a life time for your little girl.
    Macka, second trip across Europe, only came home last October and saved hard as for this mega much longer trip across many more countries.
    Last time was robbed of $6,500au within 3 days of being there. This time much smarter,
    But big time worry for dad & mum, very attractive girl doing it solo = worry.
    At least this time has more experience re doggy people with money transfers into travel card as needed in smaller amounts by sister and a British & Aust passport.
    Having a British Passport means we hope she comes home and doesn't stay there.
    Cheers Garry

Hey Garry,

Any tips for the parents

My 19yo daughter is heading to Europe for 3 1/2 months next week
    She is going in a group of 4

I have one tip. Dont. Nows not the time to be travelling the world. Explore your own backyard first
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Daughter,
    Have a Great time whilst young.
    Pack the carry on bag and the Back Pack with the expectation the B/Pack will get lost in flight
    Don't have too much in the two currencies Travel card, have family at home able to transfer top funds in.
    Don't trust the lock up reception facilty at back pack hostels, doggy staff may break into B/Packs. Each small lock my daughter purchased I could open without knowing combo or having a key including one Masters lock.
    Internet cafes or at the hostile are always full and time on the net can be limited and at time only accessed late at night.
    Scammer, thieves are a plenty, people offer an item - you touch and now your expected to pay.
    Beggers.
    Ensure fully up with go pro and it works.
    Have all important documents and travel plans/prebooking scanned for family at home and daughter to excess on the road.
    Their Back Pack will weight more than a Husky 570 B/Pack Blower.
    Full dental/medical before ya go.
    Have a great time, be safe and alert.
    Virgin Airlines are the best so far.
    Carry some cash all the time, encase of a travel card stuff up or funds in travel card robbed.
    Sleep with your passports and cash and travel cards.
    Public transports makes our look like horse and cart, correction horse/cart is better than we what have.
    Any items in the luggage that can spoil clothing, will do so if your luggage is run over by luggage handlers.
    Luggage gets lost or delayed at the Dubia interchange.
    What ever help numbers the traveller has, phone credit will be chewed up before you get anywhere close to help.

Mum/Dad,
    PANIC, WORRY, 100PACK PANODOL on hand for each parent.
    Attach the word 'Love" to every message sent or emailed.
    Worry every time a text or e-mail comes in.
    Expect calls 24/7 and glady take them.
    Don't roster any work for 24hrs after they fly out.
    If an older sister or brother in the family have them have every password,ie bank account - facebook, e-mail and assistant with all communication for the person travelling.
    Very time consuming for traveller to contact mum/dad/family, friends, etc with what they are doing all the time whilst important to know where they are.
    Hope they don't meet Prince Charming and come home. Unless Prince Charming has a large Motor Yacht and sends it over to Australia to pick up Mum/Dad.
    If no phone plan set up, cheaper to call daughter via mobile than normal house phone.
    They will love it so much that they will return.
    Telling them about the worlds negatives will annoy them before the trip, but one honest talk will get through.
    They will take risks, my daughter did one night with the rail underground tube system when she should have caught a taxi. They try and save money with the I'll be right".
    On this second trip for my daughter she has a British Passport as my wife is a Pom. A British Passport make travel over there so much easier amongst other things.
    Ensure Dad or mum has a current Australian Passport.

On my daughters first trip late last year we had to get a message over to her to remove her small Aussie cloth badge of the back pack. This time she has a small plastic tag one attached.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Hey Garry,

Any tips for the parents

My 19yo daughter is heading to Europe for 3 1/2 months next week
    She is going in a group of 4
    when I travelled os as a 21 year old, I felt bulletproof, could get by without knowing the lingo, met and travelled with complete strangers along the way and had a great time, totally ignorant of any dangers I was. Now as a parent I can see it all in a very different way. I see the world in the different way, a lot more negative, much more protective, less trusting. It's still the same world though. One tip, don't be a loud and proud aussie overseas, it was ok 30 years ago but these days best to blend in as much as possible.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Daughter,
    Have a Great time whilst young.
    Pack the carry on bag and the Back Pack with the expectation the B/Pack will get lost in flight
    Don't have too much in the two currencies Travel card, have family at home able to transfer top funds in.
    Don't trust the lock up reception facilty at back pack hostels, doggy staff may break into B/Packs. Each lock my daughter purchased I could open without combo or key including one Masters lock.
    Internet cafes or at the hostile are always full and time on the net can be limited and at time only accessed late at night.
    Scammer, thieves are a plenty, people offer an item - you touch and now your expected to pay.
    Beggers.
    Ensure fully up with go pro and it works.
    Have all important documents and travel plans/prebooking scanned for family at home and daughter to excess on the road.
    Their Back Pack will weight more than a Husky 570 B/Pack Blower.
    Full dental/medical before ya go.
    Have a great time, be safe and alert.
    Virgin Airlines are the best so far.
    Carry some cash all the time, encase of a travel card stuff up or funds in travel card robbed.
    Sleep with your passports and cash and travel cards.
    Public transports makes our look like horse and cart, no horse/cart is better than we what have.
    Any items in the luggage that can spoil clothing, will do so if your luggage is run over by luggage handlers.
    Luggage gets lost or delayed at the Dubia interchange.
    What ever help numbers the traveller has, phone credit will be chewed up before you get anywhere close to help.

Mum/Dad,
    PANIC, WORRY, 100PACK PANODOL on hand for each parent.
    Attach the word 'Love" to every message sent or emailed.
    Worry every time a text or e-mail comes in.
    Expect calls 24/7 and glady take them.
    Don't roster any work for 24hrs after they fly out.
    If an older sister or brother in the family have them have every password,ie bank account - facebook, e-mail and assistant with all communication for the person travelling.
    Very time consuming for traveller to contact mum/dad/family, friends, etc with what they are doing all the time whilst important to know where they are.
    Hope they don't meet Prince Charming and come home. Unless Prince Charming has a large Motor Yacht and sends it over to Australia to pick up Mum/Dad.
    If no phone plan set up, cheaper to call daughter via mobile than normal house phone.
    They will love it so much that they will return.
    Telling them about the worlds negatives will annoy them before the trip, but one honest talk will get through.
    They will take risks, my daughter did one night with the tube system when she should have caught a taxi. They try and save money with the I'll be right".

Second trip for my daughter,
    On my daughters first trip late last year we had to get a message over to her to remove her Aussie badge of the back pack. This time she has one attached.
    Thanks Garry, some great advice

Read again what I posted as I added some more points whilst you were posting ie like mum or dad having a current passport.
    If your daughter is with the group, stay with the group, especially at night.

As Stevo said Blend In, don't stand out, My daughter doesn't drink or the other. But saw heaps of drinking in the hostel bars and loud peoples mucking around.
    Cheers Garry

Thanks Steveo and Garry.

Already have our passports, hope we don't need them

Already spoken about standing out etc, did a couple of OS family trips in the last few years so hopefully that will help too

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    when I travelled os as a 21 year old, I felt bulletproof, could get by without knowing the lingo, met and travelled with complete strangers along the way and had a great time, totally ignorant of any dangers I was. Now as a parent I can see it all in a very different way. I see the world in the different way, a lot more negative, much more protective, less trusting. It's still the same world though. One tip, don't be a loud and proud aussie overseas, it was ok 30 years ago but these days best to blend in as much as possible.
    Trust me mate it isnt the same world it was 30 years ago. Harrdly any terrorism then. My advice stays the same. Explore Australia. We have more to offer than half the world with far less risk. And at the end of the day you just might appreciate being an Aussie
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Probably got the AFP or FBI watching this site by now.

Gooday Fella's.
    Plus, another thing dad might do, like right now.. I'm watching my daughters flight to Santiago in Spain from Dublin. About 40min to arrival.
    Cheers Garry

You forgot the important information - pack half the clothes and twice the cash and have a blast because the pressures / responsibilities of everyday living are right around the corner and last for a long time. Above all else stay safe...

Don't use your mobile phone in 'roaming mode' when os if you don't want to be fleeced by the Aust telcos.
    Take an UNLOCKED mobile phone and asap on arrival buy a prepaid local SIM card (eg aldi or lidl or similar in Europe) and then your calls/data are are cheap (compared to here).
    In the EU pretty well all mob calls are considered 'local' - even across country boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by head1956 View Post
    You forgot the important information - pack half the clothes and twice the cash and have a blast because the pressures / responsibilities of everyday living are right around the corner and last for a long time. Above all else stay safe...
    good advice there. We probably should apply that to our lives everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Read again what I posted as I added some more points whilst you were posting ie like mum or dad having a current passport.
    If your daughter is with the group, stay with the group, especially at night.

As Stevo said Blend In, don't stand out, My daughter doesn't drink or the other. But saw heaps of drinking in the hostel bars and loud peoples mucking around.
    If she doesn't drink she's probably halved her risk just like that.

Council has abolished green waste tip fees for contractors here. From $80/tonne to zilch

Page 119 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast