Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zero turn size

Default Re: Zero turn size

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    forget about top speed, you can't cut grass at 12k's an hour....brands, l'm a gravely fanboy, also look at scag. Some brands make good commercial units and very ordinary cheaper units (toro, husqy, kubota, deere)
    hustler are a good unit, bobcat, maybe ferris........ l'd personally avoid cub cadet, they aren't up to commercial work but good to get you started on - see if you can sell it before it gets too abused, maybe trade-in
    The new cub cadet commercial series is top notch you should see it mate, Well worth it Hydro gear axles Kawasaki motor and 7 to 10g American steel...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    The new cub cadet commercial series is top notch you should see it mate, Well worth it Hydro gear axles Kawasaki motor and 7 to 10g American steel...
    Sounds good. It's still a Cub Cadet though. Had a very quick look at some of their stuff before I got the new machine 12 months ago.
    When they can get good reliable commercial productivity out of their machines they may be worth a look.
    That's just my unqualified opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    JMT be prepared to have a lot more grey hairs before you finally decide. There's probably 8-10 manufacturers that make 'top of the line' commercial mowers available in AU. Each of these also produce 2 or 3 other commercial models to target lower price points in the market. Plenty of commercial operators have good runs out of the cheaper models.

Different decks handle different situations differently. Some will mow manicured lawns beautifully, but are not so good on overgrown paddocks and vice versa. What's important to some operators/clients is not important to others.

Once you have an idea of what sort of mowing you might be doing, try and demo some machines in that situation.
    And after you have done this BUY from a dealer who will give you the support you need. There may not be much difference between many top brands but there is with the back up service you get from dealers.

mate, i'd guess the youtube vids are American where they cut at 3-5" and do it weekly - hence the speed
    l'd suggest reading reviews, ask on Lawnsite, l'd think Scag, Gravely, Bobcat would all be good...probably in that order
    Thats right!
    I rarely get to get the Super Z up to top speed except at schools when growth is light - like it is now in Melbourne.

forget about top speed, you can't cut grass at 12k's an hour....brands, l'm a gravely fanboy, also look at scag. Some brands make good commercial units and very ordinary cheaper units (toro, husqy, kubota, deere)
    hustler are a good unit, bobcat, maybe ferris........ l'd personally avoid cub cadet, they aren't up to commercial work but good to get you started on - see if you can sell it before it gets too abused, maybe trade-in
    You gotta buy a real mower then

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    You gotta buy a real mower then
    it's the quality lawns l need

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Well today I started to fit out the trailer, tomorrow getting sign writing. Website is up but not ranking yet. A few other things sorted, like shirts and business cards. Was planning on a spring start up but might be ready for the winter rush . Ok so I’m sure it’s going to be a slow start at this time of year. Drove the old zero turn on the trailer for the first time today it’s 50inch and while I had room I have decided going to 54 will be too tight. It was dewy when I went up and forwards was no problem but backing up had a little wheel spin. Didn’t take much to get a bit of a angle going and I think I’ll go 48-52 max which rules out the husky which I liked at 54.

My short list keeps getting longer but I haven’t actually had a good look at any in real life, except the husky. My favourites are probably,

Graverly pro turn 148,
    Hustler fastrak sdx 48,
    Kubota zg 222 48 inch and
    Bobcat Xrz pro 48.

These are all 48 inch machines so not sure if I I’ll regret the size?

The cub cadet actually looks good too, just haven’t seen a lot of contractors use them.

RRP vs Street price I’m hoping winter is a good time to go shopping, When I went to the husky dealer I saw a bigger machine with rrp up around $17k but has 20% off so dropped it down to $13ish k . What sort of deals do you get in general. 10% off rrp at minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Well today I started to fit out the trailer, tomorrow getting sign writing. Website is up but not ranking yet. A few other things sorted, like shirts and business cards. Was planning on a spring start up but might be ready for the winter rush . Ok so I’m sure it’s going to be a slow start at this time of year. Drove the old zero turn on the trailer for the first time today it’s 50inch and while I had room I have decided going to 54 will be too tight. It was dewy when I went up and forwards was no problem but backing up had a little wheel spin. Didn’t take much to get a bit of a angle going and I think I’ll go 48-52 max which rules out the husky which I liked at 54.

My short list keeps getting longer but I haven’t actually had a good look at any in real life, except the husky. My favourites are probably,

Graverly pro turn 148,
    Hustler fastrak sdx 48,
    Kubota zg 222 48 inch and
    Bobcat Xrz pro 48.

These are all 48 inch machines so not sure if I I’ll regret the size?

The cub cadet actually looks good too, just haven’t seen a lot of contractors use them.

RRP vs Street price I’m hoping winter is a good time to go shopping, When I went to the husky dealer I saw a bigger machine with rrp up around $17k but has 20% off so dropped it down to $13ish k . What sort of deals do you get in general. 10% off rrp at minimum?
    A year or 2 ago a contracting crew who worked for a local council had Gravely machines amongst others as part of their gear.
    The word was they had a lot of problems with the Gravely machines, not big problems but enough to make them unreliable.

They would have been 60inch or plus machines and probably the top end and they were used commercialy. They price was apparenty quite attractive compared to other comparible machines.

The husky 54inch pz series are good value and apparently a good mac hine

I would look at one if you have a local dealer. If I cant afford another Hustler to replace my 54inch machine I will consider the Husky.

it's the quality lawns l need
    Anything under 4 weekly or 12 inches height

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    And after you have done this BUY from a dealer who will give you the support you need. There may not be much difference between many top brands but there is with the back up service you get from dealers.
    Hell yes. Agree with this.
    I myself have had 2x bush hog zeros (many years ago now) 61inch and 44inch
    Then a scag cheetah 61 inch (now 6 years old and still thrashing it nearly everyday) unknown hours??
    Recently brought a scag 52inch tiger cat for one of my guys.
    A Ferris 52inch.......it’s ok but not a favourite of mine.
    And have acquired a Toro 61inch Z master with 400hrs on it (got it cheap)
    And a Resi Toro 42inch little toy of a thing (got it really cheap)
    Picked the Toro’s up from a couple of the schools I look after😂
    They haven’t used them in years and they are in pretty good nick. It also keeps the school from considering doing their own lawns again😂

By far the scag cheetah is number 1
    And it flys!!!! 26kph!! Mows a football oval is 30 mins.
    And any parts I need I go directly to the importer to pick them up and then get billed via the dealer who is over the other side of town.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenhead View Post
    Hell yes. Agree with this.
    I myself have had 2x bush hog zeros (many years ago now) 61inch and 44inch
    Then a scag cheetah 61 inch (now 6 years old and still thrashing it nearly everyday) unknown hours??
    Recently brought a scag 52inch tiger cat for one of my guys.
    A Ferris 52inch.......it’s ok but not a favourite of mine.
    And have acquired a Toro 61inch Z master with 400hrs on it (got it cheap)
    And a Resi Toro 42inch little toy of a thing (got it really cheap)
    Picked the Toro’s up from a couple of the schools I look after
    They haven’t used them in years and they are in pretty good nick. It also keeps the school from considering doing their own lawns again

By far the scag cheetah is number 1
    And it flys!!!! 26kph!! Mows a football oval is 30 mins.
    And any parts I need I go directly to the importer to pick them up and then get billed via the dealer who is over the other side of town.
    Well there is blast from the past!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123