Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Crankitup, if it's Burr Medic just spray with MCPA of Dicamba, and then spray again in 14 days time, this should get rid of most of the Burr Medic, then aerate it and then spread some fertiliser and water in this will bring your lawn up nice. Yes it is in the Clover family but it is a prodigious seeder, where Clover is more to do with lack of Nitrogen in the soil. If you feed the Burr Medic you may end up with a major headache next year.

hi stranger! where are you these days?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Crankitup, if it's Burr Medic just spray with MCPA of Dicamba, and then spray again in 14 days time, this should get rid of most of the Burr Medic, then aerate it and then spread some fertiliser and water in this will bring your lawn up nice. Yes it is in the Clover family but it is a prodigious seeder, where Clover is more to do with lack of Nitrogen in the soil. If you feed the Burr Medic you may end up with a major headache next year.
    Thanks David. I'll skip the Baileys then. I'm still sure that Burr Medic (every house in our street has it) is a nitrogen fixer too as I've seen the nodules on the roots of some that I pulled out. I was trying to test a chemical free approach as some of my clients won't let me use any chemicals. Thought I could burn most of it out with a Urea & Iron Sulfate mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    hi stranger! where are you these days?
    Sitting in a Very wet Parkes NSW, waiting for the better half to have her hip replacement, due in the next 4 weeks, then we can hit the road again in the New Year.
    Got a couple of gardening jobs here while I wait, lucky I held onto some of my tools. Got a few hedges and lots of Roses OUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    Thanks David. I'll skip the Baileys then. I'm still sure that Burr Medic (every house in our street has it) is a nitrogen fixer too as I've seen the nodules on the roots of some that I pulled out. I was trying to test a chemical free approach as some of my clients won't let me use any chemicals. Thought I could burn most of it out with a Urea & Iron Sulfate mix.
    Your biggest problem with your solution is the client may not like the idea of you mowing every week for the next 6weeks. If you mowed every 14 days you would have a hell of job to cut, catch and cleanup.
    Would suggest you make up a sand and Sulphate of Ammonia mix and sprinkle it on each individual plant to kill, sand is so you can see where you are putting the fertiliser, leave for a day and then water in, this will burn the plant and then change the nitrogen in the soil, this would save a lot of mowing.

Your biggest problem with your solution is the client may not like the idea of you mowing every week for the next 6weeks.
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration at this time of year. I think it will take quite a while for the fertiliser to even key in. The soil temperature has hardly gone up at all yet even here in WA, so the lawn is still in virtual hibernation mode.

Would suggest you make up a sand and Sulphate of Ammonia mix and sprinkle it on each individual plant to kill, sand is so you can see where you are putting the fertiliser, leave for a day and then water in, this will burn the plant and then change the nitrogen in the soil, this would save a lot of mowing.
    I like this idea.

[QUOTE=Crankitup;150504]I think that's a bit of an exaggeration at this time of year. I think it will take quite a while for the fertiliser to even key in. The soil temperature has hardly gone up at all yet even here in WA, so the lawn is still in virtual hibernation mode.

That might be the case now but wait until it warms up a bit and you get a bit of rain, then you might change your mind. Yes this time of year it might work but once the fertiliser take effect then you may regret doing it. Especially if owner only wants lawn mowed every 2 weeks or 3 weeks.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been too busy to scratch myself lately.

Yes this time of year it might work ...
    Yes... that's why I did it at this time of year. I'd hardly do it at another time of year like say, the middle of summer when clover/burr medic/black medic isn't a problem would I?

...but once the fertiliser take effect then you may regret doing it.
    Have you done much vertimowing? Do you know how much nitrogen the lawn loses during the process? If you don't fertilise a lawn after vertimowing you're setting yourself up for a host of other problems. You want the lawn to thicken up and cover any gaps created in the process as quick as possible. I didn't use a slow release. I want a quick release of nitrogen to replace what was taken out during the vertimowing and facilitate the process I referred to earlier.

Yep I know your not silly but feeding the grass even at this time of the year with a quick action fertiliser will have actions,especially if you get a lot of rain and few warm days. I would use a slow release. I also used slow release for all the Bowling Greens and Golf Greens that I have vertimowed(scarified) over the years and have always found the slow release mix with extra minerals was better than a quick zap.
    Saying that if you want to quickly green up a lawn for special occasion then spread some Iron Sulphate and this will green them up fast and you wont have the mad mowing after, just don't do it to often as you will raise the iron content in the soil.

Saying that if you want to quickly green up a lawn for special occasion then spread some Iron Sulphate and this will green them up fast and you wont have the mad mowing after, just don't do it to often as you will raise the iron content in the soil.
    In the first post I made in this thread (#253) this is what I said I was going to do (the primary reason being for a different purpose).

Anyone used this fertiliser before?
    https://www.compo-expert.com/product...anent-16-7-152

I have been using 2 spec elevate and /or 2 spec accelerate if needed with quite good results.

Being used for sports ovals at schools at around 1 acre plus

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post

I have been using 2 spec elevate and /or 2 spec accelerate if needed with quite good results.

i use citrus no.2 [40 kg bag]from ag supplies

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post

2 spec elevate at recommended rate after 11 days and plenty of rain. Works ok for my liking!

944CC0EC-1A4F-46B0-9FEB-FF1AD9CE2D2E.jpg

8837EF20-BFE9-4310-86C6-EEBD2CCB9B7A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all - hoping for some advice on this Santa Ana for a client....

These are before and after shots from mowing to give an idea of what it’s like.

Is there a fertiliser you would recommend to get this looking better? Do you ask clients to water in between?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Chris.

Before mow
    B7276676-4641-4ABF-9CF3-BCC8FAC1DECA.jpg

After mow
    17B35C5C-C26A-44D2-8FA6-59521D59BA52.jpg

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718