Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl battery power

Default Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Did this one this morning with my domestic hla85

When I was on the gold coast a few weeks back the council were using the still battery pole pruners , working near the airport pruning heaps of trees, if thats not commercial use I don't know what is
    I agree definitely not domestic - The blades seem same as petrol version ... I think the light weight and plastic build may throw people off but plastics are super strong these days
    The only parts of tools I actually break are made of metal! (honda mowers usually - handles, axels, ratchets etc..)

For those asking about the FSA90R, I've been using it for a couple of weeks and loving the convenience
    I bought it to compliment the KM130 I use - I'ts perfect for regularly cut lawns etc - I'm always looking for more ways to become more efficient and the battery stuff helps
    The weight distribution is funny as the motor is at the bottom - feels light when using horizontally but heavier when twisted to cut vertically
    If you're thinking of buying to go all battery - don't bother - but to give you an edge on those regular jobs - yes

The hedge trimmers and pole saw I've found to be better than petrol in all aspects and have since sold my kombi and petrol hedge trimmers etc

I notice the kombi polesaw and battery chainsaws all use the same new small chain - sharpen with a 3.2mm file

The only thing I'm not interested in is backpack batteries - purely because of the amount of times we switch tools throughout the day
    If I worked in a hedge maze or farm etc then backpack would be awesome

Is anyone charging Stihl batteries in their work vehicle?
    I'm assuming may take too long, while not the best for the battery to be charged on and off all the time??

Sorry about all the posts! but just a quick note on the BGA85:

I bought it just to give it a try as I was already invested in the Stihl battery gear - $269 experiment
    I really wanted the BGA100 but cannot be bothered with a backpack battery - If I need to wear a backpack... may as well just use the BR700

I compared with the BGA86C which is what I usually use for small reg jobs - No, not as much power but so quick and convenient
    I found that the actual air volume isn't too bad .. .but speed ( I think??? ) is not comparable

So in real life use what it means: If you're trying to dislodge and blow out heavy wet leaves in a gutter for instance - practically useless compared to the 86 - can be done but you will just be taking twice as long
    BUT for jobs where you are blowing clippings on paths etc back onto lawns - Excellent! almost no difference

So I use it on almost every small regular job together with the FSA90r and I'm in and out in no time at all
    Hopefully they will release an updated version like the BGA100 with a slot to put the ap batteries in and we'll have best of both worlds

It was the commercial husky hedge trimmer I was talking about, I couldn't understand why it was the only one without a brushless motor. Probably makes stuff all difference anyway.
    Conrad do you have the husky whipper ? If so how do you rate it. I would like one but then I would have to get more batteries and a charger I was trying to stick with one brand but if the two brands were husky and stihl that would cover everything I need.

Chris I was talking to a dealer today while picking up some parts, he said stihl are bringing out a lighter cheaper backpack battery aimed at running the new fsa130 and the new hedge trimmers coming out. Interesting times ahead I feel. The bga85 will be my next purchase, after what you have said

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post

Chris I was talking to a dealer today while picking up some parts, he said stihl are bringing out a lighter cheaper backpack battery aimed at running the new fsa130 and the new hedge trimmers coming out. Interesting times ahead I feel. The bga85 will be my next purchase, after what you have said
    Interesting.. sounds like there will be a lot of new developments
    I'm hoping they release a backpack sprayer that will take the ap battery too!

At least the with BGA85 .. you can chuck a battery in it and give it a quick demo to see if it suits you before purchasing

the ego SP mower & backpack blower doing great. Never expect the mower so good. I thought could be **** one but its not.

im going to test my Ego multi tools line trimmer tomorrow. I believe this will beat STIHL FSA-90 which i thought was not good design due to motor near to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    The problem with the electric whippers in my experience so far has been poor balance, big bulky motor at the cutting head and a power lag.

What are Husky whipper snippers like?
    if you use FSA90, YES. Therefore, I didnt purchase it.

but not with the new ego multitools. its good balance due to the motor on the top. Plus ego motor is 2000W which is very good

NLALM, I demoed the Husky whipper last year. I thought it would be ok for regular lawns. It was winter when I tried it and I couldn't find any lawn grass while I had it so I put it in this old rank grass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltbMt2QFyE

I got the Husky Extended Hedge trimmer to demo today. I'll start a new thread to keep this one on topic for Stihl gear.

Thumbs up Re: Stihl battery power

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    NLALM, I demoed the Husky whipper last year. I thought it would be ok for regular lawns. It was winter when I tried it and I couldn't find any lawn grass while I had it so I put it in this old rank grass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltbMt2QFyE

I got the Husky Extended Hedge trimmer to demo today. I'll start a new thread to keep this one on topic for Stihl gear.
    Would be very interested ED thanks..

Looks like there could be heaps of development in next 6-12 months or so.

I may still wait for a while longer to see if I can get - Ext hedgy, small limbing saw, blower & possibly whippy.
    Have a few schools and many office areas I could use those on when starting early on Saturdays or when I am close to their office areas.
    It would not be the main gear I would use all the time but still needs to do the job - ALL using one battery .

If Stihl can do it great but I would like 2 or 3 to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Sorry about all the posts! but just a quick note on the BGA85:

I bought it just to give it a try as I was already invested in the Stihl battery gear - $269 experiment
    I really wanted the BGA100 but cannot be bothered with a backpack battery - If I need to wear a backpack... may as well just use the BR700

I compared with the BGA86C which is what I usually use for small reg jobs - No, not as much power but so quick and convenient
    I found that the actual air volume isn't too bad .. .but speed ( I think??? ) is not comparable

So in real life use what it means: If you're trying to dislodge and blow out heavy wet leaves in a gutter for instance - practically useless compared to the 86 - can be done but you will just be taking twice as long
    BUT for jobs where you are blowing clippings on paths etc back onto lawns - Excellent! almost no difference

So I use it on almost every small regular job together with the FSA90r and I'm in and out in no time at all
    Hopefully they will release an updated version like the BGA100 with a slot to put the ap batteries in and we'll have best of both worlds
    Thanks for the review. What you say makes sense. The right tool for the right job.

Just on your other question regarding charging in the car. I did cart around a large deep cycle batterey in my trailer for a while with the intention of charging batteries if I ran out but found it wasn't necessary because the Sthil battery (and I only have the one) never ran out on me but if you are not a sole operator you might need to come up with something. You'd need to do your maths on weather its worth it. Those big deep cycle lead acid batteries weigh a lot and the advantage of buying extra sthil batteries mean you can rotate them thru whilst always having a fully charged backup in the ute.

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    the ego SP mower & backpack blower doing great. Never expect the mower so good. I thought could be **** one but its not.

im going to test my Ego multi tools line trimmer tomorrow. I believe this will beat STIHL FSA-90 which i thought was not good design due to motor near to the ground
    Thanks, that would be appreciated. Be great if you could give a review for all the EGO gear. I'll start another thread for the EGO gear.

Steve I think if you were an all electric operator a van would be the go to keep it out of the weather, maybe solar panels on the roof, or just a few more batteries. Check out footprint gardens Instagram , Scott uses all Husky and stihl also ego, he is a good bloke who would tell you anything you wanted to know

The 2017 Husqvarna catalogue says the motor on the commercial hedge trimmer is a 4 brush motor model 536lihd60x.

For anyone with a Sthil cordless hedger HSA65 or HSA85 there is a a recall happening, details here

http://www.stihl.com.au/recall.aspx

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast