Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw - Bar and Chain Care

Default Re: Chainsaw - Bar and Chain Care

My only worry with those new sharpeners is how much meat they take off the chain each time used. Does anyone have feedback on this?

That is what I think would be the advantage of file-sharpening. You only need about three passes of the file to put a good edge back on the teeth.

it only takes a couple of minutes to change a chain over. and when you get home sharpen them. a sharpener only wears out a chain slightly quicker than a file, but at least you know your angles are right.

the angles are preset, cant screw them up. we prefer if this works well cost wise to do this and avoid human error on sharpening. changing the chain sucks imo.

i will let you all know how it goes, should be using it here in a month or so when we start up again.

If the Powersharp sharpens effectively then I too would prefer using it. 2 minutes to sharpen the chain vs 15 minutes or more by hand, thats extra work that could be done in the time saved. 15-20 minutes saved is enough to prune a tree (except M. styphellioides) away from powerlines. We buy chains by the roll and one of our guys puts them together so chain replacement is easy. It'd be great if you are doing stumps all day or cutting stuff thats full of dirt and other crap.
    Cert III Arborist

agreed - might have to see if its feasible/worthwhile to put smaller bars on my big units

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

A few of the comments for this vid say the design of the chain causes it to dull very quickly requiring frequent sharpening. Using their special chains only, I wonder how expensive they are compared to regular saw chain.

Grassman you're the guinea-pig. Let us know how it goes.

i am the guinea pig, lol. i will let you know cuz i am going to be cutting oak withit in march starting out

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    A few of the comments for this vid say the design of the chain causes it to dull very quickly requiring frequent sharpening. Using their special chains only, I wonder how expensive they are compared to regular saw chain.

Grassman you're the guinea-pig. Let us know how it goes.

i watched the video closely and never a mention of the chain dulling any dif than a normal one. i think you misheard

No they didn't mention it in the vid. I read it in a couple of the comments posted below.

i find the elec sharpeners to sharpen MUCH better than a file

if you are rough/in a hurry you CAN take more meat off, but that means to slow down a bit

after using it the first couple times i wouldnt go back to a file (lol, unless like one time i left the sharpener at home)

if you only ise the saw OCCASIONALLY, stick with the file.,

if you do LOTS then the elec one will save you time, which is money, and chains are cheap compared to time used

i wouldnt want to spend my weekend sharpening a bucketfull of chains.

charge the customer for the time to maintain and clean your machine, or youre behind the eightball

and if they SEE you sharpening it (ie on "their" time) they at least know WHY you charge so much, cos they can SEE how often you have to service it within the job. -else they think he charged me $80 and only cut for like 15 minutes

cheers

The only draw back is u have to use there special chains.
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

yes, but you dont have to have multple chains to do one job, never even change it out, just a few sec on the sharpener and off you go to keep cutting. brilliant!

Sounds great Grassman keep us updated on how it goes. Good thread Paul.

Regarding chain oil....I have always just used the cheapest engine oil available, No frills 4lt etc, my belief is ...well your only chucking the oil away anyway!!
    Have saved myself a packet over the years I reckon.
    Anyone else use engine oil as bar oil?

cheers

i dont use it, i use genuine stihl bar and chain oil, no reason either, ahah

anyways, guys, a small update on the powersharp chain.

we did not check for sure and assumed the dealer sent us the right part, but to find out these chains are currenly only made in 3/8 spacing. our sprocket is 325 spacing which of course made it incompatible and we found out fast.. fortunately, according to books we can change the sprocket on our saw to match the chain.

good news is the little we used it, it cut like a hot knife thru butter!!! so, once i get it back up and running with that chain, i will post more about it.

they will be producing the 325 chain version starting in 2013 i was told from oregon themselves.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast