Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need to vent my frustration !!!

Default Re: I need to vent my frustration !!!

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    lol, now you mention it, i feel sorry for the offsider, imagine working full time with hundreds of eyes watrching you every day - hey sonny, you missed a spot there, dont sit down on the job, sonny, back when I was a lad . . . lolol.
    Exactly right! Little old ladies are not always nice! Some of them can be really nasty if they don't like you.

that sounds like hell.

Thanks guys.
    I don't blame my employee for leaving, i mean he's young and $100 more a week is a lot at his age, that's over $5,000 a year. There's no loyalty in these young whipper snapper's these days anyway
    It's the ex client i can't believe. The fact they rang was fair enough to enquire as to whether i still employed him, but when i said yes and don't you dare contact him is what i can't believe.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Here's a story for you;

I was appointed by a retirement village in December last year to mow their lawns every week year round. Great job, was my 2nd biggest client.

April this year they get rid of us - budget issues and they are going to hire another full-time gardener, they already have one there.

Last week get a phone call from them - are you still employing ".....", my full-time worker. Me - yes i am, why. Them - if you weren't we where going to approach him about offering him a job. Me - well don't contact him, he is still working for me and has been for 3 years now.

Monday this week my full-time worker says to me that he was approached by this former client for a job, he accepted it as they are paying him $100 more a week than me and i pay above award rates.

Can you believe the ethics of this former client ? Incredible.
    Happens every second of the working hour, more in sales though than service.....

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I don't blame my employee for leaving, i mean he's young and $100 more a week is a lot at his age, that's over $5,000 a year. There's no loyalty in these young whipper snapper's these days anyway
    It's the ex client i can't believe. The fact they rang was fair enough to enquire as to whether i still employed him, but when i said yes and don't you dare contact him is what i can't believe.
    so what you should have said was no i fired him for theft and exposing himself to clients
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    so what you should have said was no i fired him for theft and exposing himself to clients
    lol, yeah thats the one !!!

lol

i may of missed something ... but how did they get his number?

Quote Originally Posted by MAGOO View Post
    nan gave it to them

Quote Originally Posted by MAGOO View Post
    He became good mates with the gardener there as they are of similar age and similar interests. He had it.

I would put a note in all the residents letterboxes outlining whats happened and how despicable and unAustralian it was,that will stir up the oldies a bit,,the top oldies might cop a lot of flak from some others,,might teach them a lesson.

That your employee was also good mates with the gardener makes it sounds incredibly like he had a lot to do with the deal.
    Whatever, whats done is done and all you can do is wish them luck in their venture and be seen as the decent bloke who was railroaded by a ****ty management and two dickwit gardeners who most probably will be done over next finacial year by someone cheaper.
    Regards,
    Dean

Offer your former employee more money to come back then lay him off in a couple months time

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
    Offer your former employee more money to come back then lay him off in a couple months time
    now that's just not right it would be totally the wrong thing to do let them pay him over winter then re-hire for the busy period then lay him off
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I think some are being a bit harsh on the young guy. An extra $5000/yr for working a steady job, steady hours at same location, etc etc. I really cant blame the guy. I blame the person who poached him.
    I just hope that they dont let him go after a few mths and leave him with nothing. If they do, it may teach the kid a lesson in loyalty. But still, $5000 extra for a 21yr old, that aint chump change!

You're right Mick. People change jobs all the time for more money. That'd buy the kid a new car or pay for a holiday or help him start saving a deposit for a house in the future.

Poaching happens all the time too. If an employer sees someone they think is a good worker and would be an asset to their business, they'll make an offer - everyone wants to improve their business. I was poached many years ago by a work colleague's spouse who offered me a significant increase in pay and 18 years later I still work in the same industry. (Different employer now).

I think wishing the poor kid misfortune is more unaustralian than wishing to improve your personal position by taking a better paying job. Just my opinion.
    ~ Joanne ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast