Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Diesel turbo timers

Default Diesel turbo timers

Diesel turbo timers for a modern diesel ute are they still needed? Those with these modern diesels have you fitted one? And if not do you need to let the engine idle down before stopping it? Or is it something that doesn't need thinking about on the modern diesels. Thank you.

Default Re: Diesel turbo timers

it is recommended to cool your car down after long drives, if you are only traveling short distances you will not need to though. But if you are towing a heavy load all day, give your car about 2 mins to cool down to allow the oil to slow and cool through the turbo
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    it is recommended to cool your car down after long drives, if you are only traveling short distances you will not need to though. But if you are towing a heavy load all day, give your car about 2 mins to cool down to allow the oil to slow and cool through the turbo
    Would you get a turbo timer fitted so you don't have to worry about it?

What is the function of turbo timer ---
    Keep engine running/idling until turbo spins down etc
    Or
    Can an auxiliary electric oil pump be fitted which runs for a timed period after engine stops to provide lube to turbo bearings while turbo spins down and stops? Is this already built into modern turbo diesels as standard?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Diesel turbo timers for a modern diesel ute are they still needed? Those with these modern diesels have you fitted one? And if not do you need to let the engine idle down before stopping it? Or is it something that doesn't need thinking about on the modern diesels. Thank you.
    the modern turbos are very small compared to the old style and cool down very quick, the bearing are designed to handle the heat, no need for a timer,

Good question, I think it is to allow the turbo to cool down. You would have to think modern cars that don't have them don't have a need for them else they'd be failing in droves. Maybe that is why they run such low viscosity oils. However when towing heavy loads with a car designed for passengers i don't think it would hurt. Owner manuals also say to do the servicing more frequently under severe conditions, one of which is towing. E.g for the K2900 normal oil change is 15000klms. Under severe usage it drops to 7500klms.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    the modern turbos are very small compared to the old style and cool down very quick, the bearing are designed to handle the heat, no need for a timer,

This is what I've been told also. Driving in town speed zones after long drives or heavy loads, is enough to cool the turbo down and negate the need for a timer.
    If a timer is fitted, you also cannot lock the car(electronically with central locking) on some models as it is wired through the ignition, which disables the central locking function.

Yeah I don't think it would be worth the time money and effort to fit a timer, what i meant was it might be worth idling the car for a minute or two after its worked hard, say in summer and towing a full load uphills etc. Plus fitting a timer would probably void a warranty.

We fitted a lot of turbo timers when I worked at Opposite Lock years ago. Word back then was they were illegal as you could not lock and leave your vehicle with the engine running. Basic principle was to cool the turbo bearings before shutting down. Been out of the industry for so long now though I wouldn't know if the more recent engines still need it. It was something designed more for towing, long trips, or heavy low-range 4WDing. Cheaper to sit in the vehicle for two minutes to let it cool down anyway

Having a couple of diesel Utes for work all I don't do anything other than drive normally. I guess if you flogged them just before stopping it may be an issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone.