Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multi Tools...which one

Default Multi Tools...which one

Peoples............Im in the market for a new Multi Tool so Id like some feed back from you lot out there..
    Im after the whole package eg...hedge trimmer attachment, pole pruner, whip snipper, and maybe extar extension pole.
    I have Shindaiwa brushcutter and hedge Trimmer whichf have never missed a beat so thought the Shindaiwa Multi tool would be the go but the feedback Im getting from some of the local mower shops isnt great re the Shindaiwa...Great equipmet but the back up service etc...(eg parts etc) from the suppliers seems to have dropped off dramatically to the point where the mower shops wont carry the equipmet any longer.
    The Sthill Multi tool seems to be popular but looks a bit pricey.
    Anyway...Id like some feedback about whatever you are using..
    Thanks again
    Mark

Default Re: Multi Tools...which one

I use the Makita RBC2510, have the hedge trimmer attachment and the polesaw attachment very happy with it. Come to the demo day next Thursday they will be on special.

Cheers
    Alex

Not sure why your having trouble with parts?
    We have heaps of Shindaiwa multi's & r generally quite happy.
    Not saying Shindaiwas r the best, does,nt matter what brand u have, in time things will wear.
    Havent seen a cheap, quality multi tool yet, but if the makita turns out to be good long term prop, the price is looking good at the moment.
    Cheers Fred.

We have 2 Shindy Multi's are are quite happy with them

Very Helpful Member

i have the shindy multi and brushcutter i haven't had a problem with parts but then i order most parts fro the u.s which is another advantage of shindy the u.s places have parts at about 1/2 the price of buying them here
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Same here I have a Shindaiwa multi tool snipper and artic hedge trimer and it is great. I have given it absolute hell and it keeps on going.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Hi Elitemow,ive only had experience with the Husquvarna combi units and cant give them a good rap unfortunately,ive got the power head unit,the hedge trimmer,the polesaw,the edger and the whipper snipper head.
    But the Husky has packed it in,just 6 months old,so called mower shop where i bought it wanted nothing to do with it,wouldnt cover it under warranty,hasnt done that much work,the Husky is very poorly made in my opinion with the driveshaft merely held in place with a circlip,not in a groove or anything just on the shaft,as it gets a bit of end play in the shaft it gets looser in the clutch hub and flogs out the square drive on the driveshaft,easily avoided if a goove was there for the circlip to seat in.Alleged mechanic in shop told me that you can only expect to get around 20 hours use out of them,at over $1000 for the unit and attatchments i expected a lot better.Got a Husky blower which is really good and my saw is a Husky which isnt too bad,but the split shaft combi unit is rubbish in my opinion,would definately consider the other brands first.,cheers mick
    "If you grab a wildcat by the tail,you will learn things that can be taught in no other way"...Mark Twain.

I know exactly how you feel Blueline. I had massive issues with mine until it packed it in very early in it's life. I also had no help from the dealer whom I had spent over $5000 with in the previous 12 months at the time, so I switched dealer after that.

Because you have the attachments, if you want another machine for it you can undo the actual head off the shaft with an allen key and slip it on the 27cc kawasaki whip. It fits straight on. I think I paid around $500 for mine but at least I was able to make use of my artic hedger and saw attachment. It gives you a backup whip as well.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Hi Elitemow,ive only had experience with the Husquvarna combi units and cant give them a good rap unfortunately,ive got the power head unit,the hedge trimmer,the polesaw,the edger and the whipper snipper head.
    But the Husky has packed it in,just 6 months old,so called mower shop where i bought it wanted nothing to do with it,wouldnt cover it under warranty,hasnt done that much work,the Husky is very poorly made in my opinion with the driveshaft merely held in place with a circlip,not in a groove or anything just on the shaft,as it gets a bit of end play in the shaft it gets looser in the clutch hub and flogs out the square drive on the driveshaft,easily avoided if a goove was there for the circlip to seat in.Alleged mechanic in shop told me that you can only expect to get around 20 hours use out of them,at over $1000 for the unit and attatchments i expected a lot better.Got a Husky blower which is really good and my saw is a Husky which isnt too bad,but the split shaft combi unit is rubbish in my opinion,would definately consider the other brands first.,cheers mick
    i would suggest bypassing the dealer and ring the distributor if they won't help try ringing consumer affairs/fair trading as it sounds to me they are selling a product that is unfit for the purpose it's sold for
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

shindy artic hedge and 20mm pole lol. also have the pole chainsaw for it. little ripper, starts every time (the 4 stroke that takes 2 stroke fuel)

"its a bloody bewdy"

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    shindy artic hedge and 20mm pole lol. also have the pole chainsaw for it. little ripper, starts every time (the 4 stroke that takes 2 stroke fuel)

"its a bloody bewdy"
    Happy, do u have a C4?
    Cheers Fred.

Hi Stripes,sorry to hear i am not the only one,my powerhead runs fine its just the clutch hub and the square end on the drive shaft that buggered up,they quoted me nearly $300 worth of parts to fix it plus their labour,no thanks.I have a pretty well equipped workshop here and was able to machine up a collar for the shaft and shrink and reform the clutch flange to get it work again,but i still think it is a design that is flawed,and i would hate to see anyone else fork out there hard earned for this poorly designed and made piece of equipment.
    Ian i did contact Husqvarna direct ,but they said they had to go on the word of their dealer(the kid who handed me back the box of bits was all of 17 and just said its stuffed mate),who said it must have done heaps and heaps of work,i know it would be lucky to have done maybe 30 hours all up.The problem is the design of the shaft retention in the clutch hub alowing too much endfloat,but what would i know i am just a lawnie.Husqvarna said because i use it commercially they wouldnt cover it under warranty,funny they had no problem selling it to me and the receipt is made out in the business name,i remember the salesman teling me that these are great for guys like us as you dont need so much gear in the truck,doesnt sound like a domestic sales pitch to me??
    Any way i am over it now and will seriously consider the shindy unit ,i like the artic hedge trimmer piece,very nice.cheers mick
    "If you grab a wildcat by the tail,you will learn things that can be taught in no other way"...Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Hi Stripes,sorry to hear i am not the only one,my powerhead runs fine its just the clutch hub and the square end on the drive shaft that buggered up,they quoted me nearly $300 worth of parts to fix it plus their labour,no thanks.I have a pretty well equipped workshop here and was able to machine up a collar for the shaft and shrink and reform the clutch flange to get it work again,but i still think it is a design that is flawed,and i would hate to see anyone else fork out there hard earned for this poorly designed and made piece of equipment.
    Ian i did contact Husqvarna direct ,but they said they had to go on the word of their dealer(the kid who handed me back the box of bits was all of 17 and just said its stuffed mate),who said it must have done heaps and heaps of work,i know it would be lucky to have done maybe 30 hours all up.The problem is the design of the shaft retention in the clutch hub alowing too much endfloat,but what would i know i am just a lawnie.Husqvarna said because i use it commercially they wouldnt cover it under warranty,funny they had no problem selling it to me and the receipt is made out in the business name,i remember the salesman teling me that these are great for guys like us as you dont need so much gear in the truck,doesnt sound like a domestic sales pitch to me??
    Any way i am over it now and will seriously consider the shindy unit ,i like the artic hedge trimmer piece,very nice.cheers mick
    Based on a couple of comments here I doubt if I will even look at any Husqvarna gear again if that is their attitude. Pity as the c/saw I have is good - but there are others just as good so I will go with a company who will service me as expected - WARRANTY INCLUDED!!!

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Based on a couple of comments here I doubt if I will even look at any Husqvarna gear again if that is their attitude. Pity as the c/saw I have is good - but there are others just as good so I will go with a company who will service me as expected - WARRANTY INCLUDED!!!
    funny my ozito chainsaw starts easier than my husky

I was very disappointed with mine and I was charged $190 to have it 'fixed' for the 4th time when it should have been under warranty. They blamed it on me after it had already been back there a few times. It just refused to start, or when it did start it would just cut out and not start again and I would spend 40 or so frustrated minutes trying to get it going again so I could finish off the hedge I was halfway through trimming.

It was something to do with the ignition? I'm no mechanic but I knew it was something along those lines as it would be as if you hit the 'off' switch, but after checking all the wiring it wasn't that. Because I tried to fix it myself by checking the wiring (kind of had to try something seeing I was halfway through the hedge at a job an hour from home), it gave them an out and said it voided the warranty. I blew up and told them they knew it has been a lemon as it had already been back numerous times, but they just said I shouldn't have tried to fix it. I never bought anything else off that dealer, and I never bought another Huski product.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast