Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    What is it mate, TBC or the Hitachi
    this one... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291498158...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    gone up $30 since last week.... I've pi**ed off the bump head and put on my beloved alloy 4 way and will swap handle with an old kawa one for extra anti-vibe

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    gone up $30 since last week.... I've pi**ed off the bump head and put on my beloved alloy 4 way and will swap handle with an old kawa one for extra anti-vibe
    That's the hitachi version....i have seen these in person..i think they will be ok. .what do u think?

Some are made in China and some in Japan,either way it should give anyone a reasonable run

My log splitter has been leaking oil from the end of the ram for quite a while. The dealer wasn't interested as it was out of warranty, and the ram is a single unit (not repairable)
    Went to a hydraulic shop and they didn't want to know me with a chinese ram. But they could set me up with a good US ram for $1k.
    So I made up a tool to unscrew the end cap off and found the offending bad O ring. Hopefully a $10-$20 O-ring will fix it.

IMG_20160428_174528rs.jpg IMG_20160428_170800rs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    My log splitter has been leaking oil from the end of the ram for quite a while. The dealer wasn't interested as it was out of warranty, and the ram is a single unit (not repairable)
    Went to a hydraulic shop and they didn't want to know me with a chinese ram. But they could set me up with a good US ram for $1k.
    So I made up a tool to unscrew the end cap off and found the offending bad O ring. Hopefully a $10-$20 O-ring will fix it.

IMG_20160428_174528rs.jpg IMG_20160428_170800rs.jpg
    If it works you can tell the shop to ram it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Good luck with it. I have the smaller cc hitachi and not a fan of it. Had issues with flooding when the tank is filled and then the on off switch failed under warranty. My experiences with trying to get things sorted under warranty after buying this stuff online has driven me back to buying off reputable dealers. Had a chain oiler blockage in my sthil cordless and was repaired under warranty no charge overnight. They had to pull it apart as the hose inside the tank had detached.
    I'm only saying this so you end up having a flawless run with this machine due to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Good one - hydraulic rams aren't rocket science as some would have you believe.
    Get them open with a pin spanner or C spanner (ones that have the hole on the outside rather than end), or if in desparation, a big pipe wrench/stillson and use a dead blow hammer or mash hammer for extra persuasion if necessary.
    I reckon your O rings will be much less than $10 ..
    Keep everything nice and clean and it should be a good fix.

Next time round you wont even contemplate taking it to hydraulic 'expert'

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Lawnmowing View Post
    Got my old Kazz whippy running again, Big thanks to John from SE Mowing Cheers mate
    Happy to help, even though I left it in the garage for a few weeks forgetting to post it. Told you I got busy, not sure if it was that or old age creeping up

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Bali in August
    Europe in May/June 2017

Anyone who has been have tips and or places they enjoyed going and why.

Will probably take a coach tour for 2-3 weeks over many countries then spend another couple weeks going back to visit the places we would have liked to spend more time in.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Good luck with it. I have the smaller cc hitachi and not a fan of it. Had issues with flooding when the tank is filled and then the on off switch failed under warranty. My experiences with trying to get things sorted under warranty after buying this stuff online has driven me back to buying off reputable dealers. Had a chain oiler blockage in my sthil cordless and was repaired under warranty no charge overnight. They had to pull it apart as the hose inside the tank had detached.
    I'm only saying this so you end up having a flawless run with this machine due to this post.
    fingers crossed steve....its a bugger all the brands basically going to sh*t, really hard to find quality now - I went VERY close to getting a Maruyama, but couldn't actually find one

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Europe in May/June 2017

Will probably take a coach tour for 2-3 weeks over many countries then spend another couple weeks going back to visit the places we would have liked to spend more time in.
    We have always LEASED a car (citroen / Renault / pug) rather than renting from Avis or the like ad it is far more economical if you want it for more than 20-30 days. All arranged in Aust.
    Lease cars have no issues crossing country boundaries and is fully insured with no excess. All you buy is fuel & tolls and you take it back with tank empty
    If you want to buy most Euro train tickets, SNCF website (French rail operator) is a good place pricewise and they email you the eticket --- no hassles.
    You can buy some very good package holidays, cruises etc at a fraction of the price offered for the same thing in Aust by checking out Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud in Germany and Lidl (all these cut price supermarket operators sell travel products in Europe).
    Forget mobile phone roaming -- buy a prepaid Aldi or Lidl sim card once you get there and calls are as cheap as chips.

Be prepared to experiment and stay in small gasthofs (germany), pensions or if you want brand hotels, the Ibis chain gives good value.
    Enjoy yourself and engage with the locals & eat the local food.

Joe

Europe in May/June 2017

Do some research in to credit card overseas transaction fees as this can vary a lot. There is a card i was told that was the best to use but I can't remember its name, if I think of it I'll let you know.

Europe in May/June 2017

Have a look at the 28degrees credit card. That's the one i was recommended, i haven't got it but would look at it if travelling OS.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Do some research in to credit card overseas transaction fees as this can vary a lot. There is a card i was told that was the best to use but I can't remember its name, if I think of it I'll let you know.
    Re credit cards - always do your transactions in the local currency eg Euro etc. Some places will offer you the option of paying in $AUD , but they don't tell you that they are really doing you over with their exchange rate (+ they pocket a commission) and their is still every chance the credit card co will charge a 'foreign transaction fee'

Get yourself a standard ATM access card from your bank (not visa / mastercard branded one) with link to your standard bank account. This will ensure that any money you get from an overseas ATM will come from your bank account. Many (most) European ATM machines don't have as many options/choices as the ones here for selecting which account you access. If you put in a visa/mastercard for a cash withdrawal, it will most likely be treated as a credit card Cash Advance. ouch! We are relatively spoilt here with the functionalityof our ATM's. The bank's ATM card is also very useful as a backup should you happen to lose / damage, have it 'held bg a machine', forget pin etc your credit card. Your credit card maybe disabled pending replacement, but the other card will not be.

Be wary of rental car co's, hotels etc that want to 'pre debit' any security bond, damage waiver fee etc (some can want nearly 2k) from your credit card and then refund later. The debit happens instantly (& and bites into your credit limit), whilst their 'refund / reversal' of the charge can take days / 1-2 weeks to be processed, and until this happens you can find that you are at your credit limit and transactions are declined. Sticky/embarrassing situation if you don't have cash or alternative access to cash!

Traps for the unknowing traveller.

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    We have always LEASED a car (citroen / Renault / pug) rather than renting from Avis or the like ad it is far more economical if you want it for more than 20-30 days. All arranged in Aust.
    Lease cars have no issues crossing country boundaries and is fully insured with no excess. All you buy is fuel & tolls and you take it back with tank empty
    If you want to buy most Euro train tickets, SNCF website (French rail operator) is a good place pricewise and they email you the eticket --- no hassles.
    You can buy some very good package holidays, cruises etc at a fraction of the price offered for the same thing in Aust by checking out Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud in Germany and Lidl (all these cut price supermarket operators sell travel products in Europe).
    Forget mobile phone roaming -- buy a prepaid Aldi or Lidl sim card once you get there and calls are as cheap as chips.

Be prepared to experiment and stay in small gasthofs (germany), pensions or if you want brand hotels, the Ibis chain gives good value.
    Enjoy yourself and engage with the locals & eat the local food.

Joe
    Sounds like great advice there. How come lease cars don't have an excess? How hard is it to lease?

Page 130 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast