Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw - Bar and Chain Care

Default Chainsaw - Bar and Chain Care

Have been doing a bit of Googling tonight looking for options for new bar and chain for my saw and came across this good video on one of the Stihl USA pages.

Gives a good rundown on chain and bar care. Might be handy to watch for any newbies or anyone who needs a refresher course. (Set me straight on a few things I wasn't sure about).

http://stihldealer.net/videolibrary/...vt=3&vb=0&id=3

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: Chainsaw - Bar and Chain Care

Best tip I can give is don't let the chain hit dirt will make it blunt quicker than you could fart.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

when cutting this palm last week there was a steel bar that must have been there to hold it up when small and any way didnt see it saw sparks come out stoped and thought hmm thats not right any way chain now stuffed.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

just be sure to always pull your saws apart and clean with air and lube after cutting palms the sawdust and sap out of palms will eat your saws out fast chains and bars are cheap when it comes to saw rebuild

that is so time consuming. i would rather pay the little it costs to have it professionally sharpened. or, we are getting the new oregon powersharp chains. too easy to sharpen.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grassman177 View Post
    that is so time consuming. i would rather pay the little it costs to have it professionally sharpened. or, we are getting the new oregon powersharp chains. too easy to sharpen.
    Grassman he's talking about after cutting palms even if the chain is still sharp the fibrous nature of palms and there sap will destroy a chain if it's not cleaned out properly after use not that you probably get many palms where you are
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Sharpening chains is piss easy. I haven't seen the tools for Husky saws yet as mine is still fairly new but I've been working with Stihls for years. On the file holder it has the angle you should be sharpening at, keep that line parallel with the bar, ~3 strokes, sometimes more if you've hit something. All up takes ~20 minutes to strip down the saw, clean it, sharpen it and put it back together. If you have an air compressor it makes life sooooo much easier.

Your other option is one of these, a Powersharp Chainsaw Sharpener. I never used one or seen one in use but it looks like it could make sharpening heaps faster.

Also to add onto what Cranbourne Lawnmowing said earlier about hitting the dirt, you can make your chain blunt when cutting stumps at ground level. All kinds of crap end up in the bark of some species, so just give it a quick brush down before cutting it.
    Cert III Arborist

that is what i mentioned in my above post. we are getting these, cuz on some jobs you need a new chain several times, and it gets annoying for as little chainsaw work we do. too expensive to keep too many chains around. sharpening on site is not feasable really. so, that will solve our issues.

i can understand the palms think for sure. pine trees can so the same thing

the powersharp looks good. have not seen one about before . i have a vice bolted on my trailer and just use a free file to sharpen my chains and file down rakers. it holds from a 25 inch bar on my 460 to a 14 inch on my pole saw and all in between . will check out them powersharp gadgets but.

Very Helpful Member

mark you need new chains and bars for the powersharp setup
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

yes, they come as a set, you get bar, chain, sharpener and stone. then, all you have to do is buy chains which i am told come with a new stone each time. we just got ours and ready to install. i am so curious how long the new chain design will stay sharp compared to standard. and how many times you can sharpen them. it sure sharpens fast though

^^^ Mark what's your business name here in Twmba? Arborist/Tree climber by the sound of it?

damn! they only make them up to 18" bar/chain

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

i have never even used larger than 18 in bar, what the heck you cutting down? lol

we got a 16 incher, to try out before replacing all chains on our saws

can you let us know how they go Grassman?
    my 2 big saws are a 22" & a 24", also have a 14" and 2 pole-saws, 12 & 10" - I wonder how hard/easy they would be on pole-saws to sharpen?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast