Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spring mowing cycles

Default Re: spring mowing cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    10 days was an example guys!!!
    It would say: Next mow approx 10-11 days mon/tues 22/11
    I can easily work out my weeks work from excel and adjust accordingly!
    So the question still remains - do any of you guys do something like this????
    No I don't John. I find a lot of clients like to know you will come on such and such a day and prepare for it. Those that have locked gates would be come a real pain as you would have to ring them every time to make sure they opened them for you. I hate locked gates but that's another story.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Just charge enough for the 2 weekly visits and be done with it, unless all your jobs r in the same area it would muck up your round for a start. Good if its commercial and worth good dollars but for a $45 domestic is it worth the hassle? And i wouldn't discount for weekly at that time of the year but thats just me.

Dont think that would work 4 me.
    Scheduling would be very difficult.
    Even now we have a customer on weekly mow, but thats their call. They r prepared to pay 4 a high standard. Mowing a lawn does'nt necessarily mean just cutting grass, the mower also acts as a vacuum, we also make sure the paths r blown spotless.
    I personally dont think its great value 4 money, but thats THEIR call!
    Im quite prepared to alter the schedule to a little less frequent if thats what they want during the winter months, but not without reasonable notice.
    I could'nt run a business without proper scheduling, it would throw everything out of kilter.
    If iI turned up to someones place that was reguarly booked who said, "not today thanks", I would explain my position politeley BUT firmly.
    Cheers Fred.

Very Helpful Member

i have had some where i did friday one week then the week after was tuesday/wednesday then the next week was a friday again it was workable but when things slowed down a bit it was easier to put them back to 2 weekly
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

For me it's all up to the client, they pay for the job they want. But I also strongly advise them that summer will be 2 weeks max and if it is raining regularly that it may came down to weekly. Conversly in winter it will blow to 3 weeks and this winter some are being done 4 and 5 weekly as the grass has all but stopped gowing due to the cooler weather and no rain. I make sure that I have them understand that I schedule work so that a) they have a yard that looks good most of the time and they can be proud of, b) that I am not there to rip them off but want them to be a long term client and c) that they must bear in mind that this is a two way street and undertand the load and extra work that heavy growth puts on the job.

If they object then the rate I set reflects my expectation of heavier work. For instance I have one job that they want done 3 weekly because it suits thier weekend off and they get charged around 20 - 25% more then a more compliant client with a similar yard gets charged. I know that the yard would look a lot better if it is mowed more regularly but they don't care, they just want it mowed before their weekend off. I also ahve clients that want their yard mowed weekly all year round. They want a lawn that they are exceptionally proud of and I do it. This winter when it has slowed I still turn up every week, but between us we have agreed that I do a little gardening or something instead of a mow every week. I have a regular income and they are very happy to have a lawnie that they know turns up every week and keeps the yard looking exactly how they want it.

I just work on being flexible. They work gets done either way but you pay for what you get. That is a happy lawnie who has clients who work with him and understand that he wants to do the job the best way he can or they pay for a job done their way. They don't don't want either then there is always the classifieds.

As far as scheduling is concerned, I use gopher. While it isn't perfect it is very easy to use and manipulate mowing days. I don't use it for invoicing or accounting just scheduling. I am sure their are other packages around that are as easy but it is the one I picked up and is realtively cheap. The more I use it the better I understand it and have it work better for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12