Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Default Re: Things that make HAPPY ''''''

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I dont volunteer until I get pizzed off watching idiots with tongs! I cant stand it! Turn a steak 10 times! Fools I say!

http://youtu.be/tSdhZmPqv-Q

How do you inbed YT thingy's in here?

Mick
    I have always been of the turn once school and give it a good rest before serving and have always had great results,that and putting the things on at room temp.
    Seen this on telly the other night and might give it a try just to see how it goes though the emphasis is still on resting the steak

"I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Great vid and he is the man but in the real world, its not that easy! Age a steak for 3 days in the fridge? That takes planning! Getting a steak to room temp for several hours is opening yaself up for food poisoning with the temps we get but sure, resting the steak is (usually) a given.
    Turing a steak every 15 secs, not gonna happen! Im a turn once advocate!

Ive tried a heap of ways to cook a steak...
    Just under a grill. Heat brings juice to the top but then soaks back in.
    Hot pan to caramelise then under med heat grill.
    Hot pan then in oven. Best done with thicker steaks.
    On the bbq, high heat grill to make marks then put at other end of bbq for indirect cooking. Similar to above.
    Marinating steak in very course salt for about 20mins, wash well then cook. Can obviously be salty but if done right the salt tenderises and not as salty as you may think. Can make cr@p meat eatable!

All that said, and I agree, resting is critical in a good steak!

But, at the end of the day, if you buy a rubbish steak, its probably going to be rubbish to eat! It can be hit and miss!
    Ive paid top dollar for steak from a butcher and its been tough as a boot. Ive bought cheap stuff from Coles and its been great!

I was at a friends place a few weeks ago. He buys THE BEST meat he can find, drives distance etc. I took a steak up to his place, cooked it and it was awesome. He asked where I got it from. My miss's got it from Wollies! haaa On special! He was no happy, but impressed at how tender and juicy it was!

I used to be able to get rump steak that had been aged for, I can't remember exactly but may of been 6weeks or so. That was some good steak, and cheap at the time!

Great vid and he is the man but in the real world, its not that easy! Age a steak for 3 days in the fridge? That takes planning! Getting a steak to room temp for several hours is opening yaself up for food poisoning with the temps we get but sure, resting the steak is (usually) a given.

On the bbq, high heat grill to make marks then put at other end of bbq for indirect cooking. Similar to above.
    Marinating steak in very course salt for about 20mins, wash well then cook. Can obviously be salty but if done right the salt tenderises and not as salty as you may think. Can make cr@p meat eatable!

But, at the end of the day, if you buy a rubbish steak, its probably going to be rubbish to eat! It can be hit and miss!
    Ive paid top dollar for steak from a butcher and its been tough as a boot. Ive bought cheap stuff from Coles and its been great!

I was at a friends place a few weeks ago. He buys THE BEST meat he can find, drives distance etc. I took a steak up to his place, cooked it and it was awesome. He asked where I got it from. My miss's got it from Wollies! haaa On special! He was no happy, but impressed at how tender and juicy it was!

I used to be able to get rump steak that had been aged for, I can't remember exactly but may of been 6weeks or so. That was some good steak, and cheap at the time!
    Hey Mick, wanna come to a Barby in a few weeks???? U might be just the man we need!
    Proly a little too far just to chew the fat!

Mick you are spot on ...I like to use the webber for searing on direct and then cook indirect ..usually reserve that process for rib eye....the other thing i like to do is grill then turn 90 deg turn over and repeat thus getting a criss cross of the grill ans like you say rest which i use a cake rake with loosly covered foil , this stops it sweating and continues to cook

Steak for dinner tonight I think!

I do that chris cross pattern thing too. Once blood just starts to appear on top, time to turn over.
    A lot depends on thickness of the meat. Thin is a quick grill. Thick, say 1"+ and its the indirect method.

Once blood just starts to appear on top, time to turn over.
    This is my way too. I crank up the barbie so it's really hot, and turn it down to low once the meat goes on. Once the blood comes through I turn it and give it another 10 minutes or so and that is it. Always nice and tender. I do the same with marinated chicken breast but turn it a little more. Slow cooking is the secret to tender meat.
    Lately I have been doing a greek style marinade with my steak which is olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Beautiful!

I said I'd do a steak...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, the process! Gotta love it!

Last one! Was pretty damn good I gotta say!
    Steak was a tad over an inch thick.
    Rested at room temp for 2hrs before cooking. Few mins each chris cross as hot as bbq would get, indirect for 15 mins then rested lightly covered on cake rack for 15mins.

Oh, its sitting on that vege sh!t for the light!

wow, id have to put that back on the bbq for another 10 mins - im an animal, i like it burnt - yes ACTUALLY burnt

have to ask for VERY WELL DONE in restaurants, even then it sometimes comes out too pink in the middle.

cant stand blood in the meat,

but to each his own,

cheers

It cooked all up for about 22mins! It was cooked, not blue by any means. Bugger all blood as seen on the plate!
    Why buy a nice steak and then cook the cr@p out of it? May as well squeeze some mince together and put it on a roll!

Thats just right Mick,a little horseradish and it's good to go. I reckon the criss cross is like the grooming flap on a mower,does **** all but some of us like it

Happy
    May I suggest you stick to chicken
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    wow, id have to put that back on the bbq for another 10 mins - im an animal, i like it burnt - yes ACTUALLY burnt

have to ask for VERY WELL DONE in restaurants, even then it sometimes comes out too pink in the middle.

cant stand blood in the meat,

but to each his own,

cheers
    Im with you Happy I like my meat well well well done..
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Excluding Courty, your both barbarians! No taste or style! Pffft! Go eat rissoles ya freaks!

Don't you watch those cooking shows your sposed to wipe the plate it's all in the presentation. Last week I had a nice steak at Tugun surf club and a tough steak at Currumbin surf club but the veiw made up for it

Page 37 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144 LastLast