Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between normal roundup and roundup biactive?
    The biactive roundup seems to take up to 2 weeks to kill anything and everything stays dead for ages as the normal roundup works a lot quicker but doesn't last
    I presume by 'normal Roundup', you mean Roundup 360gm/l glyphosate concentrate and not one of the 'premixed' Roundup products ...
    That said, both normal and Biactive Roundup contain the SAME amount of the SAME active ingredient.
    The biactive formulation had different surfactants / wetting agents that have less impact in aquatic and near aquatic situations (eg harm to frogs).
    Check / compare msds for more info.

To quote from the manufacturers info
    "Roundup BiactiveŽ has been specifically formulated for use in environmentally sensitive areas. This unique formulation contains an 'aquatic approved' surfactant, allowing for use in sensitive areas such as around streams, creeks, dams, channels and drains. Roundup BiactiveŽ controls a broad spectrum of annual, perennial and aquatic weeds."

Don't know why you are seeing a difference except maybe you are dealing with some 'hard to kill" weeds and need to add wetting agent or penetrant (eg pulse) to make your roundup mix more effective.

Joe

Many thanks Joe
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

A good read here for anyone interested in their health

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...rid=1884767676

whether true or not, that site is run by a quack

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    whether true or not, that site is run by a quack
    Maybe or maybe not but you know what they say about opinions Redeye!

Got a email from a company I subcontract for who has asked me to stop using glyphosate until further notice
    Saying that the laws are changing for use of weed killers and glyphosate
    I phoned there office for more information which they could not give me
    I've searched the web nothing in Australia about it
    Another mowing contractor I spoke to said we may need to get a licence for commercial use of glyphosate like pest controllers have to have a license to use pesticides
    Anyone know anything??
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Got a email from a company I subcontract for who has asked me to stop using glyphosate until further notice
    Saying that the laws are changing for use of weed killers and glyphosate
    I phoned there office for more information which they could not give me
    I've searched the web nothing in Australia about it
    Another mowing contractor I spoke to said we may need to get a licence for commercial use of glyphosate like pest controllers have to have a license to use pesticides
    Anyone know anything??
    Not really but the EU are giving Roundup use only 18 months before they possibly put some restrictions on its use.

I am trying to find out more also as schools may be very quick to pick up on this via government

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Not really but the EU are giving Roundup use only 18 months before they possibly put some restrictions on its use.

I am trying to find out more also as schools may be very quick to pick up on this via government
    It will never happen the cost to manage areas without poison is to great. The risks of harm by using alternative measures will be higher than Roundup.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    It will never happen the cost to manage areas without poison is to great. The risks of harm by using alternative measures will be higher than Roundup.
    Steam, vinegar solutions the options are out there we'll just have to find the most commercial viable option. Costs will go up and in our industry that's hard to pass on, also very hard to absorb into profit margins that are slim at best compared to other trades. Looks likes its coming though. That and 2 strokes will be phased out soonish. Big changes.

Already been asked not use round up....govt school...anyway i use Slasher weedkiller works a treat but you must ensure u spray everything so you tend to use more...active ingredients are plant oils .It is non selective and works on contact to rapidly desiccate and burn weeds and cost 30 bucks a litre...customers like it that i don't use round up......

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Already been asked not use round up....govt school...anyway i use Slasher weedkiller works a treat but you must ensure u spray everything so you tend to use more...active ingredients are plant oils .It is non selective and works on contact to rapidly desiccate and burn weeds and cost 30 bucks a litre...customers like it that i don't use round up......
    Same mob that do eco neem, never tried it will give it a go.

Hey Geoff, what sort of mix rates and how long to being rain fast? Any problems other than cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Never say Never!!

as i said before you do use a lot more ..usually 50 to 70 mm per litre which is a lot more expensive , rain proof in 2 hours...you can buy 200 litre drums works out at 13 odd bucks a litre...its a more costly alternative but is a safe one ..used for large commercial areas orchards etc so operators are turning towards it.Resential customers may baulk at the price ( you are using 5 to 7 times as much for the same price of round up ) but most of mine are prepared to pay for the safety part...just saying

as i said before you do use a lot more ..usually 50 to 70 mm per litre which is a lot more expensive , rain proof in 2 hours...you can buy 200 litre drums works out at 13 odd bucks a litre...its a more costly alternative but is a safe one ..used for large commercial areas orchards etc so operators are turning towards it.Resential customers may baulk at the price ( you are using 5 to 7 times as much for the same price of round up ) but most of mine are prepared to pay for the safety part...just saying
    Thanks mate, dropping into bunnings to buy some tomorrow. Will need to keep a seperate sprayer and will start using it so when the requests come in I am ready.
    Keep using my Glypho until it runs low and then have both if this stuff is as good as you say.

May then have to get it in 20l drums - around $300+

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast