Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Tachometer for Equipment Tuning

Default Mini Tachometer for Equipment Tuning

I'm trying to buy a small hand held Tacho like the "Tiny Tacho" to ensure my five 4Stroke mowers are at the upper end of their rev range.
    Picked up me new Victa 560 the other day and found today it was running just under 3000 RPM which is tooo slow.
    It's a pain to go back to the dealer and ask for a check and quick adjust.
    So I need to invest in this device ASAP.

Jaycar only have self assemble kits, so they can shove that.
    I have not been to Hella auto shops yet, Alltools thought they could get one as they sell petrol engined machines. But no they could not source one. Dick Smith Super Stores don't have them.

My Mower dealer has a mini palm held tacho that needs no connection to the spark plug. He just holds it close to the front of mower and it reads the RPM (smick gadget).

I will surf the net tomorrow night, but some of the more seasoned blokes or gals here may be able to direct me on the right path sooner.

Having honda mowers at say 3300,3400 or just under 3500-ish RPM is better than having them lower for our use. Realising 3600 is the max recommended.

Thanks,
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Mini Tachometer for Equipment Tuning

Good topic Gazza, keep us posted.
    Cheers Fred.

see my post in "hour meter..." its the size of a matchbox, attach it permanently to the engine or handles & have a tacho & hour meter combined esp for the price, they take about 2 minutes to install

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    see my post in "hour meter..." its the size of a matchbox, attach it permanently to the engine or handles & have a tacho & hour meter combined esp for the price, they take about 2 minutes to install
    Redeye,

Got the PM -thanks.

Just need a portable non connected to any particular mower device, so I can easily check all the mowers and the one ride on at random. Like the dealer does and they don't like telling you how/where to buy one as one would understandably expect.
    Anyhow I will get one when I research it more at later date.
    Cheers Garry

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-L...#ht_2988wt_905

haven't used one but I assume this is what you are looking for. Have the same one as Redeye which also works well.

Chris B,

Thats looking the goods, whilst different to what I saw the mower dealer use. But function and size wise being certaining what one needs -great info Chris.
    $4.25 sounds sus as I'm expecting $70 min. The mower man didn't point any beam that I noticed and I was watching, but then I wasn't expecting him to shot a laser beam either.

I also just had a brain wave too, my brother works in the construction electrical trade. Whilst not the gadget they would get into, but certaining one you would expect they could order and obtain his discount.

I will give him a ring tomorrow and give him his new assignment.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-L...#ht_2988wt_905

haven't used one but I assume this is what you are looking for. Have the same one as Redeye which also works well.
    Hustler used something similar to check my drive wheels are the same speed as it wasnt driving straight.
    It counts revolutions or something.
    They paint a smallish white dot on the tire to reflect the beam back.
    Theoretically, you could do the same on a blade but I dont think it is a true Tacho measuring current.

not suss.. just straight from china gotta love eBay... sure it would do the job

i think you stick a reflective sticker onto the rotating mesh screen on top of the motor and it measures by laser reflection (probably only see the laser on the actual spinning object not a bright red line through the air)

Chris, It's certainly cheap then and as I said looks the goods.

The dealer today held his device near the front of the honda motor level with the muffler (GCV190). But between the muffler and the air intake on the other side well below the engine cowl at the front. I'll swear he pointed no beam, just held the black device that was a smidge smaller than a packet of smokes.
    Cheers Garry

More info,
    The tacho's with the infra red beam are used for measurement of moving objects like R/C aeroplanes or boat props.
    The one I'm after measures the electromagnetic field close to the spark plug.
    Went into the Hobby shop yesterday and they told me so and said what your after is sold at the Go Kart shop. Our town has a sizable Go Kart population and a major race track facility. So not having seen the shop I would expect them to have it at least be able to order one.
    Cheers Garry

Hey Gazza. I got this one. Work as a contact or non contact device. Seems to work ok so far.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Jason,

That looks the goods -thanks.
    Cheers Garry

I know it has been said with some machines to move the spring to a different hole to up the revs but is there a more accurate way?

Some bloke posted a video about it a while back. There's a screw you need to wind out a bit. But if you want your motor to last I wouldn't go too fast. I have mine at about 3200 now without moving the spring. That's good enough for mulching and catching at the moment. But will see what happens come spring.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

The GXV has a screw partially hiden by the screwed on protective side plate that adjusts RPM.
    The GCV has no screw as you to adjust by the spring hole location and if you are on the max hole and say sitting at 3100 you drill a new hole with a sharp drill carefully.

My new 560 mulchmaster was taken back to the shop as I wanted to know the RPM (forgot to check when picking it up).
    It was sitting at 2950 and the dealer showed me that there is no screw on the GCV and put the spring to the next and only other hole. It returned 3210 rpm which is good.
    Cheers Garry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast