Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

You need to train your dog to be an ant detector Kathryn
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

he's good at snapping at flies.

turned up to one today

a bit of a pita, one of the ones i said 3 weeks max or find someone else

always want to stretch the period, always a bit long

so i finished mowing, and she comes out "can you be cutting down the branch thats fallen on the pool fence"

i said, "yes but . . ."

she interrupts " you will be wanting money to take it away"

i smile and say "AND to cut it DOWN"

she " oh, we can get other lawnmower for $35, but we LIKE YOU" (i charge her $40)

I " go ahead then, but i cant do work for free - theres 4 blokes in the paper doing mowing, and i got 70 customers to keep happy - go for it"

i go look at it, and it takes 1 minute to twist it off the tree and snap it in 3 bits, drop it where it lays

i say "there you go, thats free"

then i explain shes already paying bottom dollar, get another if you want, i dont work for free (the chainsaw needs servicing, the bla bla bla)"

she smiles, and says no prob.

trying it on, she was,

im still smiling about it.

(shes one of the pitas on my list to exchange for better customers)

be strong guys, and stand up for whats right for YOU

3 words . . . and it aint "find someone else" lol

cheers

*giggling like a mud crab*

did 3 lawns today that paid really well, rain then set in - won't be able to mow 'til next week. Went to the local for a beer(s) and won $640 on keno

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    did 3 lawns today that paid really well, rain then set in - won't be able to mow 'til next week. Went to the local for a beer(s) and won $640 on keno
    crikey, who says drinking doesnt pay off !!!

man, thatd be an excuse to finish EVERY day early and go for a beer, wouldnt it?

lucky ducky !!

Well done Redeye! Sure beats working.

I met one of my clients for the first time today. I have been mowing their 4 properties for 18 months and have only ever spoken to them twice on the phone

I turned up to mow the last of their properties this arvo and they were there.

Extremely happy with my service and said their properties have never been so well presented at all times. After that my head was so swelled I didn't hear much more, but I think I might score some house renovation type jobs too in the future.

Nice to get some positive feedback.

Not the right spot but couldnt put it anywhere else.'

Was doing a reguler body corp today, took it over about 2 years ago, but the previous guy still does about 5 backyards.

First time we have both being onsite, well I had a good laugh at how it did them, 2 yards are next to each other, one directly opposite, and one 2 units up, so not far apart.

He does the first place (mow, snip, blow), puts all his gear back in the truck, drives about 10 metres, does that place(mow, snip, blow) , puts gear in trcuck as he finishs each bit, takes out each bit does over the road, puts it all back in truck, drives 10 metres starts again. each job took less than 5 or 10 mins, but really. I would snip all, mow all, than blow all.

Maybe I am wrong, but it waspainful watching.

Yep, that's what I try to tell my off siders. Use your brain and save your energy. I had one guy working for me doing a yard clean up, I was trimming trees so there was branches everywhere. I had him picking up branches and loading them in the ute and trailer. I asked him to get the secateurs out of the ute so he walked over the pile of branches with two empty hands, went to the ute, got the secateurs and walked back. I asked him why he didn't pick up a load of branches first - unload them in the ute then get the secateurs then bring them back to me ? He just looked at me with a blank expression on his face and mumbled something.

I had another guy who would take the snipper out of the ute, walk to the furthest point of the yard (the backyard corner) and then start. I asked him why he did that and not start out the front right near the ute, he said it was because he was left handed. WTF does being left handed have to do with anything !!! He would get about half way through the job then run out of petrol, then walk back to the ute fill the tank (and usually overfill and waste some) and have problems trying to restart the machine. Then he would run out of string and go back to the ute to get more. I don't know how many times I told him "Check your fuel !! Make sure you have a pre-cut roll of string in your pocket!! "

This job is not rocket science or brain surgery but a bit of thought and common sense goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    Not the right spot but couldnt put it anywhere else.'

Was doing a reguler body corp today, took it over about 2 years ago, but the previous guy still does about 5 backyards.

First time we have both being onsite, well I had a good laugh at how it did them, 2 yards are next to each other, one directly opposite, and one 2 units up, so not far apart.

He does the first place (mow, snip, blow), puts all his gear back in the truck, drives about 10 metres, does that place(mow, snip, blow) , puts gear in trcuck as he finishs each bit, takes out each bit does over the road, puts it all back in truck, drives 10 metres starts again. each job took less than 5 or 10 mins, but really. I would snip all, mow all, than blow all.

Maybe I am wrong, but it waspainful watching.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

gcs damned right, you gotta work smart

i never leave the ute without a pocket full of string

me and the wife cut up half a roll into the right size pieces then wrap a bit of masking tape round it. i have a bagfull of those in the snipper box. grab a couple each time i get the snipper out.

personally i always carry the snipper, blower and safety gear into the backyard before i start (then its not unattended in the ute, or in the front, then i mow the edge, and leave the mower in the back yard.

then i use the snipper and blower, then leave it in the backyard.

when finished mowing i grab the snipper and blower, blow my way out then throw the snip and blow in the tray so i dont have to pack it up each job (but i keep an eye on where it is)

cheers

Exactly, that is what I call a "Wasted Walk" (see lawnie lingo) there is a lot of walking in this job to start with so whenever I walk anywhere I stop and think "What do I need when I get there ? what is the next tool that I will need ? if I'm heading back to the ute what else can I take with me ? If I'm push mowing and catching (which I don't do much of these days) where am I going to dump the grass ? I'm walking past the dump spot now so should I empty the catcher now even though it isn't completely full and not have to walk all the way back here with a full catcher ? Should I move the wheel barrow or bin to a better location so I don't have to walk as far ?

When w-snipping work in a circle and aim to get back to the spot where you started (i.e going around a building or fence line) if there is a tree or whatever close to the edge that you are doing, stop go over and do the tree / clothesline / letter box etc then walk back to where you were before and continue. I've seen guys do the fenceline of the back yard then do the front yard, start mowing then realise that they missed some trees and garden beds then go back, get the snipper and trim the areas that they missed, continue mowing then go and get the blower.
    MADNESS !!

Mowing for a living compared to mowing you're own lawn is completely different. If you spend all day mowing your own lawn and do a crappy job it doesn't matter, but if you mow for a living and take all day to do one job and still do a crappy job you won't be in business for long.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    gcs damned right, you gotta work smart

i never leave the ute without a pocket full of string

me and the wife cut up half a roll into the right size pieces then wrap a bit of masking tape round it. i have a bagfull of those in the snipper box. grab a couple each time i get the snipper out.

personally i always carry the snipper, blower and safety gear into the backyard before i start (then its not unattended in the ute, or in the front, then i mow the edge, and leave the mower in the back yard.

then i use the snipper and blower, then leave it in the backyard.

when finished mowing i grab the snipper and blower, blow my way out then throw the snip and blow in the tray so i dont have to pack it up each job (but i keep an eye on where it is)

cheers

today i mowed a feral yard that involved a littleubbish removal. the guy sais that if i could find anyonethat wanted theinflatable pool to just give it them, pump and all. so we now have a 15 ft pool filling in the back yard. other half is out buying the chlorine right now

good score Kathryn!!

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Gotta love finds like this
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Are you filling it with flood water ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    today i mowed a feral yard that involved a littleubbish removal. the guy sais that if i could find anyonethat wanted theinflatable pool to just give it them, pump and all. so we now have a 15 ft pool filling in the back yard. other half is out buying the chlorine right now

Received a call today.
    Hello, This is Shirley from Fairford Tce
    Oh hello Shirley
    I'm not happy with the way you are cutting my lawns, they're too long, and your blowing all the dust and dirt under my door
    Oh okay
    I won't me home next Tuesday, so can you come on Wednesday morning
    Sure, also, i've just put my prices up $5, so now it's $40 a cut
    Pause
    I ring to complain about the way you do my lawns and you put the price up. Sorry but i'll find someone else to do my lawns
    Okay thank you goodbye
    Now i have to point out, she hasn't been a customer of mine since November, when she got rid of me for increasing my prices... Obviously hasn't updated the number in her phone. Had a smile on my face for a few hours Do feel a bit guilty about getting her lawn guy sacked though

Page 28 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast