Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spring mowing cycles

Default spring mowing cycles

With last years heavy summer mowing and the probability of a heavy spring this year in Melbourne what is the cycle you guys do?
    2 weekly?? I am thinking it may go to 10 days if it gets heavy - I know it can complicate the days most people expect it done and make your schedule different to the usual but has anyone else thought of it or do it??

Default Re: spring mowing cycles

Most lawns here I could easily do weekly if the client would pay for it. Sadly, fortnightly is about as frequent as most will cough up for.

I'd love to go 10 day cycles and even weekly in peak growing period, but the owners wouldn't cop weekly, so I'll aim for 10 day. Presently doing fortnightly.
    Most of my lawns are holiday rental chalets, and the peak tourist season is winter time, so the owners just want bare maintenance over summer when they have little income.

If I could do weekly I could mulch the clippings and the properties would look schmick all the time. There is no waste disposal facility nearby so at present I have to leave the clippings where they fall.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    With last years heavy summer mowing and the probability of a heavy spring this year in Melbourne what is the cycle you guys do?
    2 weekly?? I am thinking it may go to 10 days if it gets heavy - I know it can complicate the days most people expect it done and make your schedule different to the usual but has anyone else thought of it or do it??
    From experience a few years back the contractor dictated the frequency of visits, now the trend is entirely up to the client. Bottom line is affordability. I wouldnt want a contractor on board every week, just to much on the hip pocket with the way of life...

Mind you 65% of my clientle are happy with 2 weekly visits. I am happy with that. See you on your ride on Johhny boy...

I just dont see how anyone can work a 10 day cycle unless you want to work 7days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I just dont see how anyone can work a 10 day cycle unless you want to work 7days a week.
    10 working day cycle perhaps
    Archer's Yard Maintenance
    Toowoomba, Qld
    Archer's Yard Maintenance on Facebook

Monday+10 days = Thursday.
    Thurs+10=Sunday.
    Sun+10=Wed
    Wed+10=Saturday
    Sat+10=Tues
    Tues+10=Friday

What happens to the other customers you have on "that" day? I can see serious knock on effect!

It is a good question but i don't think 10 days would work. Maybe a way around it with a more abundant spring likely is to set the maximum height of grass you will do for a set price and then charge an hourly rate if it is over that. I do that now and most of my customers don't quibble on it.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    It is a good question but i don't think 10 days would work. Maybe a way around it with a more abundant spring likely is to set the maximum height of grass you will do for a set price and then charge an hourly rate if it is over that. I do that now and most of my customers don't quibble on it.
    Bluey I do hear what you are saying when the grass is growing quickly but what happens in the slow times....do you drive on if it doesnt need mowing or do you just mow , even if it doesnt need it ???? my theory for what its worth is what comes around goes around....most customers two week cycle or some three all year round , so at the moment its a breeze but spring time its harder of course but if a customer says in the winter can we leave it this time, i say fine but we may have to adjust to a higher fee in spring , they then realise the "what comes around goes around theory "

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Mick i agree, when you have a full books its difficult to keep up with simple two or three weekers and some weekly let alone trying to adjust to 10 days,and when does the ten day get readjusted when the summer winds come .....
    Maybe John you should try weekly at a discounted price maybe ????

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Bluey I do hear what you are saying when the grass is growing quickly but what happens in the slow times....do you drive on if it doesnt need mowing or do you just mow , even if it doesnt need it ???? my theory for what its worth is what comes around goes around....most customers two week cycle or some three all year round , so at the moment its a breeze but spring time its harder of course but if a customer says in the winter can we leave it this time, i say fine but we may have to adjust to a higher fee in spring , they then realise the "what comes around goes around theory "
    In winter time if it is not growing I will push the client back. I have told all my clients this. I don't think it is right to mow them if they don't need it. I try to keep most of my clients on 2 weekly when it is growing but a few are on 3 while I have a small few on weekly. In winter these become 2, 3 and 4 weekly. If it grows a bit longer when I push it back I wear it. It is during the growing season where you really need too stay on top of it. If it is my fault it has not been cut I wear it but if it isn't then I charge extra.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

This Is not a bad idea an one I may push onto some of my clients. Has anyone done it and what % discount do you give
    Cheers

Bluey

Mick i agree, when you have a full books its difficult to keep up with simple two or three weekers and some weekly let alone trying to adjust to 10 days,and when does the ten day get readjusted when the summer winds come .....
    10 days was an example guys!!!
    It would say: Next mow approx 10-11 days mon/tues 22/11
    I can easily work out my weeks work from excel and adjust accordingly!
    So the question still remains - do any of you guys do something like this????

Bluey you probably would not discount that much as your time during the growing season is gold and therefore you really want to achieve your hourly rate....( contradicting myself now lol )
    What you need to do is encourage the client to have that neat appearance by weekly visits , there will be some though that dont care and wouldnt do it

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    10 days was an example guys!!!
    It would say: Next mow approx 10-11 days mon/tues 22/11
    I can easily work out my weeks work from excel and adjust accordingly!
    So the question still remains - do any of you guys do something like this????
    easy John just giving some of my thoughts there ol chap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast