Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Box Alarms

Default Tool Box Alarms

Anyone use alarms for their tool boxes?

If so what do you use and what are the pros and cons?

Have 2 locks on each tool box but that does not necessarily stop break ins now.

Default Re: Tool Box Alarms

I have Un-secured Insurance so dont lock anything, but i am thinking of getting front and back dashcams.

I'm sure your referring to when on the road travelling mainly.

But I'll share the below.
    At night my whole rig Hilux/Tandem Trailer and most gear is under house night perimeter alarm, with remaining equipment in the rear yard shed included in that perimeter seal via wifi into the master house Paradox Alarm unit. (All battery backed up)
    Also rear yard/front/sides and rear shed together with house garage all under commercial grade day/night vision HD CCTV small Turret units, assessable live by my iphone/ipad app. So if one heard a noise at night from bed, we would fire up any apple device to see outside.
    Plus 5 Clipsal sensors to back up lighting to supplement the system at night with lighting that blends into the house style.
    No don't live in gated community and actually live in a good area.
    The system professionally supplied/installed is not as horrendous in cost as one may think.

But on the road its padlocks always and I won't do jobs that requires me to park the rig away from the job, ie around the street cnr. A fellow mowing man in my town was on a job on a cnr Real Estate Agent job site and had the whole rig which included a Hilux dual cab and trailer stolen from under his nose whilst working the job within the R/Agents own carpark.

Edit; have front dash cam mini 0806
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Anyone use alarms for their tool boxes?

If so what do you use and what are the pros and cons?

Have 2 locks on each tool box but that does not necessarily stop break ins now.
    I was putting in wider gates so I could get the new trailer into back yard.
    But it looks like we are moving so will need to keep it parked at front for another 3 months.

I will probably put a 3rd lock on each toolbox - and also run a chain through all the gear inside the toolbox which will be locked with good padlocks.

Think I will also leave the front door unlocked - security only locked and move the dogs mat to a corner quite close to the front.

Rouser (the dog) is exceptionally alert and people who walk on the other side of the street get him paying attention.

Bring along a postie, diesel delivery van, loud noisy people, people wearing beanies/hoodies, and very dark colored people and he is full on.

He has already ripped the security mesh off the security door, was not the really good stuff but not fly wire also. Yet we have had a few young ladies selling stuff walk straight up to the door and NOTHING!!!

New house will have it parked out rear over a rather high gate/fence as I have done with existing trailer and gear - never had a problem.

John, we also have our Golden Retriever inside as his part of the family.
    When we had the boss of the cities biggest security company at my house to quote, he looked and patted our dog inside the house said Quote "Your dog is your best security device"
    Cheers Garry

Best security that i have is INSURANCE.....

WOOF WOOF GRRRR - best insurance there is
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

My brother has a ute with tool boxes on each side of his tray. He had a car alarm installed and the installer connected a bonnet type switch to each tool box. ie. open the tool box when car is locked and the alarm goes off.

When I lived in Wantirna-Knox City I had an Outboard Motor stolen of my boat. Three yrs later I had the contents of a trailered Cabin Cruiser stripped in a motel stay.
    My past 33 Yr career had highly monitored CCTV for crime/theft, staff theft and instore public violence and strict audited Alarm control-alarming 24/7 and rearming offices upon leaving/enter etc. etc. Often the footage was used for apprehension, court, police and union issues and it was myself responsible.

I guess when I retired from my career I missed the cameras and alarm stuff, so my neighbour had contacts and when we had a druggie or drunk trying to enter 7 homes one Monday morning at 4.00am. I had no alarms then and my Golden Rettiver who was inside went total nuts at our front door - woke me and scared me with the nutto aggression of our pet. The neighbour opposite had there two Huskies go spacko too and the house further down was broken into at their front bedroom window whilst asleep. Forensic Police from Wangaratta came up and fingerprinted and photo'd the scene as I saw their arrival and investigation unfold.

If you have been a victim, you never forget it. Yep, need insurance, but you pay the $$$ excess and the next policy renewal skyrockets generally. I've currenty 8 policies with RACV and 2 with Dean, I mow lawns to pay insurance me thinks.
    But when you have worked hard all your life to enjoy the fruits of it, one wants to protect it from some scum bag druggie within a diminishing respectful society for other peoples property who don't give a No 2.

Sorry SEM-John, maybe off track a little but we do need to secure and/or insur our gear at work, home and give added safety for our families too. Not everyone can afford to insure everything so it's then a case of prioritising what you insure
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    When I lived in Wantirna-Knox City I had an Outboard Motor stolen of my boat. Three yrs later I had the contents of a trailered Cabin Cruiser stripped in a motel stay.
    My past 33 Yr career had highly monitored CCTV for crime/theft, staff theft and instore public violence and strict audited Alarm control-alarming 24/7 and rearming offices upon leaving/enter etc. etc. Often the footage was used for apprehension, court, police and union issues and it was myself responsible.

I guess when I retired from my career I missed the cameras and alarm stuff, so my neighbour had contacts and when we had a druggie or drunk trying to enter 7 homes one Monday morning at 4.00am. I had no alarms then and my Golden Rettiver who was inside went total nuts at our front door - woke me and scared me with the nutto aggression of our pet. The neighbour opposite had there two Huskies go spacko too and the house further down was broken into at their front bedroom window whilst asleep. Forensic Police from Wangaratta came up and fingerprinted and photo'd the scene as I saw their arrival and investigation unfold.

If you have been a victim, you never forget it. Yep, need insurance, but you pay the $$$ excess and the next policy renewal skyrockets generally. I've currenty 8 policies with RACV and 2 with Dean, I mow lawns to pay insurance me thinks.
    But when you have worked hard all your life to enjoy the fruits of it, one wants to protect it from some scum bag druggie within a diminishing respectful society for other peoples property who don't give a No 2.

Sorry SEM-John, maybe off track a little but we do need to secure and/or insur our gear at work, home and give added safety for our families too. Not everyone can afford to insure everything so it's then a case of prioritising what you insure
    Gaz, have never left gear on trailer before except when out on the road and there are often 2 of us working. Everything has been kept on ute chained and locked or in tool boxes on ute locked.
    Always parked in garage at home and second car behind locked gate at home.
    With the new setup I need to look at options. Securing it multiple ways, possibly insuring it, second dash cam, tool box alarms, securing larger tools with chains/locks inside tool boxes etc
    At the new house it will be parked behind high locked gates. If they jump the fence with a few more security devices fitted it will slow them down. That will allow Rouser a little more time to get out the back door and let them know it is probably not a good idea.
    They probably won't have time to get over the fence though before they realise but like you I prefer to take every precaution

Don't we miss the days of leaving our bikes/trikes/scooters on the front lawn or nature strip and it was all there in the same spot the next day. Whilst Mum/Dad never stressed or cared that the items that they worked hard and saved for spent the night there either.

Good ol "Rouser" & my dog "Charlie", think I give him a Dentastix right now.
    Great to have a day or two off mucking around at home.
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

I had a client only a few years ago tell me when they sold their house in Lysterfield they had to get a locksmith out to cut keys for the locks as they had never used them and didn't know where the keys were
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Don't we miss the days of leaving our bikes/trikes/scooters on the front lawn or nature strip and it was all there in the same spot the next day.
    There's method in my madness for posting the above quote, I'm prepping myself up for all the stories I'm gona repeat at the Nursing Home. Like the 2 large bottles of draught, brown bagged and left on the street by the garbo bin for the garbo men for xmas that never got stolen before they came. And another to tell, when I used to hijack forum posts going of topic.
    Cheers Garry

Talking Re: Tool Box Alarms

Don't we miss the days of leaving our bikes/trikes/scooters on the front lawn or nature strip and it was all there in the same spot the next day. Whilst Mum/Dad never stressed or cared that the items that they worked hard and saved for spent the night there either.

Good ol "Rouser" & my dog "Charlie", think I give him a Dentastix right now.
    Great to have a day or two off mucking around at home.

Need something a bit more substantial than that.

you blokes can rap about expensive this at that ..insurance isn't that expensive nor the excess ..my excess is 250 and everything is insured for relpacemnet on road or at home....more than likely i will get a portable grinder on the road that cut my padlocks so dash cam won't stop that...as long as there is evidence of a break in the insurance will cover....as with public liability you have to have it if running a business....couple of lawn a month adequately covers the expense ...works for me anyway ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast