Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need to vent my frustration !!!

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: I need to vent my frustration !!!

i don't blame the guy either nor do i think poaching a worker is wrong the wrong was in the company ringing Matt and saying if he wasn't working for you we would have offered him a job and then still offering him one if they were going to poach him they should have just made the offer and not lied about it
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

There was no real loyalty there so as I said before Matt is probably better off without him. Maybe what he should have done was go to Matt and tell him they had offered him the job and gave him an opportunity to match the offer before jumping ship. I tend to think he was a little bit implicit in the job offer if you read between the lines. I guess our industry is a hard one to get good workers who will last the distance. You either accept it or work alone I guess
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Head hunting goes on in every industry. Unfortunately for employers at the end of the day that's what they are, an employer. The employee is going to look after him/her self if the opportunity arises.

m287j, did u ever consider matching their offer?
    $100 a week equates to $2.50/hr over a 40hr week.
    I know it sounds a bit, but the cost of finding, training & retaining a gooden 4 a reasonable time is considerable.
    Looking back, we've had quite a few whom Id have happily payed that sort of extra coin to retain.
    When u get a gooden, ya wanna hang on to them (within reason).
    We r once again in the process of looking 4 the right one.
    Anyone know a keen young bloke in Melb S/east looking to get into this industry, that can keep paqce with an old fart?
    Ooooops, sorry 4 thread hijack.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Head hunting goes on in every industry. Unfortunately for employers at the end of the day that's what they are, an employer. The employee is going to look after him/her self if the opportunity arises.
    Tried to head hunt a young dude at the local Dan Murphy.
    Freakishly tall, 6'11&3/4", thought he'd be suited to all the hedges we do.
    Was'nt interested.Oh well, was wondering how I'd squeeze him into the truck anyhow?
    Cheers Fred.

I would have offered him $40 more a week that's all. He was already paid above award rates as it was.
    Another $100 a week, plus another $10 in super and more in workers comp ends up being about $125 a week more to me.
    I couldn't afford to pay him that much.

He finished up today and we are still on good terms, i hold nothing against him just the damm ex client for doing something i explicitidly asked them not to, or if they had to don;t ring me first and ask about his employment status.
    My ex-employee will probably do some Saturday work for me through Spring and Summer anyway, he said he is keen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    m287j, did u ever consider matching their offer?
    $100 a week equates to $2.50/hr over a 40hr week.
    I know it sounds a bit, but the cost of finding, training & retaining a gooden 4 a reasonable time is considerable.
    Looking back, we've had quite a few whom Id have happily payed that sort of extra coin to retain.
    When u get a gooden, ya wanna hang on to them (within reason).
    We r once again in the process of looking 4 the right one.
    Anyone know a keen young bloke in Melb S/east looking to get into this industry, that can keep paqce with an old fart?
    Ooooops, sorry 4 thread hijack.
    Cheers Fred.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123