Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedge Trimmer

tomartomau

Default Hedge Trimmer

I did a fairly big hedge earlier in the week, (I traditionally do not like hedges) that spanned the side and full front of the house.
    I have not had a lot of experience of using a hedge trimmer, however I would say that I have used the trimmer at least 20 odd times.

I find that the finish is no where near what I see others do in the community, especially the council.

My question is;
    Does the quality of the trimmer affect adversely the quality of the workmanship.

(Note) Please be honest, as I have all but resigned to the fact that I am not particularly gifted in hedges and would not offer them as part of my service.

P.S. The brand hedge trimmer is an electric one and the brand is 'Ozito'.

Kind Regards

Tony

worzel

Default Re: Hedge Trimmer

Hi Tony
    I use an echo hedge trimmer and a stihl hedge trimmer.
    These petrol machines have more grunt than the electric.This means as long as the blades are sharp you can shape the hedge far easily.
    I do a bit of topiary work and quite enjoy shaping shrubs into balls ,squares etc.
    A pole hedger which the blades cut at 90 degrees or more to the shaft is perfect for getting that straight line.( and so fast)
    Cheers Worzel
    Last edited by administrator; 21-04-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Hi Tony & Worzel, I use the same equipment as you Worzel. We do quite a bit of Hedge pruning too.

Tony, the golden rule is to always prune on an up stroke, never try to prune whilst stroking downwards.

I do the sides 1st Then I bevel in the top corners if appropriate, then off comes the top. I blow or rake the bits off the top & then give it one last tidy up (sort of like a barber does when you get a No1 lol!)

I know some blokes use drop sheets, but I don't like 'em! They get in my way. I just rake & blow it all clean.

Cheers!
    Last edited by administrator; 21-04-2010 at 01:09 PM.

tomartomau

Thanks for the replies, I also cut on the 'up stroke'.. in an anti clockwise motion.
    I might try and borrow a hedge trimmer (petrol version) to have a go and see if I can do any better with that type of machine.

Regards Tony

G'Day Tomartomau. I'm in the same boat as you mate. I have got a petrol one (still got a crank shaft on it, but very old) and it is HEAVY!! I also cant cut a marshmellow with a scalpel but am practicing Long story short I was in at the local Honda/Husqvarna dealer the other day to look at some and the Husqvarna (sorry cant remember the model) has a swivel trigger handle, so it enables you to still keep the engine at the top while doing those long upward strokes rather than the side saving the forearms a bit I reckon. I reckon I'm gonna buy the bugger anyway. Anyone else use these types?

Valued Country Member Shepparton Lawn Care's Avatar

I have a Honda hedge trimmer withe rotating head, gives a beautiful cut, is slightly on the heavy side, but at the time had the longest blade on the market ( i think stihl now has an equivalent blade length). A tip for producing a nice finish is to only use one blow ( a shearing term) on the up stroke. If you look closely at the cut because of the shearing action of the blades, any more than one pass, close together will cause a shredding effect-not pretty!ANd of course it has the reliability of a Honda!!!. Give Dean a call at ILMCoA to chase up price and availability

Ahhhh.....The fella at the Honda/Husqvarna joint reckon they didn't have a Honda one with the swivel head. Will definately go the Honda if they got one, assume being a Honda it's a 4 stroke too ay?

Hi Mowjoman, I had the husky that you describe & traded it in on an Echo!

The gearbox was forever jamming up & the exhaust outlet is facing the direction of the bush you are trimming. This caused large brown patches on the shrubs I pruned to appear after I'd gone, as they got burnt by the exhaust (thus causing unhappy customers!) And mate, is that unit HEAVY! It doesn't feel it in the shop, but once you're out working with it, ouch!

Simon, that shredding effect you describe is usually caused by the blades being set too far apart &/or a single sided blade. The cheaper stihl unit has both of these problems & gives a shocking cut on fine stuff like Diosmas. If you have a unit with a double sided blade, your blades are sharp & set nice & close together, you can pass as often as you like & still give a nice clean cut

Commercial

HCR1500SI

East start i-start fitted as standandᅠᅠᅠᅠ
    ᅠ (reducesᅠstartingᅠeffort byᅠ 80%)
    - Double sided blades
    - Double reciprocating blades
    - Full Crankshaft engine
    - Needle bearing gearbox
    - Chorme porous bore
    - 5 position swivel rear handle
    ᅠ (right or left handed operation)

NOW IN SAFETY ORANGE
    AT INDY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by administrator; 23-03-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Commercial

HCR1500SI

East start i-start fitted as standandᅠᅠᅠᅠ
    ᅠ (reducesᅠstartingᅠeffort byᅠ 80%)
    - Double sided blades
    - Double reciprocating blades
    - Full Crankshaft engine
    - Needle bearing gearbox
    - Chorme porous bore
    - 5 position swivel rear handle
    ᅠ (right or left handed operation)

NOW IN SAFETY ORANGE

589.00 AT INDY

thats a very good price for a very good unit!

worzel

Excellent machine
    I have a slightly older version of this echo and it has gone for years with no probs at all.
    Totally reliable

I too am a hedge trimmer novice. I am getting better with well maintained hedges I just remove the new growth slowly and use a hand held clipper when I am not confident enough the petrol trimmer it just takes practice I guess.

A lot of the hedges I have been doing on jobs are very un tidy and have not been done before or for a while.

I did one the other day and the owner said I want it to look like that pointing to a immaculate hedge in his neighbors yard I looked back at his odd arrangement of different heights and spacing and thought ok….

I bought the Echo hedge trimmer (off Dean of course ) with the i-start and swivel handle. A damm fine unit, it gets used a bit and i have never had any problems in the 2 years i have owned it.

I just have to remember to spray it with lanolin each time i use it so i can keep the blades looking good.

I trim the hedges on a strata property every couple of weeks that takes between 2-3 hours to do.

I've found that it all comes down to experience - the more hedges you trim the better you will get.

Take your time, don't rush. Occasionally stand back & have a look at what you've done. A good eye for details helps too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stanhope Gardens And Lawns

Gardening & landscaping, lawn mowing, strata cleaning & maintenance, high pressure cleaning

Residential | Real estate | Strata | Industrial & commercial

https://stratamaintenance.net
    https://stanhopegardensandlawns.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by NWGL
    I trim the hedges on a strata property every couple of weeks that takes between 2-3 hours to do.

I've found that it all comes down to experience - the more hedges you trim the better you will get.

Take your time, don't rush. Occasionally stand back & have a look at what you've done. A good eye for details helps too.

Thats exactly right, it helps if you can get as far away from it as possible to check out your work as you go, across the street is always good if you can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast