Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silky Telescopic Pole Saw

Default Re: Silky Telescopic Pole Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Shepparton Lawn Care View Post
    Hi Arborlab, does the pole saw lock in like the barnel pole saws do? and is there any difference in the quality of the saw blades-Barnel vs Silky? Thanks in advance
    Hi Shep, Ive had both Silky & Barnel, they are BOTH very good.
    You could also throw ARS saws into the mix.
    I snapped the Barnel & my mate said, i'll Just weld it up.
    Lucky it was at the base & did'nt interfere with the cutting action.
    Have also snapped Silkies............ dont ask.
    Top saw is the Barnel, underneath the ARS.
    2013-05-31 12.50.33.jpg2013-05-31 13.35.18.jpg
    Cheers Fred.

Valued Country Member Shepparton Lawn Care's Avatar

Thanks for the reply Arbourlab and thanks to you to Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by Arborlab PR View Post
    Did you know that Silky Saws Japan make a telescopic pole saw that extends to 7.7 metres?
    I use one of these at work where I can't reach with a Stihl pole pruner or bringing in a tower is overkill. Awesome saw, just getting target cuts right is challenging as well as getting the hang of it at the full 7.7 metres. Can you get a secateur head for it though? We have a lot of Gleditsia triacanthos as street trees, they take like 15-30 minutes to prune with a pole pruner, would be soo much easier being able to just snip them instead of trying to cut them with a saw.

Also have a Silky Yamabico in my climbing kit, best handsaw I've ever used.
    Cert III Arborist

Sun, as street trees do you have many problems with the thorny aspect of Gleditsias? I know there are several different cultivars. Up here in the mid 90's there was a big effort made to eradicate as many as possible especially in the rural sector.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Sun, as street trees do you have many problems with the thorny aspect of Gleditsias? I know there are several different cultivars. Up here in the mid 90's there was a big effort made to eradicate as many as possible especially in the rural sector.
    We don't plant the ones with thorns, we have 3 different varieties that are planted by... developers in estates. Only thing with thorns that get planted are Robinia's.
    Cert III Arborist

Quote Originally Posted by SunM View Post
    I use one of these at work where I can't reach with a Stihl pole pruner or bringing in a tower is overkill. Awesome saw, just getting target cuts right is challenging as well as getting the hang of it at the full 7.7 metres. Can you get a secateur head for it though? We have a lot of Gleditsia triacanthos as street trees, they take like 15-30 minutes to prune with a pole pruner, would be soo much easier being able to just snip them instead of trying to cut them with a saw.

Also have a Silky Yamabico in my climbing kit, best handsaw I've ever used.
    Hi SunM, you could proly get a lopper head for the Silky pole I think but, do you really want one?
    At 7.7m, if you put a lopper head on top of that, it would be almost uncontrolable.
    I have a Barnel 6odd meter pole & the lopper attachment.
    The lopper is a top quality attachment, really well made but at 1.5kg ontop of the pole, its very hard to control.(the saw weighs 450g)
    Also the shear physical size of it can make it awkward if the branch you are cutting is close to other branches.
    If you are going to use a lopper on a pole, I think the maximum efficient height to use it would be around the 4 meter mark.
    I also have the wolf lopper which I much prefer. A slab of crown &the Barnel's yours
    2013-06-05 20.17.14.jpg
    Cheers Fred.

Hi Fred do you use a pole saw as well or do you just use the hand held ones?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Silky Saws do not manufacture a lopper attachement. The blades on the Silkys are so sharp that they will cut through anything and at any size, but the branch must be fairly stationary. So if you are needing to tip prune you will need to use some kind of lopper attachement. Many Silky customers do not want to miss out on the ease and convenience of the Silky poles, so they purchase the connector pipe, which they then modify to suit the best lopper that they can find. You can get the connector pipe for all of the Silky poles and they are fairly inexpensive.

372-42 HAYATE 3-Ext. pole saw 6.1M Sheathed.jpg

This is what the 7.7 meter one looks like.

372-42 HAYATE 3-Ext. pole saw 6.1M Extended.jpg

This is with the Sheath off, so that you can see the connector pipe.

They make a attachment for these saws with the lopper and rope it is a japanese product but after market and fits the silky pole saw but dont think they stock them here as of yet....{Silky USA}

They are the best saws in every way same People that make samuri sords {kartanas}I was told....Said that to one of my clients and she know revers to it as the samari sord....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

You are right 63impala, Silky did previously make samuri swords. They have a long steel history and reputation for excellence.

Some countries do sell loppers with the Silky poles, but they are not made or endorsed by Silky Japan. They have not been tested so as to assure the weight will not damage the poles. That is why we just leave it up to the individual to make an informed decision about the lopper they like best. And as Freds mowing mentioned, you need to be careful when using a lopper at 7.7 meters. As the weight and leverage could be a problem.

Thanks for sharing your love of Silky, we think its good too!

Another fan here,I love the bloody things.Mine have done heaps of work,still as sharp as the day I got them.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Great to hear Courty,

Isnt it great when the product you buy, actually stands up to the hype the sales person gives it! Glad to see that you are part of our team.

Dont forget, if you are after new release information or competitions with Silky saws. Join the facebook page Silky Saws Australia

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast