Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Default Re: Husqvarna Battery Gear

Gearbox lightly greased from manu, although upon opening mine it was fine, but I did chocked it up further with lovely Marine grease.
    The extended hedger is bogging down on certain thicker/denser type hedges or Especially Diosma.
    But on some of my bigger 210mtr (farm) and 50mtr X 2 jobs it never bogs down, just slices through due to different hedge species.

Earlier this week I was cutting across top of large bottle brush trees and full tree sized Lillies using ladder and the battery extended hedger did it with ease. Llike a hot knife in butter and the bottle/brush present some rather thick stems/branches.
    Small stems can jam the scissor action in thick/dense hedges, but keeping it sharp and very lightly retightening every 6 months re the blade tension screws or when needed. Gen maintenance solves that along with Lanolin spray.
    Gear case is not water tight - no rubber seal, so keep away from water. I've not had damp hedges effect it, but I don't like doing wet/damp hedges and will schedule away from that to another day.
    Some are experiencing blade vibration after knocks to the blade, tip end or after hitting objects. But that's really to expected if you hit something and can happen to petrol gear.
    One must have a tip end installed before use to minimise damage from a end hit to a wall etc.

Some gearbox and motors are being replaced under warranty.
    There is a non posting member who has much more detail into the gearbox/motor hedger problem that he has experienced, with warranty fixing it. But that's his story to tell if he wishes.

But the above is not a "oh dear better not buy it", just some individual occurances and warranty coming to party.
    For me its all been mainly working fine, especially since I've dremelled the blades lightly twice and tightened the screws along the blade.
    But it is bogging down on a few varieties of hedge even with eco mod off when the fine/dense hedge in negelected state or customer missed a bi or tri monthly service. But never enough issue to go back to petrol.

If had to go back to my petrol extended hedger I would give up extended reach hedging, especially with petrol extended re assembly/disassembly, arm/shoulder weight & vibration.

Look at your battery latches if you are an operators who uses battery only everyday. Tell sign is if the battery is starting to get hard to remove from the skin. If your right handed the right side may fail first, but both sides will fail over time. But I guess one must expect some wear n tear over time. But better if identified prior to 12 mth warranty ending.The 9.4amp first came out late Jan 2018.
    Cheers Garry

In the brutal summer we just had inland the Whipper gearbox was error coding over heating a lot in the everyday 40+ heat experienced everyday along with up to 70% increased diminished battery life on the non stop larger type jobs.
    The internal fans were running non stop and still running after use. But really one can't expect everything to be perfect it that type of disgusting heat. Petrol gear would of had its starting issues. But at least my gear (motor head) is not overheating into fault mode with the under 35 conditions and battery life has returned to normal now.

Yep, get a summer like that again and I'll retire.
    Cheers Garry

seems to be a few issues with the huskies, not good to hear, especially given Huskies can be more expensive. I was about to take the husky leap and cross over from sthil because we now have decent husky dealer but my sthil stuff won't die. I really like the look of the new husky extension hedger, looks well designed.

Is anyone running both Sthil and Husky systems?

The husky extended hedger imo is great, use it all the time and wouldn't leave home without. Only point of topic in my ownership is I have noticed on a few occasions out of heaps of use it has bogged down on some finer dense stuff. If that happens I take it of eco mode and slice off finer amounts. but that's not a deal breaker to me.

Kinda like discussing Hilux/Ranger, both have some points that would hit the Ranger & New Hilux forums. But still great vehicles and have proud owners.
    Cheers Garry

I run both the stihl and husky

Hey Gazza what gear do you run for Diosmas hedges .thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    Hey Gazza what gear do you run for Diosmas hedges .thanks
    Don't really come across much Diosmas, but did one last Tuesday and used the battery extended unit as that's what I had out and was using at the job.
    Use the extended battery hedger most times or the 60cm commercial battery Husky hedger for random jobs. Have the same two types of gear in petrol models carried in the trailer upright tool box. But don't use them now. But the petrol units do work better on Diosmas and the 60cm battery hedger works better than extended battery one on Diosmas.
    I have an office I do once a month that has a 8mtr Diosma across the front half windows and the entire 3 sided 25 car carpark is lined in chest high closely spaced grass plants. I use the 60cm battery hand held mentioned on the Diosma & the grasses for trimming height and keeping it off the gutter edges as they request at that at the office job. Provided its maintained sharp, it handles that easy.

But strangely the battery 60cm Hedger works better on the grass plants than my 55cm petrol hedger did. As the grass plants used to give me the S*#@* because I couldn't cut them cleanly enough using the petrol unit. Now there no issue, just slice them with ease with the 60cm battery unit when kept sharp and blade bolts tight to factory issue.

(All gear Husky)
    Cheers Garry

I've had no issues with my line trimmer on regular lawns using 2mm line.

The Extended hedger hasn't been the same since I hit the tip of the cutter bar. It's had a new motor (under warranty) and a new cutter assembly since then. I serviced the gearbox and everything looked ok when I changed the cutters, but it only just does the job now.

Thinking of getting a Stihl KMA 130R kombi power head for next season, to use with my old kombi attachments. But that's another $1k+ to get set up.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    The husky extended hedger imo is great, use it all the time and wouldn't leave home without. Only point of topic in my ownership is I have noticed on a few occasions out of heaps of use it has bogged down on some finer dense stuff. If that happens I take it of eco mode and slice off finer amounts. but that's not a deal breaker to me.

Kinda like discussing Hilux/Ranger, both have some points that would hit the Ranger & New Hilux forums. But still great vehicles and have proud owners.
    Yeah I love using it especially if needing an extended for long periods of time.

It has just been unreliable. Wish it was not the case. Other than planting my bum on th ZTR it is the bit of equipment I enjoy using. (when it is working)

For me being a bloke here as recently as across 2017 being so dead set against battery/electric operation for a commercial operator. What a champion of change I've become thanks to these battery posts and originally the Stihl postings on the subject.
    Yep, if your business was doing feral yard clean ups with concrete paths with 18inch visible concrete. Then the petrol whippy and or atom comes into play, but for regulars job or just a little rough as the business builds - nah go electric where you can.
    Your dealer will tell you electric is the path and products will get even better with significant pace. If Husky released a more powerful hand blower than the one I have. I'll be straight over to the shop to get it.
    Will be asking at the Pro Dealer/HO Husky day next week what's coming and grilling them for info.
    Applied the electric principle at home with the 8.82kw Lg Neon 2 system. As a side thing having the solar the 2 x 350w husky chargers run at no cost for the multi batteries charged daily. Same story with the small electric chipper too with the lighter stuff at times one brings home to save a smaller tip run whilst mulching me garden beds.
    Cheers Garry

Don't really come across much Diosmas, but did one last Tuesday and used the battery extended unit as that's what I had out and was using at the job.
    Use the extended battery hedger most times or the 60cm commercial battery Husky hedger for random jobs. Have the same two types of gear in petrol models carried in the trailer upright tool box. But don't use them now. But the petrol units do work better on Diosmas and the 60cm battery hedger works better than extended battery one on Diosmas.
    I have an office I do once a month that has a 8mtr Diosma across the front half windows and the entire 3 sided 25 car carpark is lined in chest high closely spaced grass plants. I use the 60cm battery hand held mentioned on the Diosma & the grasses for trimming height and keeping it off the gutter edges as they request at that at the office job. Provided its maintained sharp, it handles that easy.

But strangely the battery 60cm Hedger works better on the grass plants than my 55cm petrol hedger did. As the grass plants used to give me the S*#@* because I couldn't cut them cleanly enough using the petrol unit. Now there no issue, just slice them with ease with the 60cm battery unit when kept sharp and blade bolts tight to factory issue.

(All gear Husky)
    My sthil HSA86 got jammed up today on a diosma hedge. Had to pluck all the fine foliage out from the blades with pliers to get it to unjam. I'll have to check the blade gap.

At the Husky Pro Event which a lot of effort went into by local dealers and Husky H/O.
    Local dealer introduced me to the main man for the equipment feedback including battery gear.
    Told him about the bogging down of the battery extended hedger and he was very surprised. Went through key areas within the hedger that could be causing it. He got my dealer over and instructed him on the checking process from gearbox, motor, to on board electronics diagnostics. Also mentioned not to put too much grease in the gearbox, (Best I take some out)
    First check was to take the hedger in to dealer and all my other battery skin gear plus all 6 batteries and have them all checked for lastest software download. I didn't know they get software updates including the batteries. He said, they would check all errors codes experienced in the heat and cold. But the gear coming from Sweden they don't get our inland heat with over 40's.
    He asked if I had experienced an issue with battery hand blower and said Yes and was surprised with my quick home solution. but a software update and dealer check might be a better path.

Also when in the extreme heat 40+ next summer was told how to minimise the burning hot heat build up in the whipper motor head and on extended use, but got the feeling I should not post that here.
    Cheers Garry

At the Husky Pro Event which a lot of effort went into by local dealers and Husky H/O.
    Local dealer introduced me to the main man for the equipment feedback including battery gear.
    Told him about the bogging down of the battery extended hedger and he was very surprised. Went through key areas within the hedger that could be causing it. He got my dealer over and instructed him on the checking process from gearbox, motor, to on board electronics diagnostics. Also mentioned not to put too much grease in the gearbox, (Best I take some out)
    First check was to take the hedger in to dealer and all my other battery skin gear plus all 6 batteries and have them all checked for lastest software download. I didn't know they get software updates including the batteries. He said, they would check all errors codes experienced in the heat and cold. But the gear coming from Sweden they don't get our inland heat with over 40's.
    He asked if I had experienced an issue with battery hand blower and said Yes and was surprised with my quick home solution. but a software update and dealer check might be a better path.

Also when in the extreme heat 40+ next summer was told how to minimise the burning hot heat build up in the whipper motor head and on extended use, but got the feeling I should not post that here.
    Call me stupid but why on earth do these gardening tools need any software at all? Is it necessary, does it make it more reliable or is it just a gimmick to get you back in the shop. Why can't the motor just draw as much power from the battery as it needs. It is not like there are decisions to be made. It is pretty much on or off. The motor either rotates or it doesn't. Been done by petrol engines for years on end without the need for a computer. There are also plenty of other cordless professional tools (e.g. drills, saws etc) out there and I've never heard of them needing software upgrades. Putting a computer on a small machine that vibrates like the clappers is asking for trouble in my opinion.

When I first raised the extended hedger bogging down on Diomsa the first thing said was is the software up todate. I thought, huh.

Well its the first step towards Autonomous lawn mowing gear, In 2050 we wont be needed, the self drive car will take the tools to the job and tools will do the job onsite without you. Robotic tools like the lawn mower they had on demo will sit in the mini trailer and offload themselves via their own transportation catapillar wheels.
    We will buy the dedicated personalised wifi frequncey & app that runs them, provided the service & charge that way. Whilst we sit home in a deck chair monitoring it on our ipad 15. Be warned, its the future unless climate change means we will be selling 20mm colored stones.....

Sheesih, I better not have a dream about that crap tonight.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Call me stupid but why on earth do these gardening tools need any software at all? Is it necessary, does it make it more reliable or is it just a gimmick to get you back in the shop. Why can't the motor just draw as much power from the battery as it needs. It is not like there are decisions to be made. It is pretty much on or off. The motor either rotates or it doesn't. Been done by petrol engines for years on end without the need for a computer. There are also plenty of other cordless professional tools (e.g. drills, saws etc) out there and I've never heard of them needing software upgrades. Putting a computer on a small machine that vibrates like the clappers is asking for trouble in my opinion.
    My dealer told me recently that some petrol engine tools now have a diagnostic plug in. I find that hard to believe, but that's what he told me.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast