Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing customer base and selling "splits" - does anyone do this?

Default Re: Increasing customer base and selling "splits" - does anyone do this?

Just depends on which franchise provider you are talking about,they do have different terms and conditions.
    Pick the right one and you'll make a lot of money and that's only if you are prepared to work for it,the franchise fee is minimal for the rewards returned plus fees are tax deductible.

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Increasing customer base and selling "splits" - does anyone do this?

One of the main advantages of a franchise would have to be that most people who ring one aren't expecting to get a mow for $20
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

What they are expecting is a professional operator who is dressed appropriately,courteous and able to supply the services needed.
    Knowing they are required to be insured and police checked and be able to complain to head office if they need to do so.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    What they are expecting is a professional operator who is dressed appropriately,courteous and able to supply the services needed.
    Knowing they are required to be insured and police checked and be able to complain to head office if they need to do so.
    so basically they are expecting an employee
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I never felt like i was an employee and never treated as one.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    I never felt like i was an employee and never treated as one.
    Jims model is a great one..there wouldn't be too many indys now days that could start up and earn 100k by year 2 ...i was lucky starting 30 years ago didn't need to advertise like now but the jims operators are well trained and given a good start with heaps of support...i reckon it would be hard to start from zero unless you wanted to pump mega bucks into advertising and in Melbourne thats no certainty of a getting clients ...jims are certainly not employees ..they run run rings around a lot of indies ...too many indies around here charge cheap look cheap and do cheap jobs ...the good indies i know are the best they charge well look good and do a great job ..
    dont knock the Jims

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Jims model is a great one..there wouldn't be too many indys now days that could start up and earn 100k by year 2 ...i was lucky starting 30 years ago didn't need to advertise like now but the jims operators are well trained and given a good start with heaps of support...i reckon it would be hard to start from zero unless you wanted to pump mega bucks into advertising and in Melbourne thats no certainty of a getting clients ...jims are certainly not employees ..they run run rings around a lot of indies ...too many indies around here charge cheap look cheap and do cheap jobs ...the good indies i know are the best they charge well look good and do a great job ..
    dont knock the Jims
    True Geoff but a few years in unless you are going to work the system ie: sell splits then you are probably just paying fees for very little return.
    P.S I don't think there was any need to have a go at me about the way I charge,look and the work I do

I remember nearly doubling my income within the first year, advantages in selling jobs between rounds to tighten traveling times.Most jobs were only a few hundred meters apart,had some streets where 3 or 4 jobs were in the same street
    Trade nights in having a look at new release machinery and discounts in fertilizer/weed killer in bulk.

It was a good life style much easier than going it alone without any support.As some of you know I looked at going back into a franchise a few years back where I was going to take my customers with me into the franchise,I had spoken to 3 different franchise services.
    My only fee going back in would have been trailer,uniforms and business cards which would have been minimal costs.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Spoke with a new VIP franchisee last week and the fees are now $700 month.

Very Helpful Member

Last price I heard for Jims was around $135p/w and that was a couple of years ago

pretty sure Jims was $600/month 4-5 yrs ago

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Current fee for all franchises is around that $200pw

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

When I was advertising I was spending around $60 week. $200pw is a big hit. I don't advertise at all anymore.

When I was a franchisee (I think franchises are great for first time business owners) the advertising & backup support was great and needed for the first three years. After that a lot of the work came from referrals and the jobs coming from the call centre, if not lawn mows, tended to be a pain and would flick to someone else. Therefore it felt like the fees were a burden and not good value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12