Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Back in Jan one of the neighbours had his chooks massacred (5 total) by a fox in mid afternoon ....

Since then I have been 'getting even' (rather than getting mad) and have managed to capture 4 of the vermin in 6 weeks of patient work
    Something (fox most likely) dug up a trap last night, so am hopeful after the rain today with nice turkey morsels as an irresistible temptation, fox #5 comes to an end,

Certainly makes it safer for the pair of lyrebirds seen in trees near our house

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Back in Jan one of the neighbours had his chooks massacred (5 total) by a fox in mid afternoon ....

Since then I have been 'getting even' (rather than getting mad) and have managed to capture 4 of the vermin in 6 weeks of patient work
    Something (fox most likely) dug up a trap last night, so am hopeful after the rain today with nice turkey morsels as an irresistible temptation, fox #5 comes to an end,

Joe
    Good work Joe, that's good going, you should be right for fox tail antennas for a while. Next you can start on the cats.

well done, hate the smelly b*stards....agree with steve about the cats!

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Good work Joe, that's good going, you should be right for fox tail antennas for a while. Next you can start on the cats.
    Foxtail antennas?? --- someone is showing their age . - weren't they a thing of the 60's
    What do you attach them to now, as most autos now don't sport a radio antenna unless it's some redneck type who wants their thing to bristle with the biggest and more than a military hummer.

Now regarding the 'feather mouths' ---channel Basil Falwty --- We don't talk about them here, but there could be a 'feline cemetery' in my 'wild woods' area.

Joe
    Success! -- got #5 this morning!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Europe in May/June 2017

Anyone who has been have tips and or places they enjoyed going and why.

Will probably take a coach tour for 2-3 weeks over many countries then spend another couple weeks going back to visit the places we would have liked to spend more time in.
    Was going to let this go until 2018 as wife studying for last 12 months was going to hit the pocket a little.
    But after a good year, hard work and needing a holiday surprised the wife for her 50th.

Off to Europe with a couple months to plan it - 5-6 weeks:cool

Any dos or dont's for those who have been?

Could be something like London, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Austri, Switzerland and relax with about 10 days in Italy.
    Would really like some pointers from those who have been,not necessarily all the big tourist things to see and do but where you can get some good local experiences.

Was going to let this go until 2018 as wife studying for last 12 months was going to hit the pocket a little.
    But after a good year, hard work and needing a holiday surprised the wife for her 50th.

Could be something like London, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Austri, Switzerland and relax with about 10 days in Italy.
    Would really like some pointers from those who have been,not necessarily all the big tourist things to see and do but where you can get some good local experiences.
    Gidday mate, good idea to see Europe before it falls to pieces, I sent you a PM. The tip I have been given is lay out all your clothes and money before you go. Now throw away half the clothes and double the amount of money. Have fun, it's something you gotta do.

Sounds like a very good idea.

How do you plan to get about --- we have found that LEASING a car is a good move, especially if you are going to be there 5-6 weeks. All is pre-arranged in Aust -- look for things on web like Eurodrive or Renault / peugot / Citroen leasing. Much better & cheaper than Avis etc rentals.

Get yourself an ATM card from your bank that is just linked to your bank accounts. Your visa/mastercard with links to your bank a/c will work in Europe, but the atm's there are after simple and don't allow you to select the account, so a cash withdrawal becomes a credit card cash advance. Ouch!
    The simple bank ATM card stops this.

Consider what is an 'open jaw' ticket which means arrival and departure cities are different. Usually costs no more.
    Some airports are more expensive to fly to -- eg Heathrow is one of the most expensive.

Look carefully at what your travel insurance offers -- it might cover all damage (with no excess) on rental (Avis etc) cars so you don't need their very expensive CDW 'insurance'. The insurance that came with my gold mastercard did this and covered 100% the 1000odd pound damage I did to a Hertz car in an 'unfortunate' incident.

If you want some inexpensive & fairly simple accom in London, (but very safe, clean etc), pm me & I will give you the details. Operated by a religious order and about 500m from the London bus station (regional buses), train station and within close walk to Buckingham Palace.

Some things & places. - suggestions
    1. London double deck bus tour
    2. Travel France - UK on the high speed train under the channel.
    You can take car across as well - not that expensive.
    3. Mont Blanc area -- day trip on cablecars to Aguille de midi and then over the glaciers to the Italian border. Allow a whole day.
    4. The huge viaduct bridge at Millau - France. Highest bridge in world.
    5. Cross the alps using Furka or Gothard passes. If you really love 'driving roads', look at the Stevio pass in northern Italy.
    6. Black Forest region in Germany. Interesting also to travel through the corresponding region in France onthe west of the Rhine - Colmar region - real wine growing area.
    7. Visit the Dresden area -- Dresden was 'fire bombed' in ww2 and has been completely restored -- the Frauen church is a magnificent rebuild using the original stones.
    Meissen, the home of the famously expensive Meissen porcelain is near Dresden and their factory tour and museum collection of pieces is magnificent. Meissen was the first maker of porcelain outside of China, as the ancient Chinese held it as a state secret.
    8. Driving on the German autobahns - many of which have no speed limit whatsoever.
    It can be 'pedal to the metal' if you wish!

If you are just 'travelling about', consider staying in simple accom know as 'gasthaus' (like acountry pub) or 'pension' rather than big hotels. These are often in the smaller towns or villages
    At times, it's what you 'stumble across' unplanned is the most interesting.
    Best of all DO enjoy the trip.

Wife is German & has quite a few rellies & friends there & some in Poland & UK so we have had a bit of 'inside info & guidance' at times.

Joe.

Good tips there Joe. I'm planning a trip too, have sent you a PM. I've just booked something in London which is friggen expensive, so I'm really keen to hear from you about that cheap accomodation in London as we may be able to cancel if we are quick enough.

Sounds like a very good idea.

How do you plan to get about --- we have found that LEASING a car is a good move, especially if you are going to be there 5-6 weeks. All is pre-arranged in Aust -- look for things on web like Eurodrive or Renault / peugot / Citroen leasing. Much better & cheaper than Avis etc rentals.

Get yourself an ATM card from your bank that is just linked to your bank accounts. Your visa/mastercard with links to your bank a/c will work in Europe, but the atm's there are after simple and don't allow you to select the account, so a cash withdrawal becomes a credit card cash advance. Ouch!
    The simple bank ATM card stops this.

Consider what is an 'open jaw' ticket which means arrival and departure cities are different. Usually costs no more.
    Some airports are more expensive to fly to -- eg Heathrow is one of the most expensive.

Look carefully at what your travel insurance offers -- it might cover all damage (with no excess) on rental (Avis etc) cars so you don't need their very expensive CDW 'insurance'. The insurance that came with my gold mastercard did this and covered 100% the 1000odd pound damage I did to a Hertz car in an 'unfortunate' incident.

If you want some inexpensive & fairly simple accom in London, (but very safe, clean etc), pm me & I will give you the details. Operated by a religious order and about 500m from the London bus station (regional buses), train station and within close walk to Buckingham Palace.

Some things & places. - suggestions
    1. London double deck bus tour
    2. Travel France - UK on the high speed train under the channel.
    You can take car across as well - not that expensive.
    3. Mont Blanc area -- day trip on cablecars to Aguille de midi and then over the glaciers to the Italian border. Allow a whole day.
    4. The huge viaduct bridge at Millau - France. Highest bridge in world.
    5. Cross the alps using Furka or Gothard passes. If you really love 'driving roads', look at the Stevio pass in northern Italy.
    6. Black Forest region in Germany. Interesting also to travel through the corresponding region in France onthe west of the Rhine - Colmar region - real wine growing area.
    7. Visit the Dresden area -- Dresden was 'fire bombed' in ww2 and has been completely restored -- the Frauen church is a magnificent rebuild using the original stones.
    Meissen, the home of the famously expensive Meissen porcelain is near Dresden and their factory tour and museum collection of pieces is magnificent. Meissen was the first maker of porcelain outside of China, as the ancient Chinese held it as a state secret.
    8. Driving on the German autobahns - many of which have no speed limit whatsoever.
    It can be 'pedal to the metal' if you wish!

If you are just 'travelling about', consider staying in simple accom know as 'gasthaus' (like acountry pub) or 'pension' rather than big hotels. These are often in the smaller towns or villages
    At times, it's what you 'stumble across' unplanned is the most interesting.
    Best of all DO enjoy the trip.

Wife is German & has quite a few rellies & friends there & some in Poland & UK so we have had a bit of 'inside info & guidance' at times.

Joe.
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will do most by rail and then try some small tours - gotta keep the wife happy as she prefers me not to be the guide
    Just need to spend a bit of time on tripadvisor etc and do some research. It can be confusing.

Anyone used www.withlocals.com before?

Wife hates heights so that together with many other things will present quite a challenge through Europe.

Not going to get much change out of 30K at this stage

Can you pm me that London accomodation please?

Hi Joe,

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will do most by rail and then try some small tours - gotta keep the wife happy as she prefers me not to be the guide
    Just need to spend a bit of time on tripadvisor etc and do some research. It can be confusing.

Wife hates heights so that together with many other things will present quite a challenge through Europe.

Will pm you the London info tomorrow.
    If you are planning rail travel, check out the Europass option and compare it to just buying 'walk up' tickets from the vending machine. If you are a senior they can offer some pretty good discounts to travellers but in some cases you have to purchase a 'discount card' first.
    Check out the websites for the Getman DB (deutschbahn) and the French rail SNCF.
    You can purchase tickets online from them and have the e-ticket emailed to you.
    Get on the SNCF email list and they have some pretty cheap trip offerings if you are flexible. I think you can do better by buying direct rather than via the Australian international railtravel website.
    Look at the train timetables online and you will find the trains run often -- eg hourly ICE (high speed) departures between cities, unlike in Aust where you might get one train a day (if lucky).

Also check out the 'coach' option as coach travel was not the most popular in Europe and I think you might find some pretty sharp prices for intercity / long haul (in their scale of things) coach travel.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Haven't used withlocals but not impressed with airbnb. There seems to be a lot of middlemen (websites) out there selling accomodation. Another mob to trust with your personal details. Be aware that planes are usually late and you don't want to be stuck on the street in a foreign country (or Australia even) at night without the key to the room. This is where all night check in is handy. We tried to book two places on airbnb who advertised the nights we wanted but we had to wait a day or two for each of them to tell us it was not available. Not much value in that. I'd prefer to deal direct with the accommodation if possible. I can see how convenient a tour can be and also that I could never be a travel agent, it's very time consuming doing it yourself.

Hi Joe,

The wife made the decision to put back the holiday for another 12 months She wants to some work after finishing study.

It may just make it a little easier to up the $$ and invest a little more in equipment I want to get

BIGGER tractor , JOHN??

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    BIGGER tractor , JOHN??
    No, today it's the Ventrac! Yesterday it was the BCS with a Super Z in very near future. Tomorrow

Page 132 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast